Fixing up a 2003 Cobra

robvas

Established Member
Stereo has been junk since I got it. It has an aftermarket Sony head unit but it doesn't have bluetooth...

The Mach 460 stuff was all still there but not wired up right. So all the speakers weren't working, etc. I thought about trying to connect it the right way, use the lineouts, etc, but I figured I'd just get new speakers and run new wires to them. It sounds alright, I can actually use the radio in the car now.

Only spend $100 on speakers. And I found a line in adapter for my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_4339.JPG
    IMG_4339.JPG
    339.1 KB · Views: 100

robvas

Established Member
Today I swapped out the green Gates belt. When I first got the car, that's what it had on it, so I bought the exact same one from the store. Meanwhile I replaced a couple pulleys, a couple bearings, and I would still get a 'chirp chip chirp'

When the car was hot, or when it was around 85 or warmer outside, the car didn't make any noise. After researching a bit it seemed like those green belts squeaking was pretty common, especially when cold.

Bought a Continental belt on Amazon for like $30 and slapped that on today. Idles quietly now.

Attachments

• IMG_4340.JPG
    IMG_4340.JPG
    334.2 KB · Views: 77

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
I decided to change both belts as a preventive maintenance measure. My car is stock. I got the Continental belts for both. The new inner belt was just a bit too small and I could not get it on. Perhaps if I had another set of hands? I got the Motorcraft belt and it was just a tad bit longer and it went on OK. The supercharger belt from Continental was fine.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Would it be worth picking up a bearing or two and swapping them into your old idlers to keep as spares?

robvas

Established Member
Would it be worth picking up a bearing or two and swapping them into your old idlers to keep as spares?
Did that on the billet idler I have, but I can't seem to get the bearings out of the factory style idler without a press.

A bearing is a couple bucks where the whole pulley is $30 so it would be nice.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yeah, you need a press to remove the bearings from the stock pullies. I have a press from Harbor Freight and it works fine for how I use it.

robvas

Established Member
Filled the gas tank a while back and it leaked....got around to fixing that.
Filled the tank again, and it leaked again. That last gallon or so doesn't want to stay in :lol:. Not a drop from the filler neck, though. Seems to be leaking from the top, maybe the left side a bit?

Where do these things like to leak? Seal around the fuel pump hat? Will have to run the tank down before I can pull it again so it might be a little while.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Filled the tank again, and it leaked again. That last gallon or so doesn't want to stay in :lol:. Not a drop from the filler neck, though. Seems to be leaking from the top, maybe the left side a bit?

Where do these things like to leak? Seal around the fuel pump hat? Will have to run the tank down before I can pull it again so it might be a little while.
Mine have always leaked from the fuel hat… :/

01yellercobra

Established Member
I had mine leak from the hat. I messed up installing the seal when I swapped hats one time. But it wasn't a little leak when it happened.

robvas

Established Member
Lost a cobra badge sometime in the last week...

Attachments

• IMG_5151.jpeg
    IMG_5151.jpeg
    348.5 KB · Views: 79

01yellercobra

Established Member
We ran Dynomaxes on our classic cars back in the day. They were decent and not overly loud.

robvas

Established Member
If I stop at Autozone before I pick up the kids I might be able to get the parts to finish up!

Attachments

• IMG_5303.jpeg
    IMG_5303.jpeg
    504.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5302.jpeg
    IMG_5302.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5301.jpeg
    IMG_5301.jpeg
    348.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5300.jpeg
    IMG_5300.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5299.jpeg
    IMG_5299.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 75

robvas

Established Member
I need a pair of exhaust hangers and a pair of clamps. I will cut a set of turndowns but that's for another day.

What it sounded like before:

What it sounds like now:

Not a 100% fair comparison because the tips are right by the camera, but it's a totally different sound. Will make a inside and outside of car driving clip once I get it all secured.

Users who are viewing this thread