First Track Event Questions

blair223

Established Member
Headed to Watkins Glen on July 9 & 10th for my first track session. Need to get a helmet and was wondering what recommendations folks have and features I should look for.

Also, should I be thinking about different brake pads for the first time out or any other mods I should consider? Will be running my 2013 GT500.

Will probably do this 3 or 4 times a year.

Thanks

Sirl

Established Member
Hello Blair,
First off... Gorgeous car!!! You lucky dog!
And, lucky you, Watkins Glen is a fantastic track.

I drove it many years ago, before I moved to Florida. It is one of the more fun tracks to drive.

Here is a thread I started recently about helmets. Good reading here.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/open-track-racing-203/808563-helmets.html

Let me be the first to say... For your first time out, I wouldnt change a thing.

I had a student with a 2012 a few months ago, 2,000 miles on the clock. We drove the hell out of it, and the car ran like a champ. Stock brakes, and they worked perfect.

I drove the car for about 6 laps, late in the day, and the brakes help up very well.

After a couple events, the perhaps you might want to start looking at pads, brake cooling, tires, etc.

Good luck, listen to your instructor and have a blast!!!

MFE

Established Member
read that sticky. And if it's your first on-track venture I wouldn't worry about pads just yet. Next outing? Sure.

Sirl

Established Member
First purchase should be a good video camera :)

I really like my new Replay HD. Great video, and better sound quality that the GoPro, imo.

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
First be prepared for you new addiction. :beer:

For Helmets, go with a closed face with the appropriate SA rating for safety. Also remember to keep your visor down when on track as well!!

The stock pads should do fine for your first track weekend and then progress to more aggressive ones as you get more experience.

Finally most of all have be safe, learn, and have fun!!!!

David Hester

Established Member
I took my 2008 Roush out to a MCA track day at Nashville Speedway with 800 miles on it. Did manage to cook the stock pads in 2 days. I might have been a tad more aggressive than someone just starting out. Have fun and welcome to our addiction!
Everyone has a favorite helmet, but I've been using the G-Force helmets for years. Had Simpson's before that, and Bell's before that (we're going back 35 yesrs there). I like the G-Force helmets just fine, and good prices. Just be sure and get the SA2010. There may be some SA2005 on sale, but you lose 5 years of use with them.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I went for a few laps Memorial Weekend at VIR in the new GT500. Ford had their drivers there and was driving the crap out of the car all weekend. I asked the driver what they changed for the track and I was told the car was being run just like it comes off the showroom floor. I would say you have to do nothing, especially since this is your first time and I doubt you'll be driving the car as hard as Fords test engineers were driving.

blair223

Established Member
Thanks for all the responses. Ordered the "Going Faster!..." book and G-Force helmet will be here next week. Already have a GoPro and picked up a separate digital recorder for audio. Just have to figure out a good place to mount that to eliminate wind noise since windows have to be down.

Last edited:

sonic cobra

Established Member
As mentioned, you will be fine with the car as is. Stock brake pads will work fine, but I would be sure and bring an extra set of front pads and the necessary tools to change them.
I remember my first time at the Glen. I used up the stock pads in the first session.
Later that day, approaching the bus stop at about 120 the instructor tells me to lift at 300 ft and brake at 200. well the mind was willing but the right foot kept lifting at 600 ft.

You will have the time of your life, Just don't expect or even try to be the fastest guy on the track.
Its kinda like when you first start drinking alcohol. You can have as much fun as anyone else on just a couple drinks. Too much and you either make a fool of yourself or start throwing up on yourself and anyone around you. Can't have that on track.
Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread