First time drag racing and a problem

jaywoo

Soooo Boss
Established Member
I put this in the boss forum, but there is too much concealed carry discussions going on and not enough car discussions.

SO myself and a few friends went to out local dragstrip today. Nice day, about 45 degrees. Traction wasn't great but the engines liked the cool air! The track we went to is 1000' long. Yeah, 1000'. Here's my best run of the afternoon (I made five passes):

standard.jpg

I launched that run around 2000 rpms and rolled into it pretty quickly. Not much spin. Considering the temp, 2.0 60' on stock tires wasn't bad.

So, while making those passes, and then on the way home, I noticed on a quick shift into 4th gear I get a grinding. Slow shift, nothing. Feels OK. I can be just coasting with the clutch in and a quick shift from 3rd to 4th gets the grinding. I did a search on here and two other forums, and the answer I get most often is the synchros. I installed a MGW shifter a week ago, and I am hoping this didn't have anything to do with the grind. I didn't notice the grind before racing today either.

Any other possibilities? I'll take it in to the dealer next week. Crap!

Here are a few more pics and a video though!

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

Centerville Burnout - YouTube

RFM50

Established Member
So have you tried to drive it hard with the MGW shifter? The MGW should fix your problem and if not swap trans fluid to a nice synthetic like Amsoil, redline or royal purple and swap your brake/hydraulic fluid to a dot 4. I have all that done along with a JHR clutch line and the helper spring removed from the clutch pedal and I love my trans now.

jaywoo

Soooo Boss
Established Member
I did the MGW last weekend and did the drag racing yesterday. It didn't grind at all this past week just driving around with the MGW. Started doing it at the track then on the way home. I guess I should do the tranny fluid, but I would hate to do that then it have to go to the dealer anyway for synchros.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Take it in the dealer just to check it I would even put the stock shifter back in just to make sure the mgw has nothing to todo with the issue.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
if you swap fluid, save your stock fluid for future trips to the dealer.

Deranged2013

Established Member
So have you tried to drive it hard with the MGW shifter? The MGW should fix your problem and if not swap trans fluid to a nice synthetic like Amsoil, redline or royal purple and swap your brake/hydraulic fluid to a dot 4. I have all that done along with a JHR clutch line and the helper spring removed from the clutch pedal and I love my trans now.

I've had issues with the clutch pedal sticking after passing 7k rpms. I've read that removing the helper spring helps this issue. Where is the spring located and is it easy to remove?

Users who are viewing this thread