First 03 Mach 1 dyno

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
hmm well thats interesting, like Bob said I'd have a problem, with the redline, Paul Svinki~who ran a preproduction car on nittos, to a 12.98~claimed it felt a lot torquier, but didnt like to rev as much as the '01's also it would appear Ford has a new 4.6 motor~ with a square 3.6x3.6 bore/stroke, ya know as opposed to the 3.55x3.53in bore/stroke of every other 4.6 on the planet (as it comes from Ford) oh and its 280cid

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Also I'm new to motor game-but wouldn't camming the mach1 for tq kinda shut it down as far as horsepower? I thought it had the 5.4 heads(the ones on the maurader) I always thought tq was traded for hp, if ya want a ton of one ya cant have too much of the other (at useful rpm) just a thought.

rpurdy3523

Established Member
Maybe we need a Mach 1 section in the forums. Moderators?? Lord knows as more of them show up there will be plenty of talk about them. I know I sure want to hear more about the car.:-D

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by rpurdy3523
Maybe we need a Mach 1 section in the forums. Moderators?? Lord knows as more of them show up there will be plenty of talk about them. I know I sure want to hear more about the car.:-D
As do I. But I don't look for 2003 Cobra information in the Smack Down forum and vise-versa.

Last edited:

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
I guess you could consider the Mach1 SVT. Ford kindof does because the Mach1 has the same incentives as a Cobra, that is NOTHING. Even though they don't need to offer any the way this thing is selling. My local dealership considers the Mach1 SVT just because of the fact that it's a 4v, but they're morons.
No need to worry, I will never have SVT badging on mine, or say "If it had a blower it would...". I will always respect Cobras and their owners.

rpurdy3523

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
As do I. But I don't look for 2003 Cobra information in the Smack Down forum and vise-versa.

Ummm...that's why I suggested a Mach 1 section.

Last edited by a moderator:

chassebr

Established Member
I would like a Mach 1 section too but there is already an excellent source for this type of information over at mach1registry.com. But it kind of sucks having to log in at yet another Mustang site just to keep current with new information and then switch back to this one to tell your friends.

SonterraSVT

10thAnniversary SVT Cobra
Established Member
Would the Compression be the key factor concerning the Mach 1 Specs of HP and Trq?

Bob Cosby

Established Member
The compression is only part of it. A .25 increase isn't going to do much. It has revised cams, heads, and intake, and likely other minor things, too.

zxport3

Established Member
Your guys cobras are rated at 390 stock but I bet its more in the 425 range. The same goes for the mach1 at 300 horse. I can reassure you that it will be in the 330 horse range.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Wow....typical n/a DOHC dyno graph with the "dip" around 5200 rpm, and another, rather pronounced dip around 4500. Looks like these cars will do well with an aftermarket chip too. It makes one wonder why Ford can't smooth that out from the factory? The fuel looks pretty steady, thus it almost has to be timing - easily fixed with a chip.

The fuel curve is also a bit fat in the upper rpm, so there might be a couple of ponies hiding in a bit of leaning above, say, 5000 rpm or so.

These will make good bolt-on cars....ok, not as good as a blown 03 Cobra, but good by N/A measures. :)

kino

Established Member
Bob makes a good point. To me, it seems Ford needs to polish up the tune on their DOHC engines. I don't see why the torque and HP curves ned to have some many dips in it.

Users who are viewing this thread