Finally quieten down the noisy rear end on my GT500

Trays GT

SVT Driver
Established Member
Well I purchased a J&M Adjustable Panhard Bar and installed and was unable to grease the driver side after install. So after about 3 months I started getting a clucking noise from the rear that was pronounced going through parking lots and stuff like that. So I finally got some time and stuck the car on the rack and changed out the straight fittings for 45 degree fittings and grease them. I starting tapping on things under the car to replicate the noise and hit the panhard bar and noticed the adjustment was clucking. I put a wrench on the center hold and took a wrench to tighten the nut where it had backed off slightly. Now atleast I knew where it was coming from. If it happens I will mark the bar and adjustment and take off to put a dab of Loc-tite on the threads. If anyone else has a similar issue, here is a place to check.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
That's a new one. But its always good to keep parts lubed

barspen

Established Member
Me too

I have a similar issue which is very noticeable on the rear passenger side. Not sure if it's my J&M Extreme LCA's or the BMR adjustable Panhard bar. I need to take the panhard bar off to isolate the issue.

I have re-greased and re-torqued 3 times and it seem worse after I tighten things down. After a few days, the noise seems less pronounced, but there is still a distinctive "Crunch" when backing out of my sloped driveway. Zerks on the LCA may be clogged up since they ooze grease...just not sure that is the real problem.

I have no issue with normal driving...only when going over bumps. Going in reverse seems much worse than driving strait over a speed bump.

Trays GT

SVT Driver
Established Member
Mine was a clucking like a shock..LCA...etc was loose. Just come to find out the lock down nut on the panhard bar had backed off slightly and the slack in the adjustment was causing the clunk.

barspen

Established Member
Tightened up the Panhard brace bolts tonight (Forgot to tighten it down when I installed the BMR Panhard bar). Still getting the same "crunch" noise when I back out of my angled driveway. Will try to remove the Panhard bar this weekend to see if I can isolate the issue better.:shrug: The adjustment bolts seem snug. I have blue Loctite on them.

Last edited:

Trays GT

SVT Driver
Established Member
I didn't realize what my noise was until i banged on the panhard bar at the adjustment and heard the same noise I was hearing inside the car. Thats when I found the adjustment nut loose. Hummm....a "crunch" noise. That seems it could be difficult to find. Maybe a dry spring isolator or something.

FordTech24

Established Member
I Just put on the J & M extreme UCA and LCA, drove it home and noticed clunk from every bump I hit. I went back retightened everything, still nothing. I am going to take my J & M UCA off and see if its still making noise. ALL wheel hop is gone now but The clunking is horrible. Has anyone seen and good clips or a good way to connect the brake cable with the LCA so It does not look as bad as zip ties.

Last edited:

barspen

Established Member
Has anyone seen and good clips or a good way to connect the brake cable with the LCA so It does not look as bad as zip ties.

I bought some metal zip ties on eBay ($5) and sniped them. Cheap, works well and they don't look bad...especially since it is hard to see them unless you get near the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread