Flowmaster 'Hushpower' Axleback with Lethal 3" O/R X-Pipe

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
I just finished installing my Flowmaster 'Hushpower' axleback this evening. It took a little over an hour laying on my back in the driveway!

I weighed the stock mufflers when I took them off and they weighed in at 21 pounds each. The 'Hushpower' mufflers weighed only 11 pounds each. This comes out to a 20 pound weight savings on the car!! :banana:

I cranked the car up and it is definitely louder that the stock axle back. It has a good deep tone. I took the car for a 10 minute drive with some starts, stops and some highway cruising.

There is no 'drone' at any RPM and the sound levels in the car at 60, 65 and 70 MPH (I have 3.73 gears) isn't loud at all. I was able to listen to the radio and didn't have to have it blasting to hear it.

I did a couple of pulls through the gears and it has a good deep sound to it! So far I'm very happy with the overall look and sound of my Lethal Performance 3" O/R X-pipe and Flowmaster 'Hushpower' axleback exhaust!!

I'm still planning on going to the exhaust shop and getting them to cut the resonators out and replace them with straight pipe.

I like the way the tips and mufflers look on the car from behind. The mufflers are much smaller and black so all you see from behind the car is the nice 4" rolled tips!!

I will also try to post up a video of how it sounds at idle, accelerating, driving down the road, etc.

*****Video added in post #25*****

DSCF1022.jpg

DSCF1024.jpg

Last edited:

stang910

Established Member
I'll be getting an O/R X soon. I already have the Hushpower axleback. Good to hear there's still no drone even with the O/R X. This is something I was concerned about as my 07 with O/R X and stingers drove me crazy at times.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
Pics added to the original post. I'm going to try to get a sound video of the exhaust done in the next couple of days.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
We're working on it guys!!

My son is going to try to get the video up tonight. He has been working everyday and his home computer will not load the video so he is going to have to use a friends computer.

+1

Did the axle-backs bolt right up to the Lethal X-pipe???

The axlebacks are basically just two mufflers with a small section of pipe welded to it. They fit to the 'ball and socket' flange where the tailpipe goes over the rear axle.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
After work this afternoon I went to my local muffler shop and had them cut out the two resonators and weld in a straight piece of pipe in their place.

I wasn't expecting much of a difference in sound. Boy was I wrong!! :bash: It is somewhat louder at idle and during normal driving, but it is increadibly loud at wide open throttle!!

I took it back out after dinner and my wife listened as I went up the road to test it out. She said she could here me when I went through 1st and 2nd gears to about 6500 rpms when I was about a 1/2 mile away!!

I'm glad I got the exhaust shop to save the resonators and give them back to me. I will be going back on Tuesday morning and get them welded back in!! What a waste of time and money!!

I was going to get my son to do some more video of the car with the resonators deleted but he is on his way to Maryland tonight. I might be able to get a sound video of it tomorrow night.

My son's friend is working on getting the original video posted so that I can put a link in this thread.

slyguy

Established Member
Wow - sorry to hear that didn't work out. Appreciate the heads up though!!!

Just so I understand:

You have stock exhaust manifolds, LP Off Road X pipe, then stock from there to the HushPower axle-backs?

K&N instead of cold air intake?

Tune? From who - also from LP???, and what do you think of it?

Even though my car doesn't get built until 9/8, I have the K&N and the HP axle-backs waiting for it to arrive.

I know I can't get a tune until I get the car, but I'm wondering if I should get the Xpipe on order now.

So far, you and I seem to be on exactly the same page!

I can't wait to hear what your car sounds like with the xpipe and the axel-backs. (oh yeah - WITH the resonators;-)

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
Wow - sorry to hear that didn't work out. Appreciate the heads up though!!!

Just so I understand:

You have stock exhaust manifolds, LP Off Road X pipe, then stock from there to the HushPower axle-backs?

K&N instead of cold air intake?

Tune? From who - also from LP???, and what do you think of it?

Even though my car doesn't get built until 9/8, I have the K&N and the HP axle-backs waiting for it to arrive.

I know I can't get a tune until I get the car, but I'm wondering if I should get the Xpipe on order now.

So far, you and I seem to be on exactly the same page!

I can't wait to hear what your car sounds like with the xpipe and the axel-backs. (oh yeah - WITH the resonators;-)

I guess you have to try things on these new cars to find out!!

Yes, my car has stock manifolds, Lethal 3" O/R X-pipe, then stock pipes back to the 'Hushpower' axleback.

Yes, I have a K&N filter. I got it to hold me over until the release of the JLT CAI. I'm on the waiting list, they said they should start taking pre-orders the first of next week.

My tune is a 93 octane tune from Lethal (by Jon Lund) that I got with the X-pipe. I really like the tune, the car is much more responsive and I could definitely tell the difference in the power with it and the X-pipe. The car has OEM drivability with this tune!!

I would wait until you get the car to order your X-pipe since you will need the computer code to get a tune.

Lethal sells the X-pipe, SCT tuner and tune as a package. I think the package lists for $769 on their website, but tell them you are a svtp member and you will get a discount. It only took about 3 days for me to get my X-pipe, tuner and tune from the time that I ordered. Lethal is in FL and I'm in VA.

I will post a link to the video as soon as my son's friend gets it uploaded!

I hate the sound without the resonators so bad that I don't think I can wait until Tuesday!! I might just go to another exhaust shop in the morning to get the them reinstalled!

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
Does the car drone now or is it just really loud under WOT?

No drone; just a little louder at idle and during regular driving; but obnoxiously loud at WOT. I'm on my way to the exhaust shop to get the resonators put back in.

did you like the resonator delete before you did the x pipe. what changed. raspy? too loud?

I installed the axleback myself and it still had the resonators before yesterday. So I don't know what it would have sounded like with the X-pipe, deleted resonators and stock axleback.

I was just really shocked at the difference it made by taking them out. It went from me really liking my exhaust sound to absolutely hating it!!

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

Has anyone just installed the x pipe and cut the resonator's out with the factory catback. I'm thinking that would sound great. I mean really how restrictive are the factory muffler's? I would love to see a muffler shoot out on this new car. :banana::banana:

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
to each his own. i love my resonator delete. but, i can only imagine how loud it woud be with no cats. i bet then it would be way to loud for me

Users who are viewing this thread