First Mods....Need Your Help...

mustangmuscle

Established Member
I have an 04 Cobra, and have decided on my first couple of mods-a cat-back system and air intake. Would really appreciate your thoughts and opinions, as well as any and all info you could give to help me choose what to go with. For the cat-back, i have narrowed it to either the Borla Stinger or the Magnaflow, but cant quite make up my mind. And as far as the air intake, i dont think i want to go with any that put the filter inside the fender, but other than that, i have no idea.

So.........anything you guys could pass along would be so very helpful and greatly appreciated
Thanks

03DOHC

Established Member
Either of those cat-backs are a good choice and will net you a good power increase. That and a K&N style open element filter will net you about 400rwhp.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
I've seen a lot of positive posts for the K&N FIPK so that is what I ordered, haven't installed it yet.

Wit hexhaust it depends on what you like soundwise. Try to check out different exhaust setups in person if possible. I will be using the Ford Racing FR500 catback. I had it on my '01 & kept it.

Congrats & post pics.

Justicem

06/26/02 #1018
Established Member
I've been going through the same thing. I started researching stuff about a month ago and read many many many peoples thoughts and suggestions and here is what i've done. I went with the magnaflow cat-back, i think its great! I've just ordered the 2.93 pulley, mac 95mm mass air kit and the diablosport predator last night. it will be here friday and i will let you know how it is. The predator was just upgraded last friday and they insured me that it has all the lastest and greatest stuff and will fit with my mods perfectly and i will be more than pleased with the outcome. Go to www.rpmoutlet.com. you can buy stuff in packages there and get things cheaper. good tech support.

Last edited:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Sig numbers are stock with $438 in home garage installed modifications:

-$309 Flowmaster catback #17248 (Brother's Performance)
-$129 Powerstack 9" open cone filter (SFPHQ)

jimh

Established Member
I've got the Amazon Racing CAI and like it. I'm going with a 2.84 pulley next. Most fo the open element CAIs are good. The JLT Ram Air is nice. Color matched to your car. He sells both, in fender and under hood versions. I may switch over to that one later. I like the solid pipe instead of the factory accordion rubber tube.

If I do anything with the exhaust it'll be just a set of weld in mufflers, that's where the cork is. I believe our exhaust is 2.5" already. I posted a question about the difference between a catback or just a muffler swap a while abck and was very suprised at the number of people who said if they were to do it again they would go just muffler, or that a friend of theirs had just mufflers and got the same gains they did. I'll spend the extra money else where.

jim

mustangmuscle

Established Member
Thanks everyone for all your input and info......please keep me posted on what mods you get and how your cars respond

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by Emil
Blue03Cobra,
How loud is that Flowmaster?
Thanks
Louder than stock (thank god) but not obnoxious. If I back up to a car that has a sensitive alarm, and pull away with some pedal, I can make the warning beeps go off, but I haven't yet set off an alarm.

If you've heard any of the modular 4.6 motors with a catted H-pipe (NOT offroad) and flowmaster two chambered mufflers, you've heard what my car sounds like. It has the deep, throaty musclecar rumble, not high pitched like an X with straight through mufflers. Some slight drone cruising at 2,000 RPM, but not bad at all.

:beer:

500hp03Cobra

Established Member
With regards to the statement about our exhaust being 2.5'', it isn't. It's 2.25" and in some places, it's pinched to about 1 7/8''. The stock piping really sucks. If i were you, I would weld some mufflers into some 2.5'' mandrel bent piping to ensure that its 2.5'' all the way through...

ModsAway

Established Member
Im happy with my CAI and catback choices if that helps you at all, no regrets whatsoever.

Kobraah

Established Member
I went with the Steeda CAI and the Bassani Catback, and while it wasn't cheap, I'm happy with the sound, no droning at all. I kind of hoped to get more than 386rhp after the dyno, but that's where I'm at for now. Next up is a throttle body & elbow, 2.93 or 2.80 pulley, and a chip/tune.

Cantoodler

Your Face
Established Member
if you like quiet i suggest you dont go with the magnaflow exhaust it is loud. my friend has a flowmaster ehaust on his 95 and its nowhere near as loud as my magnaflow exhaust. now if you like a beautiful deep sound that burbles and backfires the magnaflow gives you that and really makes you want to give it some more gas so you can keep hearing it. its one of those cars you can hear before you see

Users who are viewing this thread