First Suspension Mods

maxinator

Established Member
I just got a 2003 Cobra it had mods done for power such as pulley cat back and CAI but nothing for the suspension. I figure beefing up the suspension and the IRS would be a good place to start. Was looking at getting MM subs installed and BilletFlow 99-04 Cobra IRS Brace

Also Complete IRS Bushing Kit Including: Aluminum Front diff supports with Aluminum shimming washers to set pinion angle, Delrin Rear Diff support, UHMW IRS Subframe support set including thick and thin shimming washers, Delrin Upper control arm bushings and Hardcoated inner sleeves, Delrin Lower control arm bushings and Hardcoated inner sleeves with shimming washers, Combination UCA and LCA bushing grease fitting kit.

Is this going to be the best bang for my buck with this platform? Would I likely c less wheel hop and better handling. I'm on a budget so I was thinking these are the best mods to start with? Thanks

SpectorV

Established Member
IRS Brace, Full length welded in subframes (mm, steeda, etc etc just get a good brand), stiffer springs/lowering, MM CC plates thats a good starting point.

Then full tilt boogie bushings

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
what do you plan to do with the car?

I just got a 2003 Cobra it had mods done for power such as pulley cat back and CAI but nothing for the suspension. I figure beefing up the suspension and the IRS would be a good place to start. Was looking at getting MM subs installed and BilletFlow 99-04 Cobra IRS Brace

Also Complete IRS Bushing Kit Including: Aluminum Front diff supports with Aluminum shimming washers to set pinion angle, Delrin Rear Diff support, UHMW IRS Subframe support set including thick and thin shimming washers, Delrin Upper control arm bushings and Hardcoated inner sleeves, Delrin Lower control arm bushings and Hardcoated inner sleeves with shimming washers, Combination UCA and LCA bushing grease fitting kit.

Is this going to be the best bang for my buck with this platform? Would I likely c less wheel hop and better handling. I'm on a budget so I was thinking these are the best mods to start with? Thanks

maxinator

Established Member
I want it to keep daily driver ability even though it isn't, and I will occasionally be doing some drag racing nothing to serious If I could have a 11 second daily driver I would be more then happy. Is this doable with these cars sounds like it is. Thanks

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
IRS Brace, Full length welded in subframes (mm, steeda, etc etc just get a good brand), stiffer springs/lowering, MM CC plates thats a good starting point.

Then full tilt boogie bushings

Agreed, after installing my flsfc I wished I had done it years ago.

maxinator

Established Member
Ok so I went to Brad's custom they recommended the Kenny Brown Sport springs or HR race MM Caster Camber and MM full length subs. Anyone run the KB springs?

Tractionless1

Established Member
Stock Cut springs will serve you well and won't be as harsh as an aftermarket. Not to metion transfer weight better upon launch. +1 on the LPW IRS cover and end ear support plates. Also replace the IRS mounting bolts with the correct size if you haven't already.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
cutting the stock springs is the cheap way out that doesn't always work out and you run the risk of creating more problems that not. IMHO.

whether to cut your springs or not is a matter of personal choice and opinion and I personally would never run cut stockers. Cheaper is not always better. I would rather ride at stock height and save up for a good set of lowering springs or coilovers.

MrSwa

Established Member
Stock Cut springs will serve you well and won't be as harsh as an aftermarket. Not to metion transfer weight better upon launch. +1 on the LPW IRS cover and end ear support plates. Also replace the IRS mounting bolts with the correct size if you haven't already.

I would be careful with the statement regarding the transfer of weight. Do not be fooled into thinking you can see weight transfer. I'm not saying that you're wrong because frankly I've haven't looked into deeply enough to say if the stock springs are better for drag racing or not (I make an assumption here that that's what you're referring to about the weight transfer). Watch some videos of well set up cars and see how much squat (generally thought to be weight transfer) they show.

Edit:
To the OP, my car has the MM bushing kit (came on the car when I bought it) and I have the control arm slop demonstrated in the videos on full tilt boogie's site. My car still experiences wheel hop. I'm can't say it's due to the bushings 100%, but I would say that's def not helping the situation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread