For Cars Built Prior To 09/01/06 Please Read!

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
I GOT THIS INFO FROM ANOTHER FORUM AND JUST WANTED TO PASS IT ALONG.

FORGIVE ME IF YOU ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THIS (COPY AND PASTE)

This just came out from ford.

6408 - 2007 SHELBY GT 500 MUSTANG - DRIVABILITY CONCERNS - AIR FILTER
SOME 2007 SHELBY GT 500 VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 09/01/2006 MAY EXPERIENCE DRIVABILITY CONCERNS INCLUDING: ROUGH IDLE, A SURGE AT LESS THAN 2000 RPM, A LACK OF POWER AND ERRATIC READINGS ON THE BOOST GAUGE. THIS ISSUE MAY OR MAY NOT FLAG A DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) IN THE POWER TRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM). THESE SYMPTOMS MAY BE DUE TO A QUALITY ISSUE WITH THE AIR FILTER ELEMENT. TO CORRECT THIS CONCERN, REPLACE THE AIR FILTER ELEMENT WITH PART NUMBER 7R3Z-9601-AA (MOTORCRAFT FA 1807).

Now here is a copy of my post regarding my car and the trouble I had with it today.

Thanks for the info on this, I would have freaked out if I did't read this post recently BECAUSE:

My car was built prior to 09/01/06 and I now have about 1800 miles on it.

I drove it to work yesterday (about 65 miles one way) and it drove absolutely unreal (as usual) and believe me, I DON"T BABY MY CAR !!!

On the way home from work this morning (worked a 24 hour shift) it ran fine until I got about 10 miles from home and all of a sudden it felt like my car was running on 5 or 6 cylinders, no warning lights came on, it was barely running and I thought it was going to die right there in the middle of the road.

Had I not read this thread I would have thought that my world was over for a while but not to worry, just an air filter huh (I hope so!)

I limped it home and parked it in the garage and it died right there without me even turning the key off.

So tomorrow I will drive (my F-350) to the Ford dealer and buy a air filter (if they even have one in stock) and slap it in and pray that when I start it all will be back to normal again!

Jeez you would think that after making cars, trucks and air filters for the last 100 years they would not have any more trouble with things like this.... unbelievable.

Anyway thanks for the post and I will update with the results as soon as I can get another filter and test drive it again.

On a side note: For those of us who will be changing over to an aftermarket CAI soon, you might want to consider still getting a new filter for your stock housing prior to taking it into the dealer for any warranty work since they may atribute some of any or all of your troubles to this air filter problem should you simply put the old filter back in prior to taking in the car (just a thought).

Anyone else experience any trouble like this due to the air filter?

(BELOW is from another post on same forum)

The explaination that was given to me was that the filter was causing turbulence in the airflow past the MAS, and the computer was interpreting this as a lean condition, when in fact it was not. We had found the spark plugs to be black, indication that it was overcompensating and running rich. I was able to put about 15 miles on the car after I had the filter changed, but it is parked now for the winter, so hopefully this fully cured the problem. I'll probably be replacing the filter with a CAI in the spring, but it is good to know that there are no other problems before I change over.

UPDATE: Local Ford Parts Dept: "No we don't carry that filter and we can't order one because we have to buy them in bulk and we don't want to get stuck with the rest of them." Have a nice day! Now I got a 07 GT500 sitting in my garage and I can't even run it!! ... WTF ???

Okay dealer parts dept. called me back and said that they are going to order the part for me but I have to wait a while for it to come in and my car is just there sitting collecting dust - BUMMER!

I should have made FORD pay for the tow (about 70 miles to the nearest dealer) and the air filter but I'm just such a nice guy - I'm gonna do it myself to save them some money (and avoid everyone and their mother test driving my car while it's at the dealer service dept.)

Oh yea, the filter is 58.** plus double freight (about 98.00 or so total to my island), I could've bought half an intake for that!

Last edited:

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
Update On Cause

JLT where's my carbon fiber intake?? Apparently Motorcraft parts are not up to par!

Last edited:

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
What no air filters for this car??

Ford dealer called back,

"Sorry sir we can't get a filter for this car. Our distributor doesn't stock them and our only option is to buy them from Ford but the problem is that we would have to buy 6 of them (in a pack) and my boss wont allow that since we would surely get stuck with 5 of them."

Well I'm not buying 6 of them I can tell you that for sure!

Can anybody help me find a filter for my car to get it running again??

THIS SUCKS!

I can see some nasty letters about to fly FORD's way REAL SOON!!!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Derek:

Sorry to hear of your problem. I hope you can get it figured out? If the car won't run, call Ford's road service line and have the damn thing flatbedded to the dealer and let them worry about it, not you!? Tell them you want a loaner too! :poke:

Good luck!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Derek:

Sorry to hear of your problem. I hope you can get it figured out? If the car won't run, call Ford's road service line and have the damn thing flatbedded to the dealer and let them worry about it, not you!? Tell them you want a loaner too! :poke:

Good luck!

Yea I thought about that but I don't want my car sitting out in the hot sun for a week or more on their lot with the possibility of door dings, scratches and everyone test driving it (without warming the engine first) after they finally figure out that it's just the air filter.

You can see my delima here Bruce, I like the idea of Ford having to pay for the tow and the mechanics time to fugure it out and fix it and the dealer's markup on the warranty work but I hate the thought of giving my car to anyone else for a week or two.

If it came back scratched or damaged or beatup I would surely lose it!

What are others to do when it's time to change the air filter on the car and nobody has or can get any?

R1Lello

Established Member
1BADGT500 said:
Ford dealer called back,

"Sorry sir we can't get a filter for this car. Our distributor doesn't stock them and our only option is to buy them from Ford but the problem is that we would have to buy 6 of them (in a pack) and my boss wont allow that since we would surely get stuck with 5 of them."

THIS SUCKS!

:read: Easy, buy the six, and return 5 of them. Restocking charge will be 10% but fight it afterwards.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
R1Lello said:
:read: Easy, buy the six, and return 5 of them. Restocking charge will be 10% but fight it afterwards.

Well, IMHO it could very well NOT be the air filter? My car was built before that. Dave's was too. Lot's of others also. I have not heard one single person having this problem? That's why I think it could very well be something else?

I understand the dilema about leaving the car with them but what if the air filter DOESN'T change the problem? Then what?

Good luck with it!

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
R1Lello said:

Yea but if I did that I would probably have nothing but trouble from them in the future everytime I wanted to order some parts or get my car serviced and I don't want to burn that bridge since they are the only Ford dealer on my island.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't like it too and I know they'd remember it so I'm gonna to have to start leaning on Ford much harder over the issue.

I already spoke to Ford's customer (non)service and they just brushed me off like I didn't know what I was talking about. (gave me the run around and tried to tell me that it's a Motorcraft part, not a Ford part so I need to deal with Motorcraft over the issue).

Then she told me "it's just a service bulletin and not a product recall" so Ford's position is to simply inform the customer of the problem and have them replace the filter should any problems arise.

Fine, no problem so where do I get a filter I asked... "At your local Ford dealer she says" (after I already told her that they won't buy 6 of em just to sell 1).

Then she told me "Why don't you simply order the part directly from Motorcraft?" - like they sell to individual customers.... stupid **** shouldn't be answering the phones for Ford if she doesn't have a clue!

I'm going to call some more dealerships tomorrow and see if I can find one and get it flown in.

Where's E-bay when I need them?? Nothing listed there either.

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Well, IMHO it could very well NOT be the air filter? My car was built before that. Dave's was too. Lot's of others also. I have not heard one single person having this problem? That's why I think it could very well be something else?

I understand the dilema about leaving the car with them but what if the air filter DOESN'T change the problem? Then what?

Good luck with it!

Thanks Bruce... I thought of that but I really want to try the filter first. I read on another site of others having the same symptoms as mine and it turned out to be the air filter.

If the filter doesn't do it then I guess I'll have it towed to the dealer.

Here's a copy of someone's post with similar problems...

Yes, my car had that same problem. Came off the truck running like crap, dealer wasn't sure what the problem was, suggested I run a couple of tanks of gas through it to see if it improved. Oh yeah, and told me to "drive it hard". Twist my arm. Anyway, it didn't improve, didn't drop any codes, the techs couldn't come up with anything. Ford customer service was great, called me daily to give me an update on what the engineers were coming up with in regards to the problem. They found a couple of other cars in the lower 48 that were having the same problem. They parked a good one next to a car having the rough idle, hesitation problem, and swapped air filters between them. The problem went with the air filter. They sent my dealer a new filter, dated 9-01, and installed it. I really didn't think that would be the fix the problem, but drove it away, and it was like a totally different car. The cutoff date on the filters was 8-14, I believe. Anything after that was good. Car now runs great, no problems. And no charge for the repair. I'm pretty happy with the support I had with the problem
The explaination that was given to me was that the filter was causing turbulence in the airflow past the MAS, and the computer was interpreting this as a lean condition, when in fact it was not. We had found the spark plugs to be black, indication that it was overcompensating and running rich. I was able to put about 15 miles on the car after I had the filter changed, but it is parked now for the winter, so hopefully this fully cured the problem. I'll probably be replacing the filter with a CAI in the spring, but it is good to know that there are no other problems before I change over.

Last edited:

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
man, you're handling this very well. i'd feel the same way about leaving my car on the lot, so they're pretty much leaving you no options. you spend all that $ on a vehicle to not have it run 100% and ford is being uncooperative. you've got to be kidding me. the dealership can't even help you by purchasing a few extra air filters? like i said earlier, you're handling it a hell of alot better than i would be. good luck to you though, i hope it is as simple as a filter replacement.

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
badsube said:
man, you're handling this very well. i'd feel the same way about leaving my car on the lot, so they're pretty much leaving you no options. you spend all that $ on a vehicle to not have it run 100% and ford is being uncooperative. you've got to be kidding me. the dealership can't even help you by purchasing a few extra air filters? like i said earlier, you're handling it a hell of alot better than i would be. good luck to you though, i hope it is as simple as a filter replacement.
Thanks badsube, I just got off the phone from the dealer that sold me the car and they say the same thing... if you want to buy 6 of them at 59.99 ea we will order them for you otherwise... SORRY!
Well Ford Customer Service is going to get an earfull everyday until they remedy this situation and believe me I'm not a nice person to deal with at this point.
Maybe I'll get to talk to DEE (#7300) again today. I yelled at her twice yesterday and boy she can be nasty!! I'm starting to enjoy this in a kind of twisted way (maybe I'm losing my mind).....
Lokout Ford, I'm going to go POSTAL SOON!!!!!!!! :mj:

jtfx6552

Established Member
1BADGT500 said:
Ford dealer called back,

THIS SUCKS!

Maybe they should use some of the $ from the ADM's people are paying and use it to keep parts for the car in stock??

Seriously, I'd take it in and let them figure out if is really the filter.

If it is, then they can figure out how to get one.

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
Did you try Steve? FORDSVTPARTS?
No I didn't (not familiar with him), can you steer me to a phone number? Thanks in advance.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
1BADGT500 said:
No I didn't (not familiar with him), can you steer me to a phone number? Thanks in advance.

1-800-328-9552 ask for Steve.

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
Sqeaky wheel gets the grease.

Okay I FINALLY got somewhere with Ford's Customer Service and the dealer where I purchased the car (after days of grueling and torturous phone calls).

Initially it was the same old story from Ginger as it was with Dee yesterday at F.C.S. .... I understand your situation sir, sir you have to go to the dealer to buy the filter sir , sir there is no other option for you sir ("maybe you can buy 6 and sell the other 5 she says blah blah blah ... or maybe you can explain the situation to the dealer and ask them for a discount since you have to buy 6 she says blah blah blah on and on and on) and I told her:

" That is not acceptable and I shouldn't have to do that. Listen, I got over 90,000 dollars worth of new FORD Mustangs in my garage and I'm not going to buy 6 filters for my car at 400.00 and FORD IS GOING TO REMEDY THIS SITUATION FOR ME AND I'M NOT GOING AWAY ... UNDERSTAND?!

"I'm not giving in and I will call you and everyone else there every single day over and over and over until I get this handled appropriately and you and I will become very well aquainted real soon.

Not only that I said but you will soon be getting calls from thousands of other unhappy GT500 owners trying to change out the air filter but cannot get one. I suggest that Ford look into this area of concern if they are serious about their New Bold Moves and about real Customer Relations!"

After speaking (and argueing) with Ginger at Ford's Customer Service 1-800 # (for about 40 minutes) she had someone else call the dealer where I bought my car and talked them into getting a filter for me. So 2 minutes after I hang up with Ginger the parts manager from the dealer where I bought the car calls and says they will bring in the air filter for me - not a problem. I guess they will eat the other 5.

I must say though that Ginger was much more pleasant than Dee was but even Ginger can get nasty when she wants to.

Simply unbelieveable what a guy has to go through nowadays just to get a huge corperate giant like Ford to resolve an issue like a 10.00 air filter for one of their loyal customers after spending 90.000.00 in the last two months (not to mention the F350 and Excursion which I also bought new recently).

I have to say that my concerns will definately be reflected on the customer satisfaction survey for which I will soon receive regarding my dealing with Ford's Customer Service (and lack thereof) over the past few days.

I pity you guys who want to stick with the Original Equipment (i.e. air filter) when it comes time to change them. Just be prepared for a major battle but remember as they say in the hotel industry -

THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!

Last edited:

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Derek:

Glad you've got it somewhat sorted out! :thumbsup:

Keep us posted with your progress!! :coolman:

I will, thanks Bruce.

Users who are viewing this thread