First Track Event w/ the Cobra!!!!

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
03'Darin said:
When I read the storys about someone's excitement from their first track experience it always reminds me of mine. 15 years and LARGE PILES of money ago I still remember that day like yesterday.

venomous01 be prepared..... it's an addiction that you'll never break. lol One great thing about it is you won't have money for bad habbits. lol As stanger58 said.... the driver mod is the biggest mod. As I'm sure you realize it's not that your instructors "more stock" Cobra was faster, it's just what a more experienced driver can do.

Somebody may have already mentioned it but you should consider getting rid of those cross drilled rotors and going to a solid rotor. Slotted rotors are good but the cross drilled rotors are prone to premature cracking and failures. As your driving ability improves your parts wear will increase dramatically. You'll also want to go with a track specific pad that will handle more street than the HPS. Ideally you should use the cross drilled rotors and HPS pads for street use and keep the solid or slotted rotors and track pads for open tracking. You don't want to switch back and forth from track pads to street pads on the same rotors. Most pad material is not compatible and will cause your car to feel like the rotors are warped.

Darin
I agree with you completely.

The car as it sits right now is only driven on the weekends and I plan to do more open track events, but it won't be a track car solely. I actually plan on looking into another nice N/A cobra to specifically use for this purpose.

I just want to get more seat time and gradually get better at driving the car. I will definitely take everyones rotor suggestions into consideration.

Also I went with the HPS pads (front and rear) when I changed out the front and back rotors. I didn't want the next step up pad due to noise levels, b/c the car sees the street more then it does the track and I want to car to be civil.... to an extent.:burnout:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
racebronco2 said:
My dif temps were running at 250*. Remember this is a slower then most open track event where most of the course is ran in second gear. There is one section where i was close to the top of 3rd ( 82mph). I will be attending bw on saturday.
I'm pretty sure I missed the timeframe to sign up for this one as it looks to have filled up quickly. I will check into it though.

That track looks like a lot of fun. One thing is I am weighing heavily now is safety and I want to get a 6pt cage in the car ASAP just to be safe.

03'Darin

Established Member
Venomous01 said:
I agree with you completely.

The car as it sits right now is only driven on the weekends and I plan to do more open track events, but it won't be a track car solely. I actually plan on looking into another nice N/A cobra to specifically use for this purpose.

I just want to get more seat time and gradually get better at driving the car. I will definitely take everyones rotor suggestions into consideration.

Also I went with the HPS pads (front and rear) when I changed out the front and back rotors. I didn't want the next step up pad due to noise levels, b/c the car sees the street more then it does the track and I want to car to be civil.... to an extent.:burnout:

Being on this board I figured you may have already gotten some sound advice about car set up for open tracking. I just wanted to make sure.

The reason brakes are so important is because you normally don't have an escape route if you have a failure. I totalled a race car at WGI from a brake failure. It's disshartening, frustrating, time consuming to repair, expensive, did I mention EXPENSIVE and EXPENSIVE.

Each driver progresses differently learing road course driving. Depending on how quickly you pick things up and the outside temperatures you could have brake issues rather even at the next event. You mentioned you were at a realtively slow track. Those tracks are much easier on brakes than big tracks. You car is HEAVY and has big horse power. Those are two main ingredients to a brake pad and rotor eating machine. HPS pads won't stand up to much heat at the track and thsoe slotted rotors will be close behind. There is no good compromise pad combination for both ot and street driving. The problem is if you don't have a competent track pad at the track..... you could have some catastrophic results and won't have to worry about street brakes. Just think about going in to one of those turns braking at what feels like the absolute last second to be able to make the turn......... and the brake pedal goes to the floor. Not fun!! Been there and done that.

Be safe, be smart and have fun!!

Darin

mrose75

Established Member
I've always wanted to do this. Everytime the SVTOA comes through TX I'm out of state/country.

Users who are viewing this thread