Fix for 1st to 2nd grind when cold

Fastford

Established Member
Originally posted by cdh027
You guys with the "let it warm up" are a frickin' trip. I have 1700 miles on her and she is in storage until spring. I drive it only on nice days and let it warm up in the driveway for 10-15 minutes after I pull it out of the garage and it still does it until I drive it for another 10 minutes or so. I don't know of any brand new car you must let warm up that long so the frickin' trans doesn't grind ????? :bash:

OK I threw the first keys!!! If the trans grinds when you shift it the get it fixed. Its not supposed to do that. So have ford fix it. They wont but you can waste your time and take it in.

As far as my accomplishments, I am proud to have accomplised what I have in the racing community, I worked hard for it. I try to offer adivse to someone and I get a Smart ass reply like" you guys with the let it warm up are a frickin trip" pisss me off. I offer a resonable suggestion and get it in my face. So thats my .02 cents Warming the trans before you shift it hard isnt a stupid idea. You warm your engine 5-10 minutes before you drive it why not your trans and rearend???????

Good luck getting your trans fixed....

Jason

Last edited:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
My car always grinds 1 to 2 (and only 1 to 2) in the cold. Once you start driving it, the problem goes away. I've thought about adding an additive to the tranny fluid but decided against it after several lengthy discussions from knowledgeable people.

amwalker

the wrench
Established Member
not trying to flame, but how much could the tranny fluid warm-up if the car is just sitting there idleing? do you mean drive it easy and shift slowly to let the tranny fluid warm-up?

Fastford

Established Member
Its not so much the fluid as it is the gears and sincro rings that need to get lubed and warmed up.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Ok Heres one for ya. My tranny is smooth as ass and QUIET when the car is COLD. I dont even have the inner rubber boot on the Tri Ax and it barely makes noise. Once it warms up, shifting takes a little more effort and the noise is very noticeable. What do you think is th cause in this case? :shrug:

paxtu22

Established Member
cdh
I had the same problem that you are speaking of. I had the car at Victor Motorsports and they changed the fluid without even batting an eye. They installed a driveshaft,as per the TSB, adjusted my top and replaced the top boot.
They are great to deal with. They always exceed my expectations.

Hope this helps

Eric

P.S. They are in Waconda.

cdh027

Established Member
paxtu22, that may be worth the drive for me. I brought it to a dealer around my area and they just sent me on my way saying it was normal. It sounds like Victor might actually give a damn. So your grinding problem is completely gone now ?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nobody else has had the 1st gear to 2nd gear grind when cold ?
Yes, I have the problem, too. Actually mine is worse now that I've changed to Redline MTF. I changed the fluid last April thinking that it would improve overall shift action and quite the tranny noise at bit (I had installed a Tri-Ax shifter). The dealer cautioned me that because the MTF fluid is a bit thicker I would see harder shifting in cold weather. At least until the transmission warmed up. I didn't follow his advice to leave the stock fluid and immediately discovered the noise didn't improve and the transmission didn't feel any different. And now that colder weather is setting in it is shifting (cold) a bit harder than I remember it did with the stock fluid. I know a lot of people swear by these aftermarket products, but use them at your own risk. If I were to do it again I would definitely have stuck with the stock fluid. It is more than adequate and will actually help your tranny shift easiest in cold weather.
;-)

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Fastford
Same piece of Shit I bought for $40K, its a ****ing ford not a BMW... You bought an over priced mustang like everyone else did. If you dont like it trade it or go to your ford dealer and bithc at them. If it grinds get it fixed. Warming it up is just a sugjestion!!!!! Some of you treat this car like it is some unreplaceable " I drive it only on nice days" car. Its A MUSTANG!!!!!!!!!! it not even worth $25K right now.

Please .. the smiles are for fun... I didnt achive everything I have in the FORD racing community for being a dumb ass. I worked hard to be this much of a dumb ass. I think It was my car that has been on the cover of every ford Magazine in the US, Not yours!!!! Dont be an ASSSSS take a verbal beating every once in a while.. Trust me I have accomplished more with a mustang then you will ever!!

Jason Cohen

Jeez, chill out dude. This ain't the small peni thread.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member

Yeah, mine has it when cold. I found that by pulling the shifter toward me (pressure to the left) when shifting from 1-2 the grind soesn't happen. Appears to be an alignment problem somewhere.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by amwalker
not trying to flame, but how much could the tranny fluid warm-up if the car is just sitting there idleing?

Heat transfer.

I find that shifting slowly until it's warm lessens it.

Video

Established Member
mine shifts hard 1-2 when cold...I changed to syn Mobil 1 tranny fluid at about 1500 miles...a little better but not much...I remember mt GT doing the 1-2 thing also....I didn't really give it much thought till now... I basically just shift real easy when cold and wait till it warms up...after that, no problems at all...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by paxtu22
The syncromesh seemed to help alot. It is still notchy, but does not grind at all.

Eric
Of all the synthetics I think Syncromesh seems to work the best. At least based on posts here.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member

Yes, I do. I've had it in every Mustang I've owned, which includes my 99 GT in which I had the tranny replaced. The new one did the same thing. Just make sure the clutch is to the floor and shift slow until it warms up.

Unfortunately, in cold weather, it could take 10 miles or more to warm up.

Friendchicken

I have it too. I also have to use pressure towards the steeringwheel to have it go without a grind. Looks like the tranny has poor tolerances and is out of spec when cold.

Fastford, your first responce was uncalled for and very immature. You may be right, but there are more diplomatic ways to handle yourself. I didn't know people had to take a mechanical exam to buy one of these cars. Give those without mechanical knowledge a chance to learn something in a positive light will ya?

GreyGhost

Established Member
Switched to Redline MTL with BG synchroshift supplement. Not only did it quiet it down it's a lot easier to shift and doesn't grind at all when it's cold. However, I did this over the summer and I've only drive the car once this year when the temperature has been close to freezing. We'll see,

Users who are viewing this thread