flywheel question

oneSICsvt

Established Member
So I'm in the market for a new clutch, I will be getting a spec 3 or 3+ kit, fiore adjuster and quadrant, ford pilot bearing, ford TOB, and ford cable. But what I'm unsure about is the flywheel. I will be getting a pulley and tune soon so ill be at around 460rwhp. Do you guys recommend aluminum or steel flywheel for my setup. Keep in mind it is my DD.
Thank you in advance for the help

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
i thought they came stock with the "upgraded aluminum" flywheel to allow fast revving. I'd stick with aluminum.

edit: only benefit to steel would be it'd be more durable as its more friendly to heat i'd feel

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
OP, I am doing the exact same set-up when funds allow...I'm now at 560HP, and the stocker is slippin'...the only thing that I have found out from my research, and not sure if it's totally true is, if you go with a Steel flywheel the chatter is less...I'm going to be going with a Spec Steel Flywheel for that reason, as I have heard too many horror stories with Spec3+s chattering too much...

oneSICsvt

Established Member
OP, I am doing the exact same set-up when funds allow...I'm now at 560HP, and the stocker is slippin'...the only thing that I have found out from my research, and not sure if it's totally true is, if you go with a Steel flywheel the chatter is less...I'm going to be going with a Spec Steel Flywheel for that reason, as I have heard too many horror stories with Spec3+s chattering too much...

Damn 560 with stock, are you going with spec 3+ clutch and the spec steel flywheel

VincodeY

Established Member
My experience with aluminum vs steel is this...a full faced disk, go with aluminum. a puck style race clutch, go with steel. I had a spec 3 with a stock resurfaced flywheel and it chattered like a mother. Ended up replacing everything with RAM products. I put in a steel flywheel and it did change the car, to me. It doesnt rev as free as it did before and for that reason alone, I hate the steel flywheel. I have a powergrip clutch so I should have gone with an aluminum, but funds wouldn't allow and it's my dd.

Users who are viewing this thread