first time to track with et streets, need some advice..

svtguy22

Established Member
Basically, I dont want to break anything.

I am running 26" ET streets

462hp/452tq
irs brace
H&R race springs
stock clutch with 53k miles :dw:

But anyway, I have already gotten some good tips on the burnout part.. 2nd gear etc etc.

But does anyone have any more good advice on doing the burnout and launching keeping in mind i dont wanna blow up my drivetrain? launch rpm, feathering the stock clutch etc.

the IRS scares me, i miss my solid in my 96 :(

thanks in advance

edit: the clutch still holds strong and has no indication of going out. and what times should i be running in the 1/8th with this setup

Last edited:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I've been running ET Streets for the past 4 years on the stock IRS except for bushings and IRS brace.
With my current mods I'm at 616/676 at the wheels. I launch on spray and am still on the stock half shafts.
I launch between 3500-5000 depending on track conditions.
Wheel hop is normally what breaks half shafts.
If you are running the stock tires up front expect a bit of sway on the big end. Don't worry about it. Drive straight through and you'll be fine. It can be a bit unnerving at times.
If you put bias ply tires up from the sway goes away.
Tire pressures range from 12-16.
My 60' times are in the low 1.6s.
Best of luck and have fun!
If you break a half shaft you can buy used one for about $100.

-

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
What Senkak said. Try and start out with 12lbs being as it looks like you're only going to run 1/8th mile. I went all the way down under 10lbs once and it was still fine. Time wise I'd say you're in Cali and you're on your own there lol. I know it's hotter than hell so I have no idea.

lukabrozi

SVT *****
Established Member
I run stock Toyo RA1's and have found that lowering the tire pressure at the track doesn't do anything but make my car swerve a lot.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I run stock Toyo RA1's and have found that lowering the tire pressure at the track doesn't do anything but make my car swerve a lot.

Keep in mind SVTguy22 is running bias ply drag tires.
They are designed to be run at lower tire pressures for maximum traction.
If you run bias ply in the back and radials up front, sway is usually the result.

Your Toyo RA1 radials have a stiff side wall and are designed to run auto cross and road coarse not drag race.

Last edited:

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
I hate when my car gets squirrelly at the end of the track.. Makes me want to let out at the top of 3rd.. are skinnies the only way to get rid of the sway?

Last edited:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Unfortunately when you mix radials and bias ply sway is what you get.
It is spooky, isn't it!!
When I added my skinnies the sway went away. It also removed a bunch of weight from the front.

svtguy22

Established Member
thanks for the tips guys, i will watch out for the sway.... i just need to keep the wheel pointed straight right?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
rev it up to 3500, when the third amber comes on let the clutch out slightly until you fell it start to move, then come off really fast and matt the throttle.

03yellow

Established Member
Try going around the water one time, before your burn out, Some tracks I've had much better 60' going around the water than thru it.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Do a BIG 2nd gear burnout pull out under power, Shollow stage(if your wanting max ET and dont care about reaction time.) rev it to 5000 to 5300 rpm and release the clutch VERY fast(dont side step) then when you get back to the pits call and order a new clutch. You are going to need one. My cobra is full weight and cuts 1.60 sixty foots with 100% stock suspension and IRS.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I've been running ET Streets for the past 4 years on the stock IRS except for bushings and IRS brace.
With my current mods I'm at 616/676 at the wheels. I launch on spray and am still on the stock half shafts.
I launch between 3500-5000 depending on track conditions.
Wheel hop is normally what breaks half shafts.
If you are running the stock tires up front expect a bit of sway on the big end. Don't worry about it. Drive straight through and you'll be fine. It can be a bit unnerving at times.
If you put bias ply tires up from the sway goes away.
Tire pressures range from 12-16.
My 60' times are in the low 1.6s.
Best of luck and have fun!
If you break a half shaft you can buy used one for about $100.
-

There you go man, that's it in a nutshell!! Your burnout should take no more than 5 seconds to get the tires heated enough. Like Senkak said, start at 3500 and workout your way up or down depending on the track prep. It will be a little trial and error until you get the hang of what tire pressure and launch rpm your car works best with. Good luck and have fun!!!!

racebronco2

Established Member
Build up speed/power so that you get used to the sway. I thought it would be no big deal but the sway is is big from one side to another. Scared me at first even though i was warned but stayed in it anyways. First runs were in the mid 12's at 2600ft and got down to 12.01 with a 1.76 60ft.

Users who are viewing this thread