Finally starting to get somewhere - 1969 Mach 1

Fast69Mach

Established Member
So I've been pretty busy lately, but have gotten a little bit done on the car.

Most of the sheet metal is fitted, but nothing is really welded in yet besides the frame rails. I wanted to test fit the motor before I welded everything up to see if I needed to make room anywhere else.

406996528.jpg

Test fitting suspension pieces.
406996531.jpg

I completely assembled the front end to check alignment, and it's almost perfect. A few tabs to straighten, and it'll fit nice and tight.
406996529.jpg

Suspension clearance after cutting the first shock tower. The tape is only there to give me an idea on how much room I have when test fitting the engine, and everything will be welded up once I'm happy with the fitment.
406996534.jpg

Both cut, and I realize the cuts aren't exactly the same on both sides, I will clean them up before I finish weld them. They are coming back out to clean up before the final install.
406996536.jpg

Andddd it's in! Dropped right in, with no real issues.
406996537.jpg

Header clearance. I have tons of room for work! Jealous?
406996539.jpg

Ground clearance for headers. Pacesetter LTs right out of the box, no modding yet. I will have to dimple one tube on the passenger side because it's close to the frame rail, but otherwise they fit better than the Hooker headers in my dad's 70' that were made for that car! If you look close you can see a little bit of the header hanging right below the frame rail. Ignore the mess in the background, I'm working in a pretty cramped space lol.
406996538.jpg

This week hopefully I will finish up the shock towers and weld everything up. Once that's done, I will be starting on the back of the car. Should be interesting!

Last edited:

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
looks great ! nice work i love the 69's it will be a blast with the Terminator engine in it !!!!!!!

do you ever post on the vintage mustang forums ? great informative site there too.

Fast69Mach

Established Member
looks great ! nice work i love the 69's it will be a blast with the Terminator engine in it !!!!!!!

do you ever post on the vintage mustang forums ? great informative site there too.

Thanks, the only think I'm concerned about with this car is fun.

I used to post on VMF, but haven't been there in a while. What I'm doing to my car would normally be considered blasphemy over there, so I don't really have much interest. This post is more of just a show-and-tell than seeking technical help anyways.

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
it will be tons of fun with that engine transplanted into it ! That same engine really woke up my 98 V6 lol

here's my 68 in True Blue :)
DSC00952.jpg

Fast69Mach

Established Member
it will be tons of fun with that engine transplanted into it ! That same engine really woke up my 98 V6 lol

here's my 68 in True Blue :)

That car looks great! I'm thinking about doing a 65-68 after I'm done with this car. I'm also still trying to decide what color this car will be painted. I love the way it looked when it was white, but maybe just a different shade of white. I've also always loved Sonic Blue, Bright Atlantic Blue, and now Deep Impact Blue. Decisions decisions....

Fast69Mach

Established Member
All of the welding is done in the engine bay, and I will have some pics later today. It's about ready for some filler and primer, then it's on to the rear.

Pricing out this IRS, at least the way I want to build it, is getting a little painful! Something in the neighborhood of $4500! Keep in mind though, this is with DSS Pro-level axles, FTBR bushings, Ford Racing Diff cover, new diff + gears + bearings, upgraded toe link bars, bumpsteer kit, new cross axis joints, etc. I have this thing about wanting to build things right the first time, because I only want to spend the money once. Hopefully with these parts, I won't be able to break anything.

Fast69Mach

Established Member
So I have been doing some work on this thing, but haven't taken many pictures. I've sold off most of the Eaton stuff, and will be ordering my House of Boost 4VR bracket soon here. I'm also keeping my eyes open for a F1 head unit.

I ordered my suspension today, and a friend is dropping off an 8.8 out of a SN95 car. I decided the IRS will be more work than it's really worth in the end, and am now doing an Art Morrison 4-bar rear suspension, with a Whiteline Watts link and Strange coil overs. Those should show up some time next week. I also picked up some True Forged Mach 5 wheels. This thing is slowly coming together, and I'll take more pics once I feel it looks good enough to share.

1slo5ohh

Established Member
Cars looking great man! I'd love to do a coyote swap in my 69 but I'm pretty sure they are wider then the mod motors and by the looks of your engine bay I'm not sure there would be room. Keep the pics coming!

cobraboss

Established Member
I'm putting a coyote motor in my 69. Do have the t-56 in it. Had to cut the brace in the tunnel and do a little for shifter. On that rear, I went with the 8.8 with a full GR350 supension on the car.

Fast69Mach

Established Member
Thanks for the comments guys. I've been taking a break from the car for a little while now, we've been doing some work on the house and the garage was completely packed with stuff that is normally inside the house. While all of this has been going on, I've just been collecting parts and saving money. In the next month a lot of work will be getting done, and I'm going to try and have it on the road by Spring.

cobrajet10

Installing 2010 5.4L cobra jet engine in my 69 Coupe former SS car. Used same AJE K-member and rack and pinion set up. Its tight had to take a little more shock tower than you. At the what to do for headers stage. Do your Pace Setters work with steering shaft? If so what primary pipe size. Thanks

Fast69Mach

Established Member
Nothing much to update right now, started a new job in January and I've been working out of town ever since. I'm also buying a house soon, so nothing much will likely happen until roughly March. Once I'm working closer to home though, game on!

Users who are viewing this thread