fitment issues with stainless works full system

Deranged2013

Established Member
Wow!! I'm glad I read this. I was about to pull the trigger on a set of SW headers. What headers out there have the best fit?

If you can work through the fitment issues, it's worth it. The sound is the best I've heard on a coyote so far. Just have a few beers ready for when you get done with the installation because you will get a little frustrated.

BAD GT

Established Member
I have the same problem with the primary on the pass side to but mine just started. No other problems and I have the full system too. FYI I can see 6 degrees of knock retard at idle until I torque the motor and make a pass. I think I will put a little dent in mine to clear.

who here is running the full SW system?

im having a hell of a time getting this stuff to fit without rubbing gas tank, suspension, etc...

the catback fit fine on the passenger side but the driver side fit like complete shit. ive adjusted it every which way i can and its still just not fitting correctly. almost like a bad bend over the axle. sits less than a 1/4'' from the rear of the gas tank and full out lays on the panhard brace with a little rubbing on the swaybar mount...let alone everytime i tighten the clamp the pipe falls out, tacking the joint helped but not enough. after having a handfull of exhaust guys and installers look at it i finally just had my exhaust guy rebuild the over axle pipe on the d-side.

next problem is one of the passenger side primaries rubbing on the ca bushing causing horrible vibrations the last 10-15' before stopping. i loosened the motor mounts and shifted the motor to the d-side which worked for a few days but now is vibrating bad again. i called and spoke with someone @ SW about these issues and his advice was to loosen the motor mounts and shift the block and to email him pictures of the over axle pipe so he could advise me on how to properly adjust it....psssh BS dude there is no ****ing way that pipe could have been adjusted correctly....anyway like i said shifting the motor helped out for a day or two but now is back to vibrating like hell....im about to heat and dent the primary a little so it clears.....just pissed that i spent so much money on this system for it to fit like balls.....it does sound killer though!

anyone else run into these issues before? have any advice?

-chris

Last edited:

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
Like I said, sounds awesome, fits horrible. It's the lowest point on my car, I am going to have to go pay shop hr rate to borrow equipment to fit this thing right. This is after tack welding each clamp/union. I need to take and inch out of the before axle pipes to tuck it more. Cut down the rear pipes to tuck in the tips. Still trying to figure out what to do about smacking PHB brace. I have built exhaust from boxes of bends before and not having the time to do that on this build but now I have to fit this exhaust!?!?!?

To add I needed a full 3" system. Where the X pipe connects to over axel pipes still uses the factory 2.x" clamp. Lame! So full 3" system it's not. I made 862rwhp through it, sounds awesome. But after using SW in the past with no problem and now this after communicating with George at SW and nothing coming from it but empty words. Ill be hard pressed to use them again.

did you have problems on both sides or just the d-side rear? i also had problems trying to push the tips/mufflers in far enough so they werent sticking out 6-8" from the valance.

Chris I had the same problem with the passengers side header. Hitting the front lower control arm bushing. I was told the same BS. Moved the motor as far as it could physically go to the drivers side. The passengers side header still made contact with the bushing. I had to send Stainless works $200 dollars in order for them to send out another passengers side header. Refundable after return of the bad one.
Jason the guy I was dealing with up there. The guy is a total ass hat.
They have known they have fitment issues and seem to do nothing about it. The header they sent me was just as bad as the first one.
They know there are fitment issues but will not reimburse any labor for having to remove and re-install their bad parts.
I wish you would have talked to me before you bought the system. I certainly would of sent you in another direction. Put out the word SW sucks. :cuss:
By the way my headers were also professionally installed. Three guys all 30 years plus in the business could't believe how bad SW's customer service and fitment was.

damn man, i remember you telling me about this a while ago and just figured it was a bad run SW had back in 2011 and had since been corrected. i dont remember who i spoke to @ SW but i told him the same thing, i got multiple opinions from people with years and years in the field, some authorized dealers/installers, and they all said it was just a bad design. his response was to adjust it better....:shrug: im at the point now where ill just dent the primary to make it clear. when im ready ill do the full suspension and hope the over axles clear, most likely have them rebuilt again.

My header sits on my bushing too, a little. Is that a big problem or what?

only a problem for noise and vibration.

If you can work through the fitment issues, it's worth it. The sound is the best I've heard on a coyote so far. Just have a few beers ready for when you get done with the installation because you will get a little frustrated.

i havent heard a lot of full setups on these cars but i def like mine the best. the sound is killer, almost exotic imo...

I have the same problem with the primary on the pass side to but mine just started. No other problems and I have the full system too. FYI I can see 6 degrees of knock retard at idle until I torque the motor and make a pass. I think I will put a little dent in mine to clear.

happent o have any pictures of the over axle pipes? im curious as to why some guys have zero issues with the OA pipes and some say they fit like shit.

Das9185

Established Member
I would check to see if the k member shifted over while reinstalling. If you have had a alignment before and after you would see a change in your caster/ camber.

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
is the k member even adjustable at all? i dont remember

btw...last night i saw chris@SW viewing this thread while it had a good 20 posts made, mostly negative imo...nothing to add/comment on chris? or atleast make your presence known?

Torchy

Established Member
is the k member even adjustable at all? i dont remember

btw...last night i saw chris@SW viewing this thread while it had a good 20 posts made, mostly negative imo...nothing to add/comment on chris? or atleast make your presence known?

I think he meant that there is a slight variation in where the k-member ends up if you were to R&R it. Holes in the K-member are bigger than the studs it bolts too.

I wanted the SW cat back but after reading this I'm considering electric cut outs... Which really isn't my style but turboed

Das9185

Established Member
Yeah it's not adjustable but does have play in it.i would think its worth a try. Who ever said SW sent him another header and it was just as bad as the first, while possible is very unlikely.

Rdrcr

Established Member
who here is running the full SW system?

im having a hell of a time getting this stuff to fit without rubbing gas tank, suspension, etc...

the catback fit fine on the passenger side but the driver side fit like complete shit. ive adjusted it every which way i can and its still just not fitting correctly. after having a handfull of exhaust guys and installers look at it i finally just had my exhaust guy rebuild the over axle pipe on the d-side.

anyone else run into these issues before? have any advice?

-chris

I'm having some difficulty with the driver side piping. It is hanging too low and to the left. The passenger side fit perfectly. As it sits, luckily I'm not having any issues with rubbing on either side.

My goal at this point is for both tail pipes to be centered and match for a clean appearance.

I've installed two of the catback systems, neither one of them fit right without having an exhaust shop heat/modify hangers. It wasn't a big deal.

I'm thinking I'll need to modify the clamp/hanger on the left side hanger to center the pipe.

The exhaust is a tight fit, any of the 3" exhausts are a tight fit. But you shouldn't have any issues once you get everything bent around correctly.

I'm not sure if it's because we've done so many of them or what. We just put one on the red car with no issues. We put it on without the headers initially, no rubbing whatsoever.

We added the headers when we did the s/c last month, and again, 0 issues with fitment or rubbing.

I always tell people. Put some lube in all the joints, that will make it easier to move the system around til you get it just right.

I just got done doing a 22 hour round trip without the headers 2 months ago, and an 11 hour round trip to Joliet last month with the headers. Not one bang or clink. And the car is slammed on BMR springs.

You have a lot of joints, and tight clearance, but if you want 3", it's going to be tight. But should fit with no issues when done correctly.

I wouldn't be surprised that after installing a couple sets of these setups that they would become easy. My experienced installers had some difficulty with the left side piping. During the installation, time was running out, so I just had them leave it as it is. I'll be working to get the fitment correct over the next couple weeks when I have the time. It doesn't seem to be a big deal, my setup doesn't rub and I really like the sound and quality but, I just want both pipes to match and be centered.

All in all, I'm happy with it.
Thanks again!

Mike

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I'm thinking I'll need to modify the clamp/hanger on the left side hanger to center the pipe.

the only modifying that has to be done is stick a crow bar in there and bend it to where you want it.

the stuff will not always sit perfectly centered when you first bolt it in, but it doesn't need to be welded, or cut, or anything like that

take a crow bar, bend it to where you want it, and done..

not directed at you, but sometimes I think people over think it a little bit as far as that kind of stuff.

Deranged2013

Established Member
i havent heard a lot of full setups on these cars but i def like mine the best. the sound is killer, almost exotic imo...

Exotic is a good description! Like I said, if you can get them to fit right, it's worth it! Here is a vid of my last GT with ARH LTs, O/R X, & Stainless Works cat-back!

YouTube

Rdrcr

Established Member
the only modifying that has to be done is stick a crow bar in there and bend it to where you want it.

the stuff will not always sit perfectly centered when you first bolt it in, but it doesn't need to be welded, or cut, or anything like that

take a crow bar, bend it to where you want it, and done..

not directed at you, but sometimes I think people over think it a little bit as far as that kind of stuff.

Thanks Beef!

I'll give the crowbar a try tomorrow.

You can't beat the weight savings and the SW sound!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread