Follow-on woes...

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
To make this as short as possible I'm currently stationed in Korea and have a follow-on to Okinawa. Was excited about it at first but, just got info contradictory to some info I got before PCS'ing to Korea. Did some research and turns out the original thing I was told is false as hell.

So now I'm going through every scenario to see what will work the best. One of the options I'm looking at is pulling my voluntary status on my follow-on to get out of going to Oki and heading back CONUS. Anyone ever do this before and what was the process/result? I'm AF btw.

related note: Why is it so ****ing hard for finance, MPF, and TMO to give a straight correct answer? Bunch of ****ing twats

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
That sucks man. Hope everything works out for you.

I think finance can be a group **** ups because if they screw up no one can get killed. I don't think I've ever heard of someone in finance getting busted down for ****ing people out of pay.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
That sucks man. Hope everything works out for you.

I think finance can be a group **** ups because if they screw up no one can get killed. I don't think I've ever heard of someone in finance getting busted down for ****ing people out of pay.

Unfortunately this is true for a large amount of the AF. I feel like that’s why there are so many people that climb the later with knives in hand and backs as rungs.

Just curious but what's wrong with Oki? Is it the best duty station in the world? No- but it's far from the worst.

I would love to go there, the island sounds awesome (besides this current typhoon). But I was told that I would be able to ship my dogs there through AMC. Turns out the twat at TMO didn't know her asshole from her elbow or her job for that matter and I cannot ship two of them through AMC. I've been looking around and to even get them to Oki will cost me about $13,000. I simply cannot afford that. Not to mention my wife will have to put her schooling on hold and the gun situation. May sound dumb/selfish to some of you, but my dogs are my kids.

Last edited:

OU812

Established Member
The military will no longer ship animals on the AMC flights, it took effect about 3 months ago. A co-worker just paid $1500 to ship his 2 cats to Yokota.....I could see doing it for dogs, but cats....no way! As far as canceling your follow-on, a friend of mine did it leaving Korea. He was supposed to come to Yokota but after he found out that he couldn't live off base he changed his mind. He didn't get any choice going back CONUS and they stuck him at the lowest manned base for his rank and AFSC which ended up being Little Rock.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Unfortunately this is true for a large amount of the AF. I feel like that’s why there are so many people that climb the later with knives in hand and backs as rungs.

I would love to go there, the island sounds awesome (besides this current typhoon). But I was told that I would be able to ship my dogs there through AMC. Turns out the twat at TMO didn't know her asshole from her elbow or her job for that matter and I cannot ship two of them through AMC. I've been looking around and to even get them to Oki will cost me about $13,000. I simply cannot afford that. Not to mention my wife will have to put her schooling on hold and the gun situation. May sound dumb/selfish to some of you, but my dogs are my kids.

I get it..... that's crazy. United usually ships animals for less than $250 an animal. I just helped a SMAJ friend of mine PCS from here to Fla and it was no where NEAR 13k for his 1 dog and 1 cat. Not even a tenth of that. Where are you getting your quotes from?

Are you sure they didn't say 13000 YEN?

Last edited:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I get it..... that's crazy. United usually ships animals for less than $250 an animal. I just helped a SMAJ friend of mine PCS from here to Fla and it was no where NEAR 13k for his 1 dog and 1 cat. Not even a tenth of that. Where are you getting your quotes from?

Are you sure they didn't say 13000 YEN?

When United and Continental merged United caught hell for adopting Continental's pet policy. They quickly made an exception for military on PCS orders. IIRC like you said under $250 for pets including crate that weigh 99.99 pounds or less. If above that though they fall under cargo rules and it then becomes a fee plus pounds. For 2 (I have 3) of my dogs to meet airline standards I have to have custom crates made these will cost anywhere between 650-1000 dollars each. Then the plane tickets and boarding come into play. Plus not even 100% sure Ellie (the turd in my avatar) with her crate will be able to fit on some aircraft. It's just a huge ****ing mess and I hope they approve my cancellation, submitted it today.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
The military will no longer ship animals on the AMC flights, it took effect about 3 months ago. A co-worker just paid $1500 to ship his 2 cats to Yokota.....I could see doing it for dogs, but cats....no way! As far as canceling your follow-on, a friend of mine did it leaving Korea. He was supposed to come to Yokota but after he found out that he couldn't live off base he changed his mind. He didn't get any choice going back CONUS and they stuck him at the lowest manned base for his rank and AFSC which ended up being Little Rock.

WTF I just looked it up in AFI 24-101 which led me to DoD 4500.9-R and it said they would. The AFI was dated June of this year. If that is the case though I will have to ship all 3, FML. Here is to hoping for that cancellation.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I cannot answer your dilema about the pets. However, I went to Korea on a non-volunteer out of nowhere in 2007, was really trying to get get back to Alaska at the time via the regular assignment system and got popped with an non-vol. Applied for my follow on before I left and didnt get Alaska and ended up with a follow-on to Hill.

About 3 months in and alot of soul searching into my tour I decided to cancel my follow-on and re-apply for Alaska and roll the dice. I instantly got my Elmendorf assigment when the next overseas's cycle came out (there were jobs available however)

I have been told, and have experienced it 1st hand while in Korea that "remote returnee's" are top of the priority list when your setting at a remote tour and have no follow-on assignment. What does this mean? You should get your preference if that that preference is open....I cannot stress IF ITS OPEN. So weight your options... If your looking for an overseas assignment outa the Rock cancel it as soon as you get there because the DEROS windows for oversea's assignments are obviously alot more time sensitive vs CONUS slots.

I would say roll the dice but be prepared to get the shank if you end up somewhere you dont like as that is the nature of the beast. My answer was to get out and go Guard if I didnt get back Alaska, I had a plan, I would suggest you have one too. Also, use your SNCO's and Chief's to engage the functional's on assignment matters especially ones where the AFI was sold to you wrong. Have them call and check on nonavailability's etc... There is just some stuff it takes higher ranks to do unfortunately. In all honesty..... I'm a MSgt and I call the functional all the time for my guys if they are getting the run-around, if I dont like the answer I get hit-up my senior or Chief and let them have fun.

Last edited:

OU812

Established Member
I cannot answer your dilema about the pets. However, I went to Korea on a non-volunteer out of nowhere in 2007, was really trying to get get back to Alaska at the time via the regular assignment system and got popped with an non-vol. Applied for my follow on before I left and didnt get Alaska and ended up with a follow-on to Hill.

About 3 months in and alot of soul searching into my tour I decided to cancel my follow-on and re-apply for Alaska and roll the dice. I instantly got my Elmendorf assigment when the next overseas's cycle came out (there were jobs available however)

I have been told, and have experienced it 1st hand while in Korea that "remote returnee's" are top of the priority list when your setting at a remote tour and have no follow-on assignment. What does this mean? You should get your preference if that that preference is open....I cannot stress IF ITS OPEN. So weight your options... If your looking for an overseas assignment outa the Rock cancel it as soon as you get there because the DEROS windows for oversea's assignments are obviously alot more time sensitive vs CONUS slots.

I would say roll the dice but be prepared to get the shank if you end up somewhere you dont like as that is the nature of the beast. My answer was to get out and go Guard if I didnt get back Alaska, I had a plan, I would suggest you have one too. Also, use your SNCO's and Chief's to engage the functional's on assignment matters especially ones where the AFI was sold to you wrong. Have them call and check on nonavailability's etc... There is just some stuff it takes higher ranks to do unfortunately. In all honesty..... I'm a MSgt and I call the functional all the time for my guys if they are getting the run-around, if I dont like the answer I get hit-up my senior or Chief and let them have fun.

Man!! Your functional seems like he actually cares! My functional is a douche, he's not even in one of the 3 careers fields he's being a functional for. My assignment to Minot was canceled because I wasn't medically cleared for PRP, the notification was sent to him 2 Fridays ago. My flight chief called him on Wednesday of last week about trying to get me a new assignment since my departure date is Sep 1st and he pretty much gave us the runaround and the typical "needs of the AF" answer. So, now I'm fully out-processed and pretty much useless to my section with nowhere to go...lol

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member

Talk about luck and like OU says a good functional. That is one thing that kills me about vMPF and typing out justifications for applications. I know the functional is busy, but damn how I would prefer to talk to them when it comes to stuff like this. Thats awesome that you make the call for your guys. I'm not looking to go overseas because of the dogs. If it wasn't so damn expensive for them I would love to go to Kadena. So if this gets cancelled I will have to wait till mid October to see the Mandatory movers list and hope for the best.

Man!! Your functional seems like he actually cares! My functional is a douche, he's not even in one of the 3 careers fields he's being a functional for. My assignment to Minot was canceled because I wasn't medically cleared for PRP, the notification was sent to him 2 Fridays ago. My flight chief called him on Wednesday of last week about trying to get me a new assignment since my departure date is Sep 1st and he pretty much gave us the runaround and the typical "needs of the AF" answer. So, now I'm fully out-processed and pretty much useless to my section with nowhere to go...lol

:uh oh:Holy hell talk about limbo. What about all your TMO and other shit?

OU812

Established Member
Well, luckily they won't let you schedule your TMO pick up without orders or my stuff would be gone. I just got back from Hawaii and checked to see if I had an assignment and I still don't, I did get an email from the functional telling me that I would get a command preferred assignment as soon as my assignment is officially canceled....not really sure what that means though.

speedsun

Established Member
I'm trying to cancel my follow on too. Sounds almost as shitty as my situation. I have orders to Kunsan, submitted the request to cancel the other day. Found out my follow on isn't a great place to be after all...

Now here's the kicker, my afsc changed today. My dafsc, pafsc, and cafsc all changed to a Special Ops one. Can I even hold on to the orders to Kunsan seeing that there won't be a slot on the UMD there?

Basically we all got locked in AFSOC and now I'm waiting to hear. If I go I will still probably hold the afsoc cafsc and my dafsc will change. Then when it comes up for equal overseas returnee listing, I'll end up at Cannon or Hurlburt.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm trying to cancel my follow on too. Sounds almost as shitty as my situation. I have orders to Kunsan, submitted the request to cancel the other day. Found out my follow on isn't a great place to be after all...

Now here's the kicker, my afsc changed today. My dafsc, pafsc, and cafsc all changed to a Special Ops one. Can I even hold on to the orders to Kunsan seeing that there won't be a slot on the UMD there?

Basically we all got locked in AFSOC and now I'm waiting to hear. If I go I will still probably hold the afsoc cafsc and my dafsc will change. Then when it comes up for equal overseas returnee listing, I'll end up at Cannon or Hurlburt.

Holy crap man. I can't remember, you're a crew chief right? Did they give a completely new AFSC or is it just a shred out?

I don't think you'll lose the orders to Kunsan. They will still have you on the books as your old AFSC and that will become your DAFSC. Your CAFSC will be the deciding factor for the next assignment though :(

How the hell did you get locked into an AFSOC AFSC if you were not at Hurlburt or Cannon?

I've got a buddy down here that cross-trained into aerospace medicine and was in the career feild for over a year and then pulled back into his old AFSC (Ammo) for this assignment as a non vol. He'll go back to aerospace med.

Good luck man! Did you make Staff?

Last edited:

OU812

Established Member

That was another AFPC screw up.....imagine that! They put all you guys in a spec ops AFSC when it was only supposed to be the ones that are currently working AFSOC assets. They're making it where whatever airframe you're currently on is the only one you will work until you make TSgt then you can move around. Almost every maintenance career field is doing that now, my AFSC is one of the few that isn't really airframe specific though so my guys can still go anywhere.

More than likely your AFSC will change once you get to Kunsan, you'll get assigned to the tactical AFSC for whatever your career field is. When you PCS to your next base you'll only be able to work fighters so you'll only be able to go to fighter bases. Two of my really good friends got screwed in the deal, one was at Barksdale and the other was at Minot......needless to say they're both stuck in the bomber world until they can make tech.

speedsun

Established Member
I pushed for it and got Kunsan cancelled. I dont mind Ospreys so whatever. In a few years the shred letter will drop and we'll be able to work any jet in afsoc

I was non-vol'd for Korea so never wanted to go

speedsun

Established Member
Holy crap man. I can't remember, you're a crew chief right? Did they give a completely new AFSC or is it just a shred out?

I don't think you'll lose the orders to Kunsan. They will still have you on the books as your old AFSC and that will become your DAFSC. Your CAFSC will be the deciding factor for the next assignment though :(

How the hell did you get locked into an AFSOC AFSC if you were not at Hurlburt or Cannon?

I've got a buddy down here that cross-trained into aerospace medicine and was in the career feild for over a year and then pulled back into his old AFSC (Ammo) for this assignment as a non vol. He'll go back to aerospace med.

Good luck man! Did you make Staff?

I'm avionics but,

Basically the run down is my squadron submitted a 2906 and then all of my afsc's changed. I'm a 2a2 as cafsc,dafsc, and pafsc. I received no 2afsc. Had my flight chief talked to the chief functional and see if I could stay in afsoc since my info changed. Makes sense to not send a guy that has only work cv's his entire career to Korea. I have friends at Eglin that have never gotten Korea orders and they've been sitting on a cushy job with awesome tdy's and no deployments.

cuban

Established Member
i know this is old but somebody is feeding you false information. i shipped 3 boxers out of Yokota in april on the rotator. it was 110 for less than 70lbs and 220 for over 70lbs. now keep in mind for snub nose breeds they can only fly during certin season like oct thru may. and when you get to the states they go as cargo and charge alot of money. Air Canada still flies pets as checked baggage for cheap and they fly into narita. Okinawa is next on my list after turkey and i fully plan on bringing two dogs and a car with. But that doesn't really count since its Japanese anyway from when i was at yokota. Alot of people dont have a clue about what can and cannot be done in japan. if you have any questions your best bet for answers is to call one of the bases TMO or whatever org you need answers from. I sold my cobra cause they said i couldnt bring it and regretted it every day.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Spent 09-11 in area IV.....do miss it

Sent from my huge ass SAMSUNG NOTE using tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread