First encounter with a new GTO

Bingo13

Established Member
I was out trying a new set of tires yesterday evening (big thumbs up to the 285/35/18 Nitto RIIs on '00R wheels) and ended up attracting the attention of a new yellow GTO.

I was doing around 60mph on an empty stretch of sanctioned "track" when he pulled up next to me. I looked over and at first thought it was a new Cavalier or Grand Prix until I looked closer.

About the time I realized it was a GTO he hit the gas and pulled out in front of me into my lane. I am thinking "what the hell" is this move. I switched lanes, downshifted to third, and pulled up next to him.

As soon as I got beside him and looked over he hit the gas. I floored it, pulled ahead by a couple of cars by 90, and ended up being a good four cars in front by the time I shut it down at 120.

He did a nice flyby, changed lanes, and then slammed on the brakes. I changed lanes quickly and pulled up next to him. He was still slowing down and motioning for me to roll down my window. He stated he wanted to run from 40mph and that he missed a shift on the last run. I grinned at the thought of a 2nd gear launch at 40. I told him to go on the second honk since we were running out of "track". We slowed to 40, downshifted into second, honked once, and off he went. I blew by him shortly and once again had a good four cars on him by 120.

He dropped way behind me and then turned off at the nearest exit so I am putting the driver in the ricer category. I am back to stock except for the cai and catback so I was not that impressed with the performance. However, knowing it weighs about 200lbs than my car and is probably putting down about 65rwhp less puts things into perspective.

I would love to drive one on an open track to see how they handle compared to our car provided it had a decent set of tires on it.

Knowing the vast aftermarket for the LS1 I would except some GTO owners to have some hot setups in the near future. However, just like our car there will be a significant weight penalty to overcome.

At this time I am not that impressed with the looks or performance. I will reserve judgement on the handling until I drive one.

Last edited:

FlatZ28

++Crocodile_Hunter
Established Member
Nice kill

Originally posted by joegt38
Nice kill, The only good thing about the new GTO is the interior and the motor.
Ya, I'm not to hot on the exterior looks either ...

cobra35th

snakebit
Established Member
I still havent seen a GTO around here, although I dont like the looks of them either. I just want to race one, and hopefully beat it.

buckleupkiddies

BOOSTON
Established Member
i raced one in my basically stock (exhaust) lightning and i maybe pulled a half car on him at the light and kept it....he still had the temp. plates and it is stick so maybe he couldnt launch it well yet. we only raced to 100 or so. from a roll of about 60 it was dead even.

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
yea they have a great interior and motor but the exterior:nonono: disappointing. ive seen a blue one around here, and i didnt know they were out so it was a treat:D
good kill
Jd

2000-S6

Established Member
good kill on a nice ride.
the gto is cool, but, like you mentioned, is penalized by its weight. that sucks that an ls1 equipped car didn't have the ballz to take its loss on the chin, catch back up with you, and give you a thumbs up. bad form.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Those things aren't real GTO's....... I had a 66 tri power and a 68 vert and those were GTO's!!!! This new thing is a pretender.....

Wild Bill

Established Member
Nice kill.You lucky bastard I've been dying to put a hurtin' on one of those,but still havent seen one on the street yet. Why did you go back to stock?

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by Wild Bill
Nice kill.You lucky bastard I've been dying to put a hurtin' on one of those,but still havent seen one on the street yet. Why did you go back to stock?

Spending most of my time road racing this year. The car responds a lot better to the almost stock setup due to heat issues. Actually after the last race I found I can drive it faster with less power.

Mike-SVT

Established Member
saw a GTO on the road the other day- had to look real hard to make sure because it looks too much like a Grand Prix to me.
It was disappointing.

CLUTCH

Established Member
Can't believe he screwed with a 03 cobra so much. It's one thing to pick a run just to see how bad the ownage looks but crap man he wasn't playing classy.

Nice kill.

Users who are viewing this thread