Floor Mats Tearing Carpet?

divided

Established Member
My drivers side floor mat is tearing a hole in the carpet. It pulling the hook off the carpet. Any way to fix this before it tears a bigger hole??

JamesT

Established Member
Mine did it too. Luckily it was still under warranty and the dealer replaced the driver's side/front carpet panel for free.

Y2k4cobra

Bohemian Bandit II
Established Member
dont use the hook, just lay the mat on top of it that should solve the pressure on the hook, the mat might slide a little but its no different than past cars that didn't have the hook.

CobraRyan

Banned
^ Yep i use the hook because if not the carpet slides under the pedals, which can interupt WOT or your clutch if it engages down low.

Silverboost

Established Member
same problem here. I just ended up removing the hook. Maybe I should just run some 50lb fishing line through the hole on the mat and then around the the seat bracket to keep it from moving.

JMoore112

JM0 SVT
Established Member
Bringing this back from the dead. I know a lot of you have this issue, but never could find a good solution.

Mine is showing minimal signs of wear, but i would like to strengthen this "weak" point before it rips substantially.

Some have replaced the entire OEM carpet with a new hook installed, but this will just happen again if I use the same design.
Also my carpet still looks new at 18,XXX miles, and no reason to replace the whole piece.

Any of you patch this to reinforce this yourselves or have a restoration shop do it? The stock floor mats slide far too easy without this hook,
so i'd like to keep it if i can figure out a solution. I know its small, but it's really bugging me.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
I've though about using the "glue tape" that carpet installers use on seams. Then use a cloths iron to heat it up and install. I figure that would be permanent and strong. Install from underneath and cut around the 2 openings for the clip but make sure the tape goes through the center of the hook. This should kill 2 birds with one stone. Repair the tear/fix the carpet and reinforce the clip area to prevent future tears.

I was thinking if I see carpet installers they would probably give me a scrap.

JMoore112

JM0 SVT
Established Member
I've though about using the "glue tape" that carpet installers use on seams. Then use a cloths iron to heat it up and install. I figure that would be permanent and strong. Install from underneath and cut around the 2 openings for the clip but make sure the tape goes through the center of the hook. This should kill 2 birds with one stone. Repair the tear/fix the carpet and reinforce the clip area to prevent future tears.

I was thinking if I see carpet installers they would probably give me a scrap.

Interesting... Please let me know if you get a chance to try that. I've never seen that used, but definitely something I will check into. Thanks for the idea:beer:

I know it will be covered by the floor mat anyways, but I don't want it to show any sign of ever being repaired. If I can't get it perfect, my second option will have to be new carpet.
I might as well try all options if i'm going to end up replacing it anyways...

LMR has new carpet from $129 and up, not as bad as i thought. They also claim it has

"Jute sound deadening material helps insulate your Mustang from road noise and engine heat."

That may be reason enough to justify pulling my carpet if they offer a very close color match for my black 04 cobra.
Although, it says at the bottom of the page "Correct Color for 1994-1998"
Anyone purchase from Mustang Parts & Accessories at LatemodelRestoration.com by chance? If so, was the color correct?

funtruck

I Hate Mustangs
Established Member
I'm using 2 or 3 (black) zipties through the eyelets of the floor mat attaching it to the seat frame. It sits in the same location on the floorboard. I don't really like it but it's a temporary fix that's been holding for about 5 years now.

JMoore112

JM0 SVT
Established Member
I'm using 2 or 3 (black) zipties through the eyelets of the floor mat attaching it to the seat frame. It sits in the same location on the floorboard. I don't really like it but it's a temporary fix that's been holding for about 5 years now.

That's a good idea for a temp fix, and much safer than nothing at all until I find a permanent fix. I took the carpet off the hook for now to avoid ripping the carpet, but the floor mat has slid up and snagged my throttle pedal once already. Although, the car is put away for the winter already, so I have a few months to find a solution before I drive it next.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread