Finally got my cobra, first time at track...

balla530

Established Member
finally ended up getting my cobra... 2004 tr with 15k miles and a 75k powertrain warranty... got a good price on the car. the car has a magnaflow catback, intake, and a sct maf, took it to the track this last wednesday sacramento super speedway.. it was actually my first time ever running at the track my first run was a 13.65 @ 112.2...went up n down from there mostly in the low 13's between 13.0-13.3 my best run of the night was a 12.98 @ 111.868 with a .147 reaction i let my brother run it 2x and his best was a 12.94 @ 112, I have stock tires all the way around and i am getting almost no traction in first with a 1800 rpm launch... and I got wheel hop real bad a couple of times wich really slowed me down, I have been reading around on ways to cure this and it looks like I need upper and lower control arms, and I'm also picking up a pair of drag radials probably the nitto 555's. i've been floating around the site for quite some time, havn't posted too many times never had the car.... well I really want to better my times at the track.. I know the car can go down the 1/4 alot faster than the times i hit the way it sits... any suggestions on driving launching??? or what mods I should do next, and also I want to try and cure the wheel hop before this coming up wednesday before I go back out... any suggestions on what or what parts I should go with ??? ohh btw one more thing i'm getting a noise from the shifter when I drive .. kind of hard to describe it but it has been a constant thing ever since i've had the car... can it just be that its the shifter (stock) or can it be a throwout bearing ??? anyone else have this prob??

thanks alot jazz

Last edited:

Dallas03Cobra

Established Member
Your launches is whats killing your times. I had bad wheel hop till I got new springs, went with a Pro Kit cause I don't like that lowered look, only dropped me an inch. Looks nice and NO wheel hop. I to have street tires. After reading on here the best thing to do for hop is change out the Bushings in the rear, get a Billet flow brace to protect from hard launching and Springs.

I ran a 12.65 today and I have crappy launches, my 1/8th miles are ugly. Your times will go down with practice.

The noise you here is normal if the shifter is not stock, get the Cobra Bob's gasket and most of that will go away.

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
Your times are similar to mine my first time out. But your trapping 4-5mph faster. What were your 60' times like? If you want help the wheel hop issue check out Postban's cure for wheel hop. You'll find it in the suspension section under Terminators. The biggest things are sub frame connectors, urathane bushings, irs brackets and brace, and a good set of drag radials.

balla530

Established Member
thanks for the input... what do you think's the first thing I can change out before next wednesday to see improvements on the wheel hop at the track?? my 60 ' times are as follows
2.190 on my best run of 12.987 @ 111.868
2.420 13.350 @ 113.759
2.556 13.657 @ 112.12 -- 1st run
2.285 13.035 @ 109.035
2.416 13.495 @ 108.694
??? 14.545 @ ???? threw slip out dissapointed ( hop/missed 2nd)

also whats the best place to get the bushings/ parts???any particular billit flow brace??
and where can I find cobra bobs gasket ???

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
As far as going to the track this Wednesday you better not go if you can't let out of the gas when your car wheelhops!:fm: If you can't let out of it then you ARE going to break something and it's going to get expensive fast!

For wheelhop
1. Billet Flow IRS brace! This does not help cure wheelhop just keeps your pumpking from exploding!

2. ac427cobra bushing kit. He's a member on here and you can find his posts in the Cobra R forum. Just pm him and he'll contact you back. Or I think he's in the Cobra section under suspension.

3. H&R race springs

Users who are viewing this thread