Finally starting to get somewhere - 1969 Mach 1

Fast69Mach

Established Member
Well guys, I finally feel like starting a thread on my 69' Mach 1.

It started life as a bare-bones 1969 Mach 1, H code automatic car built in San Jose, CA. It had power steering, and manual drum brakes. As far as I know, the car has never left Northern California. I got the car in 2003, and it was in so-so shape. I picked it up for $8500, and drove it home. It had rust in the doors, cracked shock towers (one of which had been replaced previously), and worn out suspension, but I was 17 and didn't care because it was mine.

The first round of mods to the car were some Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and intake, a decent cam (don't remember the specs anymore), 650 Barry Grant carb and some longtubes. :rockon: The car ran pretty well for a couple months, but all the new parts proved to be too much for the bone stock shortblock, with unknown miles on it. This is where my troubles started.

The first person I took the car to slapped everything together, and it never really ran right. I should have known better, but I was 17 and hadn't yet learned the ways of the world. After it started losing oil pressure after putting 100 or so miles on it, I pulled the motor back out and took it back. Of course he tried to blame me, because I was 17 and he knew what he was doing, so I took my motor to someone else.

This guy was supposed to be "the BEST engine builder" in my area. Of course it was one of my good friends that was telling me this, so I thought I'd give him a try. I dropped the motor off, and didn't see it again for 9 months. Phone call after phone call was ignored, and he was never there when I came by. One day I did finally catch him, and he had just finished the shortblock. After some words were exchanged, I ended up taking my shortblock and all my parts home, where I finished assembling everything. I took my time, measured everything, and went by the book when assembling it. This time, it was 11:1 compression, balanced rotating assembly, same heads, bigger cam and a victor jr intake. I also swapped in a c4 w/3500 stall, 4.11's and a trak-lock center section to my 9" rear. I fired the car up, and went through the whole cam break in procedure. The car was running great, and I was finally starting to get excited about it again. I drove it around real easy for two weeks, and put around 150 miles on it before even trying to hammer the throttle.

163888601.jpg

One day after school I stopped to get some gas, with my dad in the car. I was pulling out of the station, and when I got the car pointing straight, I laid into the throttle. Tires smoking, the car had more power than ever. Until I shifted into 2nd gear... A loud BANG followed by a lot of metallic clattering was all I heard. I was heartbroken. Before the car even came rolling to a stop, I knew the motor was done. By sheer luck, a friend of mine that drove a tow truck saw me sitting there on the side of the road, and gave me a tow home. I had the motor out, and apart in less than two hours, and this is what I found-
104032029.jpg

104032393.jpg

The motor broke the top ring lands on 5 pistons, which was an automatic red flag. After some research, I found out that the pistons I had used (Keith Blacks) require different ring gaps for the top rings, which the mechanic that assembled the shortblock completely ignored. I was furious. The car spent 9 months with this guy, and all the money I threw at it was gone. First thing I did after all this, was show up at the guys house, and what do you know? His truck wasn't there. I kept going there every day for 2 weeks, and never saw him again. One day I drove by, and his son's car was in the driveway so I stopped. Turns out the guy had passed away. He was an alcoholic, and diabetic, and passed away a couple days after I picked up my stuff.

I had just sunk a little over $5000 into the car, so obviously fixing it at this point wasn't really possible. I basically put the car away for a while, going from storage unit to storage unit, then to a buddies garage that I was renting for a while. He wasn't using the garage at all, and I figured I might as well pay him instead of a storage facility right? I had lost interest in the car for a long time, and would do little things to it here and there over the course of a few years, but nothing major. I replaced some sheet metal, had the car media blasted, then slowly starting gaining interest in it again.
105020172.jpg

I had toyed with a few ideas here and there, and since it needed front frame rails, and shock towers anyways, I thought why not? I grafted on the front end of an 03' Mach 1 that my buddy bought that was totaled from the rear. I also picked up an IRS from an 03' Cobra that I modified to fit. I wish I had taken more pictures, because it didn't look half bad. I got it far enough to sit on all 4 wheels, but it was FAR from finished. I just started getting busy again, and I had just gotten engaged so the car was put on the back burner once again. This is how it sat-
404107670.jpg

I went off to Basic Training for the Army, so that I could go to school. Of course when I came back I was no longer engaged, so I had more time to spend on the car :banana:. I was having trouble finding direction with it though, until recently. I didn't want to have to do a bunch of custom fabrication to get the front end finished, so I decided to scrap the idea. Here's what I've got so far-

AJE front suspension
03 Cobra steering rack
03 Cobra based engine
TKO600 (was going to do a t56 Magnum, but I don't want to hack up my trans tunnel)
Baer 6 Piston 13" front brakes
03 Cobra IRS w/FTBR bushings
Mini tubbed rear
AFS 03 Mach 1 replica wheels, 17x9 + 17x10.5 staggered
04 Cobra seats w/dark suede inserts, or 03 Mach 1 seats (haven't made up my mind yet!)

There's a bunch of various things I will be doing over the next few months, and progress will likely be slow. I will update this thread as often as I feel there's enough progress to report!

Here's what I did over the last couple days-

New sheet metal-
406203689.jpg

Tear down-
406203693.jpg

First repairs-
406203695.jpg

Started prepping shock towers for the AJE setup-
406203692.jpg

AJE Colt 65 front suspension-
406203694.jpg

Can't wait to get more decent weather and time to get things done on this car. After I get the front squared away, the rear will be getting attention.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Great build, so far. I wish I could replace frame rails like you can, weld, and fabricate stuff. My 69' mach 1 has those rust bubbles at the top of the frame rails and are driving me crazy.

This car is going to be awesome when completed.

Fast69Mach

Established Member
Great build, so far. I wish I could replace frame rails like you can, weld, and fabricate stuff. My 69' mach 1 has those rust bubbles at the top of the frame rails and are driving me crazy.

This car is going to be awesome when completed.

Thanks, I appreciate it! I've had a lot of practice working with sheet metal, and honestly I can't wait until I'm past this part! This is the first time I've gone this deep though, so it will be a tedious process.

There's a few ways you can get rid of those rust spots in the engine bay. Stripping one of these engine bays down isn't too bad after some of the others I've done! Eastwood makes some pretty good products for stopping rust. Might be worth looking in to!

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Thanks, I appreciate it! I've had a lot of practice working with sheet metal, and honestly I can't wait until I'm past this part! This is the first time I've gone this deep though, so it will be a tedious process.

There's a few ways you can get rid of those rust spots in the engine bay. Stripping one of these engine bays down isn't too bad after some of the others I've done! Eastwood makes some pretty good products for stopping rust. Might be worth looking in to!

How did you strip your engine bay down, if you don't mind me asking? Did you do any sanding or anything like that?

and did you have those rust bubbles that form in between the sections of the shock towers?

Sorry for so many questions, this is my first time doing any extensive resto work on a car.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
You've passed one test already..... just keeping the car for so long! I've seen too many times to count where cars have gotten torn down, only to be sold off after years of little to no activity with them stripped. Stick with it, you're on the right track!

Fast69Mach

Established Member
How did you strip your engine bay down, if you don't mind me asking? Did you do any sanding or anything like that?

and did you have those rust bubbles that form in between the sections of the shock towers?

Sorry for so many questions, this is my first time doing any extensive resto work on a car.

In between the fender aprons and the shock towers on top you mean? The first time I did any repairs I just cut out the rusted sections and welded in new metal. I had the car media blasted a while back, so the only sections that didn't get blasted are areas like inside the torque boxes, and frame rails.

Fast69Mach

Established Member
You've passed one test already..... just keeping the car for so long! I've seen too many times to count where cars have gotten torn down, only to be sold off after years of little to no activity with them stripped. Stick with it, you're on the right track!

Yeah, I was almost there a couple of times. I had to choose between selling my 04' Cobra or my Mach, and I chose to sell the Cobra. I don't plan on selling this car any time soon, unless it's to fund another project like a Boss 302/429 or gt40.

Fast69Mach

Established Member
I've been waiting for the rest of my sheet metal to show up, but while waiting I've picked up a few things...

01 Cobra motor, teksid block.
406424358.jpg

Yes, that is another motor in the background. Not for my car though. I'm throwing that one in a friend's GT this weekend.

Timing set for the above motor-
406424359.jpg

Most recent purchase -
406424366.jpg

406424365.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics, but by the time I think to take pictures of anything I'm dead tired and in the process of cleaning up. More to come soon too.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
so far so good. Just keep doing a little at a time and before you know it the work will be done.

Fast69Mach

Established Member
Put my 2013 GT500 oil pan on last night, and it looks and fits great. I'll put some pictures up tomorrow. I had to modify the AJE k-member slightly to get it to fit, but nothing major. I also ordered some longtubes, and hopefully they'll fit without too much work. My 03 Cobra timing cover should be here next week, and then the valve covers are off to powder coat. Next is finding a transmission, and ordering my wiring harness from Ron Francis Wiring.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Are you using the 'Dave Stribling' kit for the IRS install? (I think they used to be DVS).

Are you sure you can't fit a T56 in there? I know its hard to get into a 65-66, but I have seen several installed in 67+ cars.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
I am pretty sure you are correct. I don't remember seeing any 1st or 2nd gen mustangs with Mod motors & the stock shock towers. There may be a little more room in a '69, but I don't think its going to fit.

DSC01786.JPG

Fast69Mach

Established Member
great build! any thoughts on what transmission youll be going with? i have a tko 600 in my 68 and would reccomend it to everyone!

I was thinking TKO600, but I keep looking at the T56 Magnum XL. I took a bunch of measurements today, and the XL for the S197 cars would put the shifter exactly where I want it. Hmm... Decisions. I'll have to modify the trans tunnel for it, but that's nothing major considering what I'm already doing.

Fast69Mach

Established Member
Are you using the 'Dave Stribling' kit for the IRS install? (I think they used to be DVS).

Are you sure you can't fit a T56 in there? I know its hard to get into a 65-66, but I have seen several installed in 67+ cars.

I looked at the DVS kits, and with the factory frame rails in place you can't get enough suspension travel out of the IRS with it as low as I want it. So I'm doing something different. I'll post more on that when I get there.

The T56 won't fit in a stock trans tunnel without dropping the motor down, but ground clearance is important to me. I will modify the trans tunnel if I decide to get the T56 Magnum XL.

Fast69Mach

Established Member
I am pretty sure you are correct. I don't remember seeing any 1st or 2nd gen mustangs with Mod motors & the stock shock towers. There may be a little more room in a '69, but I don't think its going to fit.

Normally, no it wouldn't fit. Since I am running the AJE front, I will be cutting out most of the shock tower. I considered buying the Dynacorn notched shock towers for the 67-68s, but got a good deal on the factory replacements without the motor mounts / lower control arm mounts. It'll be tight, but it will fit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread