Finally finished the brakes...almost

Bingo13

Established Member
I finally installed the Baer EradiSpeed+ rotors on all four corners. The Alcon four piston calipers are still on back order but should be here for next week's project. I am running the Hawk HPS Plus pads in the front and Porterfield R4-S pads in the rear. Even with the stock calipers the car stops very quickly now and all fade is gone in heavy traffic. :D

cobratirefronter.jpg

cobratirefronter2.jpg

cobratirerearer3.jpg

cobratirerearer1.jpg

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Did you ever run the upgraded pad on the stock rotors?

If so, what felt like it helped more the pads or the rotors? I really want to upgrage brakes before the end of the year.

Also, prices / where to order the pads and rotors if you don't mind.

Thanks.

stangin

Established Member
Better Discs

I have never had a problem with brake fade on my 03 even slowing down fast from a highspeed run, but they do look nice. :)

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Re: Better Discs

Originally posted by stangin
I have never had a problem with brake fade on my 03 even slowing down fast from a highspeed run, but they do look nice. :)

I've smoked mine coming down from 140+ several times.

I really didn't feel like I could get on them any more than I did, but I wished I could have.

ntechnic

Established Member
I like Baer brake parts in general, had a lot on my last Stang. But, personally I avoid drilled rotors like the plague, I just want the slots.

I've heard conflicting reports on the price for the 2-piece EradiSpeed+ rotors. How much did you pay?

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
Did you ever run the upgraded pad on the stock rotors?

If so, what felt like it helped more the pads or the rotors? I really want to upgrage brakes before the end of the year.

Also, prices / where to order the pads and rotors if you don't mind.

Thanks.

I ran the Hawk HPS Pads and Porterfield R4-S (tried both) on the stock brakes after 250 miles until this change. They stop better than the stock pads and produce less brake dust. I would highly suggest making this change on the car for improved braking. There will be a noticeable difference in the braking of the vehicle with a really good set of pads on the front and rear. I would go with the Hawk HPS pads or for a slightly more aggressive pad (autocross needs) the Porterfield R4-S for street duty. I have not tried the PFC pads yet although several friends recommend them highly.

I noticed the biggest difference when changing over to the new rotors with the upgraded pads. I have very little brake travel, great modulation, and no fade issues in traffic or braking from the banzi runs. This will only improve with the new calipers. I plan on doing some recreational open track events (track pads in the garage)and autocross events this year. I wanted to concentrate on the handling aspects of the car before adding anymore power.

I had a local shop order the parts for me. The rotors were $749.95, $119 for the braded stainless steel lines, and $189 for a set of four Porterfield R4-S pads if memory serves me. I will switch to the R4-S on the front once the new calipers are installed. The calipers were a special deal. ;-)

Another option is to install the '00R Brembo system. I think the price of that kit is very good at this time.

I had the Baer Plus system on my Saleen and M3 that use to see a fair amount of track duty and never had any issues so I stuck with Baer for this car.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by ntechnic
I like Baer brake parts in general, had a lot on my last Stang. But, personally I avoid drilled rotors like the plague, I just want the slots.

I've heard conflicting reports on the price for the 2-piece EradiSpeed+ rotors. How much did you pay?

I have never had any issues with drilled rotors when using a high quality supplier like Baer. I did have issues with an OE type drilled rotor on a fox body. They cracked in six months.

Baer has an excellent warranty on these rotors. If you do not season the rotors and pads correctly then you will have issues even with these units over the long term.

I paid $749.95 for the set of four rotors. The price from my shop will run up to $769.95 depending on the discount level you get from repeat business. ;-)

Last edited:

Bingo13

Established Member
Re: Re: Better Discs

Originally posted by slythetove
I've smoked mine coming down from 140+ several times.

I really didn't feel like I could get on them any more than I did, but I wished I could have.

After my first panic stop from 160+ I changed the pads the next day not too mention other things. ;-) Once I decided to keep the car I ordered the brake system. This car is too heavy and too fast (not mine) to not spend some money on the brakes and handling. The coil-overs help a fair amount in braking the car also.

Cobra'03

Established Member
I thought the rule of thumb was to avoid drilled rotors unless you are going to increase the diameter, since you lose a lot of "land" when you drill, and need to increase the size to offset that. The total swept area decreases.

You can often see the results of this on tuner cars that are actually performance tested - often, the braking distance 60-0 is longer, due to the effect above, non-integrated components (pads, rotors, calipers, etc), using pads that need to be hot to do well, and are therefore less beneficial for normal street driving, etc.

I am very leery of messing with brake components unless it is an integrated solution for the kind of driving I intend to do - I have had track setup Vettes that scared me when street driven, as there was poor braking perf until I got the rotors and pads hot.

Your setup looks great though, but be mindful of style over substance.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I wish I got the eradispeed+ rotors now. There is an inch area on the inside of the front rotors that isnt swept by the pad. Its starting to look tacky.
I think ive already warped them, too.

-Homer

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
If you guys want to help keep your rotors in good shape, the first thing is to remove all the dust shields. Next, pick up some 3" silicone hose and run a cooling duct from next to your fog lights, back to the k-member, along the tie rods, ending right at the back center of the rotor. Finally season your new rotors. See Baer's site for good instructions on that. The stock 13" Brembos should be good enough for any street driving if all of this is done.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
I thought the rule of thumb was to avoid drilled rotors unless you are going to increase the diameter, since you lose a lot of "land" when you drill, and need to increase the size to offset that. The total swept area decreases.

You can often see the results of this on tuner cars that are actually performance tested - often, the braking distance 60-0 is longer, due to the effect above, non-integrated components (pads, rotors, calipers, etc), using pads that need to be hot to do well, and are therefore less beneficial for normal street driving, etc.

You are correct and I only chose an integrated package designed for this car. I was not going for style over substance. I have had this same type of package on a Saleen before that spent more time in weekend open track and autocross events than it did on the street. The calipers chosen are excellent and if it were not for the recreational track event the stock ones would work great for the street. Our PBR two caliper units are better than some four caliper units I can remember. The Porterfield R4-S brake pads in my experience are excellent when cold or hot and can be driven at the autocross events without worries and work great after a few quarter mile runs or banzi slowdowns. If I go back to 18" wheels then I will use the 14" rotors (on the bench) on the front.

I can honestly say that these brakes will stop the car far quicker than the stock system. Once the calipers go on I will measure and report the distances. I have already measured the stock system with and without stock pads. Today is seasoning day for the pads and rotors. :D

I usually wear my flame suit when mentioning Baer components but they have not failed me yet (turbo M3/wife's M5 also)and the Plus/Plus One series are very good products. It would be nice if more people spoke of braking and handling on this forum. I still have a lot to learn with this car.

:beer:

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
If you guys want to help keep your rotors in good shape, the first thing is to remove all the dust shields. Next, pick up some 3" silicone hose and run a cooling duct from next to your fog lights, back to the k-member, along the tie rods, ending right at the back center of the rotor.

I should send pictures of what I am doing this afternoon after seasoning the pads/rotors. ;-)

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by Bingo13
You are correct and I only chose an integrated package designed for this car. I was not going for style over substance. I have had this same type of package on a Saleen before that spent more time in weekend open track and autocross events than it did on the street. The calipers chosen are excellent and if it were not for the recreational track event the stock ones would work great for the street. Our PBR two caliper units are better than some four caliper units I can remember. The Porterfield R4-S brake pads in my experience are excellent when cold or hot and can be driven at the autocross events without worries and work great after a few quarter mile runs or banzi slowdowns. If I go back to 18" wheels then I will use the 14" rotors (on the bench) on the front.

I can honestly say that these brakes will stop the car far quicker than the stock system. Once the calipers go on I will measure and report the distances. I have already measured the stock system with and without stock pads. Today is seasoning day for the pads and rotors. :D

I usually wear my flame suit when mentioning Baer components but they have not failed me yet (turbo M3/wife's M5 also)and the Plus/Plus One series are very good products. It would be nice if more people spoke of braking and handling on this forum. I still have a lot to learn with this car.

:beer:

Well stated - clearly you put a lot of thought into it, and I look forward to your measurements.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread