flood cars

beau t

Established Member
not all are listed as non repairable i think it depends on the state, had a buddy buy 1 form a salvage auction, title check did have it listed as a flood vehicle but he was able to get it tagged

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
obviously plenty of shady shit goes on, if Im looking at used cars Im gonna be suspicious as hell of anything that was registered in Texas anywhere near the time frame of the storm

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I think I remember a thread a while back about titles being scrubbed of the salvage status and sold as a clean title.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
After Katrina in Louisiana if it was totaled due to water the car can not be put back on the road. So many junk Katrina cars ended up being "rebuilt". And I just received an email from Mercedes, that if a car has flood damage it has to be written using a specific code so that MB knows it's flood damaged and depending on extent of repairs, they'll void the warranty or make you get MB rep approvals before any repairs can be completed under warranty.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think I remember a thread a while back about titles being scrubbed of the salvage status and sold as a clean title.

You can "clean" the title by registering it in certain states, then re-registering it in your home state. I can't remember off the top of my head which states it works in.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
You can "clean" the title by registering it in certain states, then re-registering it in your home state. I can't remember off the top of my head which states it works in.

Which is terrifying that is allowed to happen.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Which is terrifying that is allowed to happen.

It's not like it's allowed or not allowed... just their process of titling an out of state title (turning it into an in-state title) have very serious flaws.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It's not like it's allowed or not allowed... just their process of titling an out of state title (turning it into an in-state title) have very serious flaws.

If it isn't forbidden, its allowed lol.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Im kinda surprised there hasnt been some attempt to standardize that process across all states just for this reason

SHOdown220

Established Member
we had a guy with a honda civic he bought cheap for his son that was a flood car from sandy i believe, he kept bringing it to us to flush the transmission fluid and change the oil, like twice a week for a couple months. We must have done 15 trans flushes on that thing and would still find water mixed in. Not to mention the dash was lit up like a christmas tree with warning codes, most of the electronics were junk. I would never, ever touch a flood car unless you are parting out the "good" parts left

nxhappy

Established Member
wow, that's ****ed up.

oster910

Turboman
Established Member
Most newer cars are all computers so if they get submerged they will never be the same again. The turn signal will roll down the window.

Not true at all, I have a 2014 gt that was "flooded" to the wheels and I have not had a single issue, my brother has one that was flooded higher than the dash and he has put over 70k miles on it and never had one issue, that is after he replaced the motor, and no rust, but needed new seats and carpet
and there is no mold or anything under the dash, even had it tested

My thought is it might be worth picking one up on the cheap. you could probably replace shit that got wet and still be under the price of one new

as I mentioned I picked one up for a reasonable price and never had an issue and just got back from a cross country road trip ( did a loop across the us)
got the car with 18k miles and now have over 34k and not one issue

If mold had time to form and spread, highly likely, you will have to gut the interior and treat. Fly by nights try and mask it and the unlucky buyer wonders why their car stinks a month after purchase.

maybe true in some cases but we have 2 cars that were flooded and fixed without any cutting corners, no issues and no smell or mold or electrical issues

so would a car fax literally show "flood damage" ??

that part is true, that being said there are ways around it, I personally will never have it removed from my Carfax because I would want people to always know, its one thing to save a little cash but its another to cover up

Any car that an insurance company writes off as flooded is a "Katrina" car. Its title will show "Salvage NON-Repairable". Cant drive them on public roads. They are all race cars now! Act of Congress to protect consumers from buying junk cars. I lost a 04 cobra to slight water intrusion in 06 when a levee broke in N. California. Only 1/2 inch of water soaked the floor boards. Condensation was observed on the windows and dash by the insurance company, they totaled it. After buying a “salvaged” car from my insurance company, title arrived as Salvaged, more importantly second part of that was “NON-repairable”. They failed to mention that part, and I didn’t know to ask.

perhaps in some states maybe, but from LA and FL and TX
in our experience we had no issues getting it titled, that is after you go through the salvage inspection, with the state police then a regular inspection at a shop

oster910

Turboman
Established Member
IMG_2250.jpg
IMG_2257.jpg
1C9ADF34-.jpg
IMG_2991.jpg
IMG_2993.jpg
IMG_2994.jpg
IMG_2252.jpg
IMG_1713.jpg
IMG_1718.jpg
IMG_1770.jpg
IMG_1718.jpg
I have seen some threads on here about flooded cars, some people are curious about how it all works. first and foremost I don't want to sway anyone to get one or not to get one, that being said I have some experience in this.
I picked up a 2014 gt from a fresh water flood, and It needed a new motor, so we got one
and did opg, cs and put a blower on
I have literally driven this car across the united states, I took it through the desert and all over the country and did pretty well, no issues no electrical gremlins and not one bit of rust mold or anything like that, the car has honestly been the best automotive purchase I did. I know some of you will say there will be electrical issues down the line and I would have to disagree, at least not in the 11-14's when we pulled the old motor for the new one we noticed the connections are sealed, I have put 16k miles in the time I have owned it and its been extremely good to me. my brother got a 2011 gt he got from auction as well and the car also needed a motor except his was flooded past the dash, and he has had the same situation, he has put over 70k on the car and has not had any electrical issues or anything for that matter
both cars have 0% rust and no mold
I have a friend of mine who did a very similar thing, with 2 other 2013 gt's and has had them for years, he has not had any issues
I know it may sound too good to be true but that's my experience, I am not trying to convince anyone to go ahead and buy a flooded car, because there are a lot of variables but that being said we both made out extremely happy.
if someone was going to ask me if they can check the car out and put it on the lift I would go ahead and do it, I actually want to get all of the pictures of the process and make a thread on that sometime.

I cannot say that all cars will be this way, I know some older cars will not do so well, and will probably be good for parts, but I for sure will get another flood 11-14 in the future

one thing I ask of you if you ever decide to go this route, never get rid of the history of the car and be 100% open with people if you ever plan to sell a car that's been flooded

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
These flood cars can be shipped from Texas and from Florida, you would never know it was in a flood. Due diligence, be smart and get history of car (previous ownership). Even then I would inspect like crazy. Damn, would love to find a flood ACR.

TP03

Established Member
If a car is registered in a county that was flooded, Carfax will make note of it on the history report. This is done even if there isn't a claim. So if cars are getting shipped out there will always be a paper trail. Then it's up to the buyer to investigate for signs of flooding.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Any car that an insurance company writes off as flooded is a "Katrina" car. Its title will show "Salvage NON-Repairable". Cant drive them on public roads. They are all race cars now! Act of Congress to protect consumers from buying junk cars. I lost a 04 cobra to slight water intrusion in 06 when a levee broke in N. California. Only 1/2 inch of water soaked the floor boards. Condensation was observed on the windows and dash by the insurance company, they totaled it. After buying a “salvaged” car from my insurance company, title arrived as Salvaged, more importantly second part of that was “NON-repairable”. They failed to mention that part, and I didn’t know to ask.
Well, I'm hoping that I don't have two cars to add to the flooded category. Still do not know the disposition of my '13 GT500 and '15 Fiests ST.

Users who are viewing this thread