First Major Mod

dantheman91

Established Member
I have an 03 mustang gt with a manual. I am trying to decide what is going to be the best initial investment. My current options are 3.73 gears and a tune or H&R race springs with Eibach pro damper shocks and struts. please keep in mind that this car will be my daily driver for several more years.

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
Not a bad start. The Race springs might cause more scraping than some would prefer on a daily driver car. There are other slightly higher springs but maybe you've already considered that.
If you lower the front to 2" or more I would also suggest using foxbody struts because they will be better matched to the springs. Install caster camber plates, they will help you do the alignment, since everything's apart anyways.
I've ran a set of Motive 3.73's on my car for many years. I didn't note a significant loss in MPG. When you get a tune don't waste your time on a chip. Get a handheld tuning device like an SCT Xcal 2 for example. This will allow you to calibrate the computer to make correction for your different rear gear ratio so that your speedo isnt displaying the wrong MPH in addition to getting the most out of your future mods. IMO the best quality rear gear would be an OEM ford set like a set of 3.73s from an explorer or ford truck for example, followed by Ford Racing/Motive-same thing.
If it was my daily driver I would do the 3.73's and tuning device because with your first bolt ons you won't need aggressive handling for Race springs to keep the car on the road and the car will just scrape all over while on daily driver duty. Also by getting a hand tuning device with your gears, that is a purchase that will grow with your car no matter what mods you do in the future. You will always need it to tune the car as you do more mods.

boduke0220

Established Member
4.10 gears and a tune.i commute to my community college with is 20 miles each was every day and it is fine. but if ya plan on over 400rwhp go ahead and get the 3.73's

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
Anyone wanna explain what the big difference between 4.10 and 3.73 gear on a daily driver is? Besides size.

dantheman91

Established Member
Boduke0220 mentioned 4.10 gears. are the performance gains that much greater than the 3.73 gears.

01strokersnake

Part Time Race Car Driver
Established Member
The acceleration gains from 4.10s are much more distinguishable than 3.73s obviously. The MPG loss IMO is not enough to rule them out. I'd put a vote in for FRPP Gears if you are going to get them, I've read some people complain about cabin noise from installing the Motives, but it's more based on the quality of install job of the gears. Short Throw Shifter is also another ~$150 well worth it that you will directly appreciate every time you drive your car.

dantheman91

Established Member
since this car is going to be a daily driver it will be on the highways a good bit. how is the gas milage going to be affected by 4.10 gears

02SSilverGT

Established Member
Gears and a tune with a hand held tuner (SCT/Predator). You will feel a difference with both. The tuner will also allow you to correct your speedo for the gear change and make updates to the car's computer as you add more things in the future. Like others have said, if you plan to stay N/A get 4.10's. There's not that much difference in mpg between them and 3.73's. My personal preference are those from Ford Racing. Most cases they install without much, if any adjustment. That's one thing you need to consider because if the mechanic installing them needs more time to make adjustments with the shims, it'll cost you more in labor. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you choose.

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
What tuner would be best.. I know sct and predator are really close. But is one actually better than the other?

4valvemach

Established Member
If it was my car I would do

3:55 gears or 3:73
cut the stock springs one full coil its free if you can do it(did it on my car)
money saved on the springs spend on a Xpipe
get a catback exhaust
cold air intake
PRO 5.0 shifter

spike_africa

Established Member
A o/r H-pipe was my first mod and well worth it. Made the car sound better and a good bit quicker. That or a shifter is a great first mod. Both can be had used for cheap.

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
What tuner would be best.. I know sct and predator are really close. But is one actually better than the other?

Yeah, they are close. It depends what brand of software your local preferred tuner uses. Some places I've lived, the dyno tuning shops use Diable and other places it's SCT. Sometimes they use both.

Users who are viewing this thread