Flood photo, Southwest Washington

chevytosvt

Guns go bang
Established Member
Flood photos, Southwest Washington

These are pictures of the wide spread destruction in Doty, Dryad, and Pe Ell, I'm sure you guys have seen whats going on here in the news, these are just a few of the pictures I have taken so far..

Edit:The flood hit on Monday, I just got internet back today

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7463915@N04/sets/72157603388810267/

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i hadnt heard of it today until i found out that was why my Tmobile service was acting up. they said that their washington call center was flooded.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
My dad's friend had his F150 in for service at a Ford dealer in Centralia. I guess the entire dealership is almost under water with his truck inside. They got all the new cars out but his vehicle was unable to be moved because of the tranny work they were doing. They said if his truck is on a lift it might be ok, but they can't even get in there to find out.

Across the street the lumber yard flooded the same and I guess there's lumber floating all over the place. It's crazy how much rain we got, they said within 12 hours we broke the state record for rainfall in a 24 hour period or something like that.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I know how it feels. Its hard to get life back to normal after all that. I have lived thru 2 floods and several high water times. Flooding is right next to a fire. You can see it but you can't stop it. My family's house in 1977 had 12 feet of water in it. My wife and her family's house was never seen again from the flood. And its something you will NEVER forget. God speed on getting your lives back to somewhat normalcy.

chevytosvt

Guns go bang
Established Member
I know how it feels. Its hard to get life back to normal after all that. I have lived thru 2 floods and several high water times. Flooding is right next to a fire. You can see it but you can't stop it. My family's house in 1977 had 12 feet of water in it. My wife and her family's house was never seen again from the flood. And its something you will NEVER forget. God speed on getting your lives back to somewhat normalcy.

Thank you! Its unreal to go to bed one night, then wake up and find your community in shambles, it came in so quickly a lot of people didn't even have time to react...:nonono:

chevytosvt

Guns go bang
Established Member
My dad's friend had his F150 in for service at a Ford dealer in Centralia. I guess the entire dealership is almost under water with his truck inside. They got all the new cars out but his vehicle was unable to be moved because of the tranny work they were doing. They said if his truck is on a lift it might be ok, but they can't even get in there to find out.

Across the street the lumber yard flooded the same and I guess there's lumber floating all over the place. It's crazy how much rain we got, they said within 12 hours we broke the state record for rainfall in a 24 hour period or something like that.

Yeah, I'm not 100% certain, but I heard we got somewhere north of 5 inches in a few hours, the river flooded so quick no one had time to react!

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Thank you! Its unreal to go to bed one night, then wake up and find your community in shambles, it came in so quickly a lot of people didn't even have time to react...:nonono:

Thats the way it was for us. I was 17 at the time. My father told me at 11:30 pm as we were out back of the house looking at the river. Son it will never get in the house. The river level was about 10 - 12 feet below the top of the bank. At 1:00 am he told me to get downstairs and get anything important out of the safe he had and whatever else I could grab. Within about 20 minutes or so it had raised half way to my knees or so. I did not get much. We lost our child hood pics, movies and stuff. I had baseball cards all the way back to the 60s. Lost everything. But looking back it did not mean much since we had our lives. Well during the night my dad kept saying get some sleep. About daybreak 6:30 am I got up and walked out of my bedroom on the second floor. I opened the door to downstairs and looked and the water was right there covering the top step and almost to the door. I freaked. I walked to the kitchen window and looked out all all I could see was water. I had asked my dad during the night if the water was raising and he said no he could still see the truck up the road in the moon light. It was an empty fuel tanker truck and it was floating. Finally a couple of men in a speed boat came up to the house and we climbed from our second story front porch into the boat. It was a wierd feeling. I will keep you in my prayers that you have a speedy recovery. I know its a long process as it took my dad and mom about 1 year and a half or longer to get the downstairs back in order after tearing everything out to the outside walls. Oh and we went thru it again in 1984 and thats when my dad moved the whole family to property away from the river on high and dry land.

Oh and check out the link below from one of the floods about 40 miles from me that happened in 1972.

http://www.wvculture.org/history/buffcreek/bctitle.html

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The thing was is that it snowed about 6 inches on saturday and then the next day it was like 45 degrees and we got record rain. So all the melting snow plus the rain was just too much for the rivers to handle. This is all because of the La Nina weather pattern we're on. We got the pineapple express from Hawaii which they said was like a fire hose being directed to the NW. They reported wind speeds on the coast of Wa. and Ore. at over 100mph. In Oregon they said they could get up to 120, but I'm not sure if they did. That's hurricane winds though, and it wasn't even a hurricane. Just shows you how fast that storm got here.

The same thing happened in 96 and it flooded my parents business. There was about 3 feet of water in the parking lot and about 6 inches inside the building. It is just like a fire, you can get plenty of warning but there is no way to stop it, you can only try and protect what you have.

Last edited:

andreas.e

User from Sweden
Established Member
She can stay at my place until its safe!

2089510003_6399388b0b.jpg

jasil

Established Member
Sucks!! Good luck, from down South and Katrina was a motha...the left over sediment brings back memories.

Users who are viewing this thread