EditorTurner

Established Member
www.svtperformance.com/forums/front-page-news-143/904396-Ecoboost-Blast.html

1_EB_Mustang_Ride.jpg

Riding shotgun in a 2015 Ecoboost Mustang

By Steve Turner

Yesterday was big. After being dazzled by enough high-performance exploits to satiate even the most turbocharged gearhead, your editor’s day came to a close with the chance to ride in his first 2015 Mustang. Obviously many have sought the opportunity to experience the forthcoming S550 Mustang in action. While I would certainly be happier driving it, the chance to ride in the highly anticipated turbo variant was enough to rev my engine.

In the brief but spirited exercise, I sat in the passenger seat of an automatic, Ecoboost 2.3 Mustang while a Ford driver ran through the car’s selectable driving modes—Normal, Sport, and Track—on an autocross. With each click of the selector, the car’s performance took a notable move up the performance ladder. Sport mode added a bit more oomph, while using the paddle shifter to really wring out the rpm proved the most satisfying. Coupled with the matched-rev downshifting in this mode, the automatic option looks to offer an even more legitimate performance alternative for driving enthusiasts that don't want a manual.

Regarding the engine performance, power seemed sufficient, but not overwhelming. However, I admit to being jaded by the power available from modified V-8s. For most people, the turbo 2.3 will seem quick. That said, after moving up from Fiesta and Focus STs earlier in the day, the EB 2.3 did seem somewhat burdened by the larger Mustang. We’ll see how it plays out in the final car, as these were clearly pre-production versions.

The IRS-equipped S550 acquitted itself well in and out of the turns. It maintains a relatively flat attitude, with just a touch of body roll. Though constrained on the tight autocross course, it would seem the Ecoboost Mustang might just offer even more fun on a road course where it could carry more speed. It will certainly do just fine on the street.

Other than the car’s performance, it is a quiet, civilized machine. It is, perhaps, too quiet for our growling tastes, but the sound of the exhaust was still under development, so these pre-production cars might not represent the real deal. With any luck, the Ecoboost ’Stang might just have a bit more bark when it finally hits the streets.

There will be plenty to write about the S550 in the coming months, but for now it’s good to know that the mid-level Mustang might just live up its potential. I’ll let you know for sure when they finally throw me the keys.

2_EB_Mustang_Ride.jpg

3_EB_Mustang_Ride.jpg

4_EB_Mustang_Ride.jpg

5_EB_Mustang_Ride5.jpg

04svtsnke

Established Member
Looks like an intake/tune/exhaust will definitely wake this thing up. Anxiously awaiting final numbers and weight from Ford.

Husker

Established Member
Coupled with the matched-rev downshifting in this mode, the automatic option looks to offer an even more legitimate performance alternative for driving enthusiasts that don't want a manual.

I only have a few days left to let my Dealer know which tranny I want on an LE (If I decide I want it).

Not having the luxury of driving one (Rev Matching Auto-GT) Do you feel that the new Auto being offered, would be as much fun as a manual?

Mike_Galimi

Established Member
I can't wait to see someone peg the boost gauge! One has to think that with a tune and exhaust these cars will run deep into the 12s with ease. The more spirited racers will definitely be trolling the streets with eleven second potential. Has Ford announced specifics on the Coyote 5.0L power and details of the upgrades from the previous 5.0C?

Mach828

Established Member
Do want. This will complete my garage as a great daily. Full exhaust, intake, and a tune. Few suspension mods. It will be a fun car.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
So this is going to be a twin of what Travis orders, as I recall him wanting an Ecoboost for the site and his avatar displays his like of the color.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
yep the wife was actually the one that convinced me to roll with the 2015. I was holding out for the right 07-09 GT500, but this car just has so much to offer. We're going with a 5.0 as well, Guard Metallic. Our biggest ordeal is which wheels to get.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
yep the wife was actually the one that convinced me to roll with the 2015. I was holding out for the right 07-09 GT500, but this car just has so much to offer. We're going with a 5.0 as well, Guard Metallic. Our biggest ordeal is which wheels to get.

Wheel selection is limited in my opinion, and don't like that you are stuck with the black mesh wheel if you want the brembo's.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
Wheel selection is limited in my opinion, and don't like that you are stuck with the black mesh wheel if you want the brembo's.

I wish I could get the EcoBoost PP wheels on the GT, those are my favorites. But I'm just gonna let the wife pick, because I'll end up putting SVE Big & Littles on it for my weekend driving anyway lol.

I know there are alot of people complaining about being stuck with black wheels with the Performance Package, but that option is for track use. If you're truly gonna use it on the track, then the black wheels will hide brake dust better.

Users who are viewing this thread