First 03 Mach 1 dyno

chassebr

Established Member
Just thought you O3 owners might like to see this.

Well as promised got the mach1 dynoed today. If anyone is local the guys over at Springfield Motorsports are great.

Alright enough with the suspense.

SAE corrected---- HP= 282.3 and the torque was 311.1

Actual numbers-- HP=297 and the torque was 327.3

anybody guess those numbers?? Car had 490 miles on it. The 'Dyno Man' was very impressed and said it was the best torque curve he ever saw in a stock 4 valve. I hope to have the graphs scanned and up soon just wanted to give the max numbers.

Here is the link the the thread were this was posted...
http://www.mach1registry.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1731

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
hp sounds good but the tq seems high. I think those dyno numbers are what the 99-01 cobra should have been dynoing at.

Either way, sounds like the Mach 1 will be a great car. :)

Silver 03 Cobra

The mach 1 is cammed different compared to the 01 Cobra 4V for more torque. Looks like it was underated. The HP is high too. 300 crank should be 255 at the wheels. Looks like the Mach 1 has some potential to kick a few SS's asses.

i8u

Established Member
The guy needs to post his dyno sheet......

Untill then I don't believe it just like the 5th gear chirp post chassebr mentioned earlyier.

SVTyballz

Established Member
oh sheeeeeesh i can hear it now........................if ya slap a blower on it, it will be faster than a cobra AND it has a solid rear axle.................... if if if if if .................. go ahead, "slap" 16 lbs of boost on that high compression motor............. Oh well. Seriously, those are very nice numbers. That woudl be cool if Ford had TWO different models out there that are faster than a C5............BWAHAAHAhaahahahahahah Cor-WHAT?!?!?!?!

gary

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
SVTyballz-- Alot of the GM owners have been saying that too. I guess some people don't understand. SVT didn't just slap on a supercharger for the 03 year. The cobra went from an NA car to a Forced induction car. That doesn't mean that the cobra should be faster than every stock NA V8, it just means that now the cobra gets power from forced induction. Just like the TT Supra, stock they run low 13's, maybe high 12's right? Well, if I had an NA V8( like the SS or Ram Air or Mach1) and beat a stock supra I wouldn't say " I just beat a twin turbo car!" The supra has so much potential because it is already a turbo car.
Anyway, sorry for the long post, back to the mach 1!:burnout:

zxport3

Established Member
Negative, Negative, Negative Those torque numbers are not to high they are right on par. Its the horse power numbers that are low. Be advised the mach 1 is not just a 2001 cobra engine with a ram air hood. It sports new cams for more torque, flowed upperintake to meet the needs of the ram air hood, ported exhaust manifolds, better flowing cats and mufflers a solid rear end and 3 55 gears. This my friends is a awsome little package. Give it some beefy nitto drag radials and a 4 10 gear and you have a recipe for 12.90's in the quarter mile.

chassebr

Established Member
Fords official numbers are 305 and 320 but this was a document that was leaked months and months ago. It shows horsepower and torque numbers that are very close to what this guy dynoed at. It also shows the difference between the auto and manual transmission types.

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
damn, I didn't realize there was already a post about the new dyno on the '03 Cobra, my bad
I don't doubt the numbers at all, but I too don't understand where this extra 50lbs of torque is coming from. But I do like how you said it zxport3, right on!!!!!

Litenin75

Established Member
SVTyBALLZ,
Ford does have two models that can beat a C5, but one of them isn't a car. I agree though, two mustangs that smoke C5's would be sweet and a much needed change for the better.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
My only problem with that graph above is the 6850 rpm HP peak. That is 1050 rpm more than the Ford's public information says, and would be very counter to everything I've heard/read about the Mach 1's engine as it pertains to making more low and mid range power than the previous year's DOHC (which had a HP peak of ~6100 rpm).

Additionally, redline is likely 6800 (at most). While the HP number could indeed be accurate, the rpm almost certainly is not.

Regarless, the car will quite obviously have a VERY nice torque and power curve, which when matched with a bit more gear (3.55's) and the solid axle, should make it noticeably and measurably quicker than the previous Cobra's.

kino

Established Member
I can't wait to see the Mach 1s on the street. I reallylike that shaker scoop. Be interesting to see the numbers they start getting out of them and also how well that take to mods. Wonder if they will be a little better than the previous Cobras.

Last edited:

SVTyballz

Established Member
Originally posted by Litenin75
SVTyBALLZ,
Ford does have two models that can beat a C5, but one of them isn't a car. I agree though, two mustangs that smoke C5's would be sweet and a much needed change for the better.

Dammit!! My apologies to the L crew. Big F-up on my part. OK how about 3?!?!?! 2 stangs and a truck.

gary

Users who are viewing this thread