Finally a worthy opponent ...99 Terminated cobro vs 00 LS1 catfish

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
After disposing of various chargers, chrysler 300s and GT mustangs I was getting kind of bored this spring...Until I caught a catfish

Driving down a county road I saw a camaro waiting to turn so I threw a rev at him while I drove by. It got his attention, he made the turn and I saw him in my rear view mirror weaving in and out of traffic to catch up. He caught up to me on the left and what do you know, the light we were approaching turns red. Up ahead there are some car guys at a local hangout with vettes, GT500s with their eyes locked on us. I get all gitty like a jr high girl and somewhat nervous ...yeah I got nervous what of it?

We exchange some friendly conversation, i compliment his car, he says he loves cobras blah blah blah... He said it was an LS1 with an intake, longtubes and catback, and a tune. I tell him whats done to mine and then we just kind of mind our own business after that. We didnt talk about running, but I think we both knew what was up.

We both take off pretty slow, anticipating the hit I hear him stomp on it around 15-20mph. I immediately respond and let the eaton rape his ears. I Spun the Mickey ETs a bit in first but managed to put him back at my bumper, then made a below average shift to 2nd and he managed to get the front of his car right at my door. We shut down around 70 or so as we ran out of room. His car was extremely loud, only thing I could hear over it was the eaton screaming.

Just a quick little race, thought I would of pulled him alot more but it was fun none the less. Gotta get a little better with my shifting, car still has the stock T45 in it, its super notchy.

KushBandit

Established Member
Nice kill. As Zemedici said, they're strong cars. I'm a fan of LS cars, they definitely aren't to be taken lightly.

With that said, it sounds like your Cobra runs harder. Ever take it to a drag strip?

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
Thanks guys. I've never ran the car at the strip, the previous owner claimed he ran an 11.4 in it but no proof to back it up.

Traction continues to be an issue for the car. I'm running 305 35 18 et street radials, they hook pretty good most times but its only in the high 50s today so that didn't help. He may have spun too for all I know.

Ls1 cars do run strong without a doubt, i would of really had my hands full if he was cammed.

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
Little update. I ran into this guys buddy at a local car meet. Turns out he lied about his mods just a tad. His buddy says he has an aftermarket cam, which was obvious by the rough idle it had ...but he also said he has a thousand bucks into his stock heads, port and whatever else.

Also my intercooler pump has been shot for quite some time now. Im almost positive the pump has been shot since I bought the car, so im sure the IATs are through the roof.

So that kind of explains why I beat him by 1/2 a car only.

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
Good kill, definitely on borrowed time with that stock T-45.

To be completely honest, I am absolutely in shock at how much abuse this T45 has taken this summer. I havent done any clutch drops but I have power shifted the hell out of it several times and it just keeps going. I might send her off to the T45 source this summer to get it beefed up.

stangfreak

Established Member
Nice kill man. GT mustangs? People tell me tune exhaust only new gt will kill a pulley cobra. I heard there going after 2000 hp GTR's now with that setup. =x

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
To be completely honest, I am absolutely in shock at how much abuse this T45 has taken this summer. I havent done any clutch drops but I have power shifted the hell out of it several times and it just keeps going. I might send her off to the T45 source this summer to get it beefed up.

Do your research before you decide you want to do that. IMO, you're better off just picking up a T56 from someone going auto.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
Thats a great kill! I think the T45 doesnt get enough credit as a tough SOB, mine has been raped in my cobra for years and still shifting like butter. :)

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Do your research before you decide you want to do that. IMO, you're better off just picking up a T56 from someone going auto.

T-45 is a tough transmission once its built. Not to mention, you'll have the same money into buying a stock t-56 as you would building a t-45 with everything good.

Now granted the T-45 can only go so far in terms of holding power, all about the end goal really.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Op I see your from MN too! You'll love the tvs blower! I really need to switch to e85.

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
Op I see your from MN too! You'll love the tvs blower! I really need to switch to e85.

Yeah I live right in coon rapids off highway 10. Id have the TVS installed already but im waiting for DB performance to fit me in their schedule. They are booked through august so I might just run the eaton all summer and make the switch in the fall. Im assuming you are running 93 on your TVS? What numbers did you see?

And if you are going to street nationals in july we should meet up, id love to see your car.

Users who are viewing this thread