First In-Person Look at a Ranger Raptor | Pre-Production Truck

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
During the recent NMRA event in Norwalk, OH we ran into a new offering for the Ford Performance enthusiast community. A pre-production Ranger Raptor was on premises, having been driven down by a Ford employee. We had the opportunity to give it a fairly close inspection, and I have to say I like what I saw.

Size wise, it is very similar to a PN-96 F-150. The Raptor’ization of the Ranger is much more conservative than what was bestowed on the Bronco Raptor. It is slimmer and wears smaller 33-inch tires. I believe this will ultimately make it more practical as a truck, while still maintaining impressive off-road capabilities. The rear suspension design appears to be a modified version of that found in some foreign market Ford trucks/SUVs, and it looks to be stoutly built.

The 3.0L EcoBoost V6 has been great in our Bronco Raptor, and puts in serious work in the Explorer ST. I suspect it will perform well in the Ranger Raptor. The interior is also greatly improved over that of the current Ranger, though I am still not a huge fan of vertically mounting the center screen. I’m definitely interested in driving one at some point.

NMRA_Norwalk_2023_033.jpg
NMRA_Norwalk_2023_026.jpg
NMRA_Norwalk_2023_027.jpg
NMRA_Norwalk_2023_028.jpg
NMRA_Norwalk_2023_029.jpg
NMRA_Norwalk_2023_030.jpg
NMRA_Norwalk_2023_031.jpg
NMRA_Norwalk_2023_032.jpg
NMRA_Norwalk_2023_035.jpg
NMRA_Norwalk_2023_036.jpg

TORQUERULES

Established Member
With less weight than the Braptor, it should haul ass. The 3.73 gears should be more like 4.30, but should not hurt too much.

I just hate that Ford went so conservative with the styling on the next generation Ranger. The competition is much more aggressive looking. Heck my 2019 is more aggressive IMHO. This is so bland.

Last edited:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Really cool truck. I was really tempted but in the end went with an F150 Tremor for just $8k more than the Ranger Raptor. To each their own of course.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
I like the look.

I wonder how many they will actually build? I would love to test drive one as well when they are more available.

It will be on my radar to check out in person.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I saw it at the event and that’s the size truck I’d prefer in a daily. It was subtle but looked good.
-J

kaz109

Established Member
I have to agree with that... Inflation?
Yea and also everything still getting back to standard since the lockdown of covid. The starting price of a 3rd Gen F-150 Raptor is 78k which is more than a completely fully ( I mean absolutely every option) loaded Gen 2 Raptor. I’m sure it is close to the same when you compare the Gen 1 to the Gen 2

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Surprising how "less serious" it appears vs the BRaptor sitting right next to one.

To be fair, the BRaptor is sort of ridiculously overbuilt. The Ranger Raptor would be perfect for anyone wanting very good (but not over-the-top) performance in a more manageable package than an F-150 Raptor.

I've been driving a Raptor R for the last week, and a truck that big is a little tough to live with on a daily basis. It's like trying to DD a Super Duty.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
To be fair, the BRaptor is sort of ridiculously overbuilt. The Ranger Raptor would be perfect for anyone wanting very good (but not over-the-top) performance in a more manageable package than an F-150 Raptor.

I've been driving a Raptor R for the last week, and a truck that big is a little tough to live with on a daily basis. It's like trying to DD a Super Duty.

100%, couldn't agree more. As much as I love my dually, it is NOT a dd lol. Not a chance.

I'd still take the BRaptor.

craigD

Yea and also everything still getting back to standard since the lockdown of covid. The starting price of a 3rd Gen F-150 Raptor is 78k which is more than a completely fully ( I mean absolutely every option) loaded Gen 2 Raptor. I’m sure it is close to the same when you compare the Gen 1 to the Gen 2
Sad... But that's the reality!

Trix

Established Member

I’ve DD’s a 2020 Super Duty Tremor on 37’s for the last 3 years. Love it. My wife actually DD’d it with our 1 year old daughter for about a year of that and loved it. Then I wanted it back so I bought her a crosstrek lol.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I’ve DD’s a 2020 Super Duty Tremor on 37’s for the last 3 years. Love it. My wife actually DD’d it with our 1 year old daughter for about a year of that and loved it. Then I wanted it back so I bought her a crosstrek lol.

Depends on the commute I suppose. The parking lot over been dealing with recently is a major pain just trying to get a regular F-150 in.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

did a double take the other day as a saw a Raptor R in a parking lot. the Red R in the grill gave it away. didnt even know they were out yet. cant imagine what the guy paid for one in so cal lol. $200k?

Users who are viewing this thread