First GM stick shift in the 7's

Buddy17

Avid SVTP(er)
Established Member
There are multiple vids of him driving on the street. I've never understood how taking the body panels off means it's not a corvette anymore. They have more than proved that the car is worse with no body panels.

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
Are body panels required for it to be street legal? I'm sure this varies from state to state like emissions and whatnot. I do know Florida has no emissions requirements so running without cats is legal.
The lack of emissions requirements in no way 'legalizes' running with no cats...
Maybe don't mention it to any cops ;)

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
So all of the cars on this site with catless midpipes means they no longer qualify as a 'street car'?
Did I say that?

I was pointing out that just because you don't have emissions, it doesn't make removing the cats 'legal'....
I was in no way stepping into the never ending debate of what makes a street car.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
There are multiple vids of him driving on the street. I've never understood how taking the body panels off means it's not a corvette anymore. They have more than proved that the car is worse with no body panels.

Worse how? The aero hurts once it's around the 1/8th. The weight reduction helps get it moving. Power to weight. Look at the other stick cars running good numbers and they dont 60 or 1/8th as well as him, but they pick up 40+ on the back half where he only picked up 32ish. There is the aero issue. Aero isnt slowing it down before its moving or slowing it down on the first half.
Is the "proof" in the wind tunnel results?
Hell, put the body panels back on and see if it runs 7s on that power. It would need a bump in power. The 7 second pass with a stick is awesome, but do you really expect people to believe that it would run better with more weight? Come on man.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I was skipping through the video cause it was long. Did I understand correctly the last two runs were with no coolant in the engine because of head gasket issues?

If that's the case that's pretty crazy.
Yeah.

Heads lifted and pushed water under the tires on one pass so they drained it.

Rare40th

Established Member
Been following him before he bought it. Last I checked it still had functioning lights and such. Him and Cooper managed to load up a Christmas tree on it and do grocery/bardle skeet runs that he gave out to random people. The swaps he has done to that car in a year and a half is unbelievable.

They made 5 runs on the car without water in it.... but they did shut it off in between burnouts and then him letting off after the 60 foot when it spun. He also mentioned that on his record run the car fell on it's face on the top end before the stripe. I may not be mechanically inclined but I am pretty sure that motor is toast lol.

He's a cool guy, doing great things and deserves that accomplishment of 7's. I am curious what happens to Neighbor (5.4 Gt500 swapped Crown Vic) and The Dale Nascar truck. He's living 99.9% of the lives us SVTP Members (Except Treynor) dream of.

Buddy17

Avid SVTP(er)
Established Member
Worse how? The aero hurts once it's around the 1/8th. The weight reduction helps get it moving. Power to weight. Look at the other stick cars running good numbers and they dont 60 or 1/8th as well as him, but they pick up 40+ on the back half where he only picked up 32ish. There is the aero issue. Aero isnt slowing it down before its moving or slowing it down on the first half.
Is the "proof" in the wind tunnel results?
Hell, put the body panels back on and see if it runs 7s on that power. It would need a bump in power. The 7 second pass with a stick is awesome, but do you really expect people to believe that it would run better with more weight? Come on man.

Sure. I guess i don't have proof, but how much weight do you really think he lost by removing the panels? The majority of them are plastic anyway. A couple hundred pounds gain?

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Sure. I guess i don't have proof, but how much weight do you really think he lost by removing the panels? The majority of them are plastic anyway. A couple hundred pounds gain?

It is more than people think. Have you ever actually held one of the "plastic" panels? Its lighter than steel for sure, but the SMC that is used to make those parts is loaded with fillers that bring the weight up a little more than they are perceived. It would definitely have lost more if it was a steel paneled car though. For sure.
There are also some things that are below the plastic that were removed that aren't made of plastic. I'm actually curious as to how much lighter it was without the panels.
I thought someone said it was at 2550 before the cage. That's 500lbs or more off of the weight of the car. That includes more than just body panels, but it gives us an idea on it.

1slo5ohh

Established Member
It was 2550 with the lsa and before the cage I believe. So with the cage and all the extra bracing to make it legal, and the turbos I'm sure it's floating around stock weight. They also put it in a wind tunnel back to back with a stock c5 and the difference in drag was ridiculous.

Either way the car is moving the hell out and it's the fastest stick shift GM. He never stated fastest stick shift GM with body panels. People get so caught up in the claim they want to argue every detail. Personally I don't care what he claims, the car is quick and watching it progress over the last year or so has been entertaining.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
It was 2550 with the lsa and before the cage I believe. So with the cage and all the extra bracing to make it legal, and the turbos I'm sure it's floating around stock weight. They also put it in a wind tunnel back to back with a stock c5 and the difference in drag was ridiculous.

Either way the car is moving the hell out and it's the fastest stick shift GM. He never stated fastest stick shift GM with body panels. People get so caught up in the claim they want to argue every detail. Personally I don't care what he claims, the car is quick and watching it progress over the last year or so has been entertaining.

I'm not saying that it isnt an impressive accomplishment. 7 second stick vehicle is moving. I just prefer some the other cars. I'd like to think/hope that his cage is chromoly too.
If he has a 500lb cage and turbos, then damn.
If it weighs what a stock c5 weighs, then something is off. It looks to have the intercooler in the intake and it doesnt have any exhaust either. I'd say someone would have to be hiding in the trunk on the scale to see stock weight, but there isnt one ;)

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
With turbo and cages it weighed 2749, and with Garrett in the car it weighed 2950

That sounds about right. 300-400lbs off of it for those that were curious, myself included.
I'd like to actually meet the guy and see the car run in person. I love stick shift racing. It is gaining ground as far as the number of quick and fast cars. Has been for awhile now.
Some friends of mine will be running at Norwalk NMCA this weekend too. I'm sure there will be some quick stick cars. My one friend has been 9.0s in his fox body. 86 gt that made just over 1000 wheel. Car gets busy and it's still a second off of the pace.

Users who are viewing this thread