Focus pumps and KB help???

raiders03

Banned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this has been discussed a 100 times but I still am confused. If you are close to 700 RWHP with the KB, focus pumps, and 55's, should you use a boost a pump. Has anyone had problems with the focus pumps between 650-700 RWHP. I am having the car tuned tommorrow and I need to decide now if I want them to use the BAP. I should be at the 660+ RWHP mark. It is a Auto logic chip. If the Focus pumps max out while he is trying to tune it I am f***ed because he will not be able to tune it for a long time after. What do you think??? Thanks as always.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Let's be honest, there are probably only 2 or 3 cars with above 650 hp SAE. You are treading on some new ground there. Most people tell me the BAP is useless BTW.

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
if you think you're gonna max out the pumps install the bap. i, and at least one or two others here, have maxed out the stock pumps w/ 55# injectors w/o the bap. set it to the lowest setting, hook up an autotap to watch the fuel pump duty cycle and fuel pressure, then have him start tuning. if it looks like the fuel pumps are getting maxed, turn the bap up as needed. i'm no tuner but doing things that way w/ my tuner works exceedingly well for me. wouldn't you rather have some breathing room instead of being on the edge? in my case, w/ the bap set at 5%, max fuel pump duty cycle has dropped to 89% and my a/f is rich at 10.7 on the big end. besides, it came free w/ the kit.

also, i recommend reading the kb tech forum to help clear up some issues.

edit: link fixed cuz dano pointed out i was a moron. :D

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by FuShnickens
if you think you're gonna max out the pumps install the bap. i, and at least one or two others here, have maxed out the stock pumps w/ 55# injectors w/o the bap. set it to the lowest setting, hook up an autotap to watch the fuel pump duty cycle and fuel pressure, then have him start tuning. if it looks like the fuel pumps are getting maxed, turn the bap up as needed. i'm no tuner but doing things that way w/ my tuner works exceedingly well for me. wouldn't you rather have some breathing room instead of being on the edge? in my case, w/ the bap set at 5%, max fuel pump duty cycle has dropped to 89% and my a/f is rich at 10.7 on the big end. besides, it came free w/ the kit.

also, i recommend reading the kb tech forum to help clear up some issues.
Dude, your link goes to BofA. :)

raiders03

Banned
sambandit

No I'm talking about Actual RWHP not SAE. I am pretty sure that is what I shpould be concerned with not SAE. I'm not trying to compare numbers here. Before my carr has even been tuned with 17 degrees of timing on 97 octane, it runs off the chart rich till 5000 RPM's where it starts to lean out. Someone will try to tune it tommorrow. With the 19 PSI pulley and longtubes I made 621 Actual RWHP and or 600 SAE. They expect at least 40 + more RWHP after advancing timing and rev to 6500 not 5000.

Last edited by a moderator:

raiders03

Banned
FuShnickens
I do not have stock pumps, i have focus pumps with 55's. I was wondering if I need the BAP with this setup with 660 RWHP. I think I will just have it installed incase I need it. There is just to much conflicting opinions on this issue.

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
sorry i didn't restate that - i knew you weren't using the stock pumps. :) my point was that it's an easy install and is cheap (read free if you bought it as a kit) insurance for "just in case". :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread