First time at track with RPM Trans and Spec 2 clutch

silvercoffin

Established Member
The spec 2 is plenty of clutch for my 470hp 460tq at the wheels. I wouldnt recommend any more. It held up great no different every run.

The new trans fixed my 3rd to 4th problem I used to have, but I couldnt get the car into 3rd gear all four runs. I got it in each time on the second try. I guess its me because on the street on the way home I got it up to 6000 rpms and got it into 3rd fast...it feels hard but went in.

I was really unhappy and have no idea what to do except keep trying. I tried adjusting my clutch different ways. I started with a little less than 1/4 inch play at firewall and then tightened it a little each run, but it seemed to get harder to get into gear. The fourth run I loosened it up to a little more than 1/4 inch free play at the firewall and still missed 3rd.

I did notice that my cable somehow loosened up after each run. But not enough to make a difference i think. And on the way Home I tested it with more than an inch free play in the pedal...about 1/2 inch free play at firewall and i got it into gear each time so i dont know..

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
What kind of shifter do you have? Just take an extra second to get it in 3rd that way you'll at least make some complete runs. Then just get faster and faster at shifting.

silvercoffin

Established Member

Yeah good advice.... someone told me the same last night but I was stubborn and sure that it was the adjustment because before this new trans and clutch I could slam it into 3rd every time....3rd to 4th was the problem before.

I have a pro 5.0 shifter, steeda clutch adjuster, steeda quadrant and LDC freeplay kit. spec 2 and spec aluminum flywheel.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Just take a little extra time and then get faster again. I hope you're not grinding when you're missing 3rd though. I've seen some slow granny shifters out there so it'll be alright to do it in one gear. Let us know what you run.

silvercoffin

Established Member

No grind...just no 3rd and then I clutch it again and get it in.

I wont run 11.40 granny shifting thats for sure.. I wanted to run in the Fords Mustang vs the World brackets this coming weekend for Fords at Etown but I guess Ill just go run time trials again so I can get some runs in and practice.

My 60fts still sucked too. I still have a little hop with the spec 2... I am using BFG Drs.. Next season Ill go back to MT DRs and hoping be able to launch again...

Its just crazy how I went from 11.4- 11.9 consistent a year ago, to one 11 second run all season between shift problems and hop after changing to the 3+ clutch and now even with the 2.. REALLY FRUSTRATING and embarassing.

If we werent in the market for a house now I would sell the car and buy a new one with an automatic in it, but i know it will be years before I can buy a toy again.

Fuerza

Established Member
Sorry about your runs. I've been following most of your threads all summer. Hopefully your tranny will loosen up and allow you to shift the way you want too. What kind of 60 foot times were you getting with the BFG v. MT's?

silvercoffin

Established Member

My launches are still lousy but i need to get used to it again.

I ran 1.63-1.70 60fts with my FMS clutch and MT DRs

Then I got that 3+ spec and BFG DRs and only did 1.95 with tons of hop

Then 3+ with MT ET STreets down to a 1.81 breakign them loose every run btu no hop.

Then Stage 2 Spec last night with BFG DRs a little hop still and a best of 1.81
I can slip the stage 2 though so I am pretty confident that Ill be able to relearn how to launch with it without hopping like crazy.

I was surprised with how hard the spec stage 2 grabs. One the street it feels like a stock clutch but at the track it grabbed hard.

I need to learn how to launch again after a lousy season. I probably did about 20 or so runs all season. Last night I could have run anotehr pass but i left because I was pissed off and embarassed. Still won every run with my 12 sec runs! LOL even against a turbo charged transam and two new vettes...

silvercoffin

Established Member

I am using up the Bfgs and if I have to the ET STREETS this season and wiating until next season to buy a new set of MT Drag Radials. They are by far the best and softer than the BFGs...not mention last longer

Users who are viewing this thread