Flowmaster's American Thunder Axle-Back for the 2013-2014 Mustang GT500 5.8L

FlowmasterMufflers

Established Member
Part #817612

[video=youtube;7y3oBTV7duY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y3oBTV7duY&list=UU0SbU_Szg5f5HebNeWY00fw[/video]

Flowmaster's American Thunder Axle-back exhaust system for the 2013-2014 Mustang Shelby GT500 with the 5.8L Supercharged V8 engine is perfect for the person looking for an aggressive exterior sound level while maintaining a tolerable interior sound with all of the performance benefits that you would expect from Flowmaster. This bolt on 409S Stainless Steel system features dual specially tuned resonator mufflers with quad 3.50 in. stainless tips that have machined aluminum edges. The exhaust system is manufactured in the USA and is covered by Flowmaster's Lifetime Limited Warranty. Designed for an easy fit, this system includes all necessary parts and hardware for installation.

ovjXFSu.jpg

✓ Stainless Steel Construction
✓ Dyno Tuned For Maximum Performance
✓ Bolt-on Installation
✓ Lifetime Limited Warranty
✓ Made in the USA

paluka21

Established Member
Like the sound a lot but don't like the tips at all. Matter of fact I would seriously consider purchasing flowmaster axle back if the tips looked like stock 13-14 tips. Will you guys be offering any alternatives?

paluka21

Established Member
The tips that come in the kit actually clamp-on. You can swap them out for any 2.50" tips that you would like.

So does Flowmaster offer a different style tip for sale or is this something that would need to be purchased separately from another vendor? Seems like a PITA and would be easier to just offer options with the exhaust tips.

FlowmasterMufflers

Established Member
So does Flowmaster offer a different style tip for sale or is this something that would need to be purchased separately from another vendor? Seems like a PITA and would be easier to just offer options with the exhaust tips.

I appreciate everyone's honesty and feedback. This kit is not offered with a different style of tip, but we do have a large selection of tips to choose from on our website..

paluka21

Established Member
I appreciate everyone's honesty and feedback. This kit is not offered with a different style of tip, but we do have a large selection of tips to choose from on our website..

Thanks Matt. I do believe that if this muffler were offered with a tip that was more appealing for folks, I personally think they would sell better as they do have a good sound. Are the mufflers you're advertising in this thread the same as the following link? I think these mufflers sound and look perfect:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...T500-Axle-Back-Prototype&highlight=flowmaster

I personally like the tips in the later post. Could the mufflers you're offering be packaged with these tips, if they even fit? http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=451&partno=15389

Last edited:

FlowmasterMufflers

Established Member
Thanks Matt. I do believe that if this muffler were offered with a tip that was more appealing for folks, I personally think they would sell better as they do have a good sound. Are the mufflers you're advertising in this thread the same as the following link? I think these mufflers sound and look perfect:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...T500-Axle-Back-Prototype&highlight=flowmaster

I personally like the tips in the later post. Could the mufflers you're offering be packaged with these tips, if they even fit? http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=451&partno=15389

Yes, the mufflers are the same as those in the thread that you linked to. Basically, this system uses Outlaw muffler-type internals (straight-through design) in an oval-shaped case. The rings that you can see in the photos help to take some of the edge off of the sound. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this kit cannot be ordered with different tips. The tips can be replaced or changed, but we don't offer that as an option when ordering the system.

JPs2013GT500

I can count to potato
Established Member
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this kit cannot be ordered with different tips. The tips can be replaced or changed, but we don't offer that as an option when ordering the system.
Too bad. I also believe that the tips are hurting the overall sales of these.

FWIW, I'm speaking as someone that has purchased this kit. I ran it for about two weeks and absolutely hated the look of the tips. Removed the system while I tried to find replacement tips. Maybe it's because I don't know the best places to look for such things but I played hell trying to find another set of 8" length, 2.5" inlet, 4" outlet size (the 3.5 look too small IMHO) replacement tips that wasn't insanely expensive. Now the whole kit, including tips are collecting dust in a corner of my garage. One day I may hook it all back up and try it again.

Also, playing captain obvious here for a second I suppose, if you run these with an off-road H-pipe it sounds nice but is loud as balls. Even made my dash rattle on downshifts.

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Too bad. I also believe that the tips are hurting the overall sales of these.

FWIW, I'm speaking as someone that has purchased this kit. I ran it for about two weeks and absolutely hated the look of the tips. Removed the system while I tried to find replacement tips. Maybe it's because I don't know the best places to look for such things but I played hell trying to find another set of 8" length, 2.5" inlet, 4" outlet size (the 3.5 look too small IMHO) replacement tips that wasn't insanely expensive. Now the whole kit, including tips are collecting dust in a corner of my garage. One day I may hook it all back up and try it again.

Also, playing captain obvious here for a second I suppose, if you run these with an off-road H-pipe it sounds nice but is loud as balls. Even made my dash rattle on downshifts.

Lol, I completely agree those tips look like plumbing connections.

paluka21

Established Member
Yes, the mufflers are the same as those in the thread that you linked to. Basically, this system uses Outlaw muffler-type internals (straight-through design) in an oval-shaped case. The rings that you can see in the photos help to take some of the edge off of the sound. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this kit cannot be ordered with different tips. The tips can be replaced or changed, but we don't offer that as an option when ordering the system.

Matt- that's too bad. I guess it's MRT for me then unless Flowmaster can market better looking exhaust tips with this kit.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
I really like a tip like the super snake's. the Oval.

I also don't like the tips offered here.
#1 no one wants clamp on tips like this...
#2 they are painted black. How long until that comes off.
#3, they aren't t-304 and they can corrode.

for me, quality comes above sound any day.

Last edited:

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
Been a while since I have posted on here but that was my write up about the first two Flowmaster prototypes. I did eventually weld on and powder coat 4" tips. As noted in my write up, I agree with you guys obviously.
2014 rear corner.jpg

sykb47l

On 3?
Established Member
I think its safe to say that almost everyone hates the tips. You'd think that would be enough feedback to perhaps change the design or at least offer an alternative part number.

They look horrible.

Ky GT500

Established Member
Input from 13RaceRed during development and current input from the ones that have posted so far,, would suggest Flowmaster go back and look at their decision on tips. Unless they are counting on folks that have no internet skill to research these,, to purchase from the Flowmaster name alone. I held off on switching exhaust and ran the stock axle backs until I could find something I really wanted. The Super Snakes finally became available and I pulled the trigger on those,,,very happy I waited.

image.jpg

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Input from 13RaceRed during development and current input from the ones that have posted so far,, would suggest Flowmaster go back and look at their decision on tips. Unless they are counting on folks that have no internet skill to research these,, to purchase from the Flowmaster name alone. I held off on switching exhaust and ran the stock axle backs until I could find something I really wanted. The Super Snakes finally became available and I pulled the trigger on those,,,very happy I waited.

View attachment 34775

damn I can't wait to get mine, definitely the best axle back for the GT500s.

Users who are viewing this thread