flood cars

Established Member
TV said one insurance Co alone will have over 30,000 cars to dispose of from Houston. Seems like if the east coast gets hit too, there will be a boatload of flood cars on the market in about a month. Does anyone deal in these things?

testorossa1989

Established Member
Dealer the town over from me only bought Katrina cars and the place was hands down the worst place you could buy a car from. This event will definitely test buyers knowledge

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
That is a great point. Should be a good PSA for those looking in the used market and do NOT want a flood car.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There were 45 buyers from Texas dealerships at the local Ford auction in Kansas City today. They need cars to sell..used car prices are going to climb.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
There were 45 buyers from Texas dealerships at the local Ford auction in Kansas City today. They need cars to sell..used car prices are going to climb.

I only see that being a temporary bump in prices though, right? Should be a good few months for you.

Stanger00

Established Member
I've been shopping F150s and when I see 2015 F150 XLT 4x4 301a's listed at 25k with 30k miles I automatically think flood damage. eBay high volume dealer out of Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I always seem to sell cars at the worst moment lol.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I only see that being a temporary bump in prices though, right? Should be a good few months for you.

I'd bet it's a fairly long term thing. Not nearly as bad as the "Cash for Clunkers" debacle, but it will be similar.

I always seem to sell cars at the worst moment lol.

Eh, an RS isn't your typical used car. I wouldn't let it bother you too much.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Thought flood cars were techically supposed to be destroyed. I know the reality is many will end up back on the market. I would definitely do public data searches on the vin to find previous owner and attemp to contact if buying from a used car dealer. I would imagine auto check/car fax would be fairly reliable in checking status, but I would not rely on that alone. There was an estimate that 500K cars were flooded in the houston area, it's scary to think many could end up back on the road.

MG0h3

Established Member
One way to check is to look on top of flat surfaces for silt/dirt that wouldn't regularly be there. Best to look inside the car like up under the dash/pedal assy where they wouldn't have pressure washed it off.

Established Member
If the water doesn't get too high, what would it hurt to get one if its fresh water, as opposed to salt water, at a big discount. I drive my cars into the ground, so a salvage title wouldn't hurt much.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
My thought is it might be worth picking one up on the cheap. you could probably replace shit that got wet and still be under the price of one new

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
If the water doesn't get too high, what would it hurt to get one if its fresh water, as opposed to salt water, at a big discount. I drive my cars into the ground, so a salvage title wouldn't hurt much.

If mold had time to form and spread, highly likely, you will have to gut the interior and treat. Fly by nights try and mask it and the unlucky buyer wonders why their car stinks a month after purchase.

nxhappy

Established Member
so would a car fax literally show "flood damage" ??

norcalcobra

Established Member
Any car that an insurance company writes off as flooded is a "Katrina" car. Its title will show "Salvage NON-Repairable". Cant drive them on public roads. They are all race cars now! Act of Congress to protect consumers from buying junk cars. I lost a 04 cobra to slight water intrusion in 06 when a levee broke in N. California. Only 1/2 inch of water soaked the floor boards. Condensation was observed on the windows and dash by the insurance company, they totaled it. After buying a “salvaged” car from my insurance company, title arrived as Salvaged, more importantly second part of that was “NON-repairable”. They failed to mention that part, and I didn’t know to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread