First start after winter tips

dom418

Established Member
OP you spoke too soon. More snow headed to IL today. Up to 7 inches fml. Supposed to be less the further north you are from Chicago

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
I fired up mine last night with the new Posi port. Held the gas pedal to the floor for 6-9 seconds to circulate some oil ... Then released pedal and fired right up.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
A little optimistic? I do hope that to be true.

Me too. I don't think we're done quite yet down here in Ohio, lol. Not to mention this winter played hell on the roads. I'm not bringing mine out for quite some time yet. Let them fill the potholes and the rain wash all the debris off the road.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
I've used the hold throttle a few times.....once it started & right to revlimit,now I use a non chiped key & crank away to prime everything.

weaselp1

Established Member
OP you spoke too soon. More snow headed to IL today. Up to 7 inches fml. Supposed to be less the further north you are from Chicago

FML is right ....my friend in chicago said 7in also...up in milwaukee we are going to get 1-3 but it should melt quickly...40s after that temp wise

Me too. I don't think we're done quite yet down here in Ohio, lol. Not to mention this winter played hell on the roads. I'm not bringing mine out for quite some time yet. Let them fill the potholes and the rain wash all the debris off the road.

the winter played hell on wisconsin roads also...i will wait for the rain also to clear the roads, but in wisconsin potholes are just something you have to deal with as they dont fill them all anyway...i know where to drive and where not to drive....i just wait for that first hard rain and then im on the road :)

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
That's a good point about the gas....forgot to mention that. I use Stabil too, that plus the lower octane winter blend means you need to stay out of boost until you get fresh gas in the car.

This is always the hardest part for me, becuase I just wanna get the car and drive like hell when it first comes out

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I've used the hold throttle a few times.....once it started & right to revlimit,now I use a non chiped key & crank away to prime everything.

This is a great idea. I've worried about this happening and basically you get the exact opposite effect you are trying for. I'm going to go get a generic key cut.

MysticRob

Established Member

Excellent idea for those of you forced to put them in storage! :beer:

Last edited:

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member

Yeah Cleveland is full of potholes. I'm with you -- wait for them to patch it up first.

I'm so tempted to get out and start mine for the first time this year, and change the oil, but the 6 inches of snow coming tomorrow is depressing.

When I get a nice weekend, I'll get it started and change the oil, supercharger oil, and transmission fluid.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I should probably wait to schedule an appt for a tune till after I get fresh gas then. I just want a retune and check due to the elevation got the car from Virginia last Sept. I was thinking of starting mine this weekend but as well with snow coming to Ohio tmrw after it being in the mid 60's today forget it Ill just wait hopefully by the end of the month or begining of April. This winter has been to long. :cuss:

03snkvert

Established Member
I find conflicting info about loss of Octane online. From what I read some of the Better Grade fuels can actually gain some Octane Rating.

I put 91 in my car With a bottle of StarTron fuel stabilizer the first of November, and had my car on the Dyno last weekend, and haven't noticed any problems.

I would like to see if someone could actually come up with CONCRETE evidence of octane loss in fuel that is stored. After reading, they say storage is a big factor. With fuel being stored in sealed container (gas tanks) and cool weather I read that there should be little to no octane drop.

Again, I am no Scientist, and would just like to find some good info on this!

Last edited:

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Pedal to the floor BEFORE you hit the key, it will NOT start. DO NOT hit the key and then put the pedal to the metal. Come on guys you should know this.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I find conflicting info about loss of Octane online. From what I read some of the Better Grade fuels can actually gain some Octane Rating.

I put 91 in my car With a bottle of StarTron fuel stabilizer the first of November, and had my car on the Dyno last weekend, and haven't noticed any problems.

I would like to see if someone could actually come up with CONCRETE evidence of octane loss in fuel that is stored. After reading, they say storage is a big factor. With fuel being stored in sealed container (gas tanks) and cool weather I read that there should be little to no octane drop.

Again, I am no Scientist, and would just like to find some good info on this!

My engine builder always told me to not get into boost on the first tank after storing the car.

He had a cobra in his shop with 1200 original miles on it because someone took the car out for a beat run after letting it sit all winter and burned up a couple pistons. Who knows how old the gas was from before winter but it is still the point.

Don't chance it. Or go ahead, it's not my car. You could be the one forking over the $6500 for an engine rebuild. :bash:

mr-proper

Established Member
I've never heard of this on a fuel injected vehicle before. If everything is working correctly wouldn't this still cause the vehicle to start immediately? :shrug:

no. i do it to prime my oil filter after a oil change before i start the mach 1! it cuts fuel injectors out and it will just crank and gets the oil flowing :beer:;-)

Users who are viewing this thread