First trip to Silver Lake Sand Dunes!

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
I mentioned in the First Arrival thread that the new owner and I would take his Raptor out to Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan this past weekend. Unfortunately, my little P&S camera doesn't take action shots too well, and I was a passenger for most of the day. But, I can say that this truck is incredible in the sand. We were able to climb everything we came across, and haulin a$$ around the place was a piece of cake. We were passing quads, dirt bikes, and other dune buggies all day long and they had incredible looks on their faces (those that we could see :D... I will say that navigating the whole Off Road Mode, ATC Modes, 4L + ELD, etc. did become a pain...maybe Ford can streamline that whole process...but they did work well once we got them figured out.

Nearly everyone knew what this was, and most of them came up to us to ask all about it. The phrase of the day was "Is that a Raptor?" I think we heard it about 100 times. One guy even argued with us that it wasn't actually out yet...:bash:

I've included a couple pics. Nothing too extreme, but we can all see those on YouTube anyway. All I can say is that what they show on YouTube and the Raptor website is what we were doing all day and it is fun as hell. If I didn't already have my GT500...I'd be getting me one of these! :beer:

Enjoy...

If you haven't been to Silver Lake Sand Dunes, the first thing you come to is "Test Hill" which you have to climb right out of the gate. The Raptor made it up with no problem of course. :lol:
DSCN0350b.jpg

After a while, everyone in our group had to go for a ride through a course of sorts. Included some high speed runs across some washed out sand, climbing a hill, flying down the other side (sometimes with a few wheels off the ground)...I couldn't get to the other side for those pics...maybe next time.
DSCN0355b.jpg

At rest...as you can see, it got a little sandy throughout the day.
DSCN0362b.jpg

No trip to Silver Lake is complete without some sand in the cab...
DSCN0369b.jpg

Jroc

Established Member
Ford Raptor FTMFW!!! :rockon:

Very Cool! :beer:

Glad to see you putting it in its intended element instead of just in the garage to show off or collect.

Last edited:

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
In case anyone is wondering, the 5.4 in this Raptor worked great out there. Never was there a time where we needed to have more power (more would have been nice, but not needed). Although I seem to remember someone offering to swap motors with my GT500...but I don't think that's gonna happen :coolman:

Jroc

Established Member
In case anyone is wondering, the 5.4 in this Raptor worked great out there. Never was there a time where we needed to have more power (more would have been nice, but not needed). Although I seem to remember someone offering to swap motors with my GT500...but I don't think that's gonna happen :coolman:

People can hate on the 5.4's all they want, but they are a good truck motor because they are good for working. There are not many if any other 1/2 truck motors that produce 80% of their torque at 2,000 rpm's like the 5.4's do.

Fatal Strike

660rwhp... ACEKIKR
Established Member
that is sweet as candy, i want one so bad, i will prolly go with the 6.2 though just cause I wanna play with the new motor, aint nothin wrong with a 5.4 though, my currant truck has one and it pulls my cobra just fine and reliable as it gets

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
looks like the raptor did well. I love going up there havent been up there since my water pump went out while draggin on the strip up there.

BraMas

Established Member
Very Cool! Did you go up the steep part of test hill or all the way to the right where the dunes are smaller? One of my trips out there I watched a H1 have trouble on test hill. I'm sure it was the driver but it was still funny

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Very Cool! Did you go up the steep part of test hill or all the way to the right where the dunes are smaller? One of my trips out there I watched a H1 have trouble on test hill. I'm sure it was the driver but it was still funny

Was it one of these Hummers:

[ame=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Hummer-vs-Jeep_30138.htm]Hummer vs Jeep - Car Videos on StreetFire[/ame]

:lol1:

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
Hah! Those are awsome! I've seen a few H1's have a hard time out there. We went up Test Hill just to the right of center. It was a little flat on the top that weekend, so not too many folks got stuck at the top. Although, right after we got up there we went back down to help pull a Chevy out :lol: I'm waiting for one of the other guys pics so I can post that one.

BraMas

Established Member
I was out there in Mid July and it was Very Rough out there. Atleast in my Envoy. I managed to hit my face on the Steering Wheel. Still hurts today
Here a couple of pics of Test Hill so people can get a little perspective
This is from the parking lot with Test hill in the back ground
P1010795.jpg

This picture is a little further to the right of it. The middle probably is all the way to the left of the Picture
P1010845.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread