? for somebody who knows about ford rangers

svtjackal

OMG look at Olivia
Established Member
a coworker just bought a 94 ford ranger and he tells me that the engine is a 4 cylinder but has 8 sparkplugs and 2 distributors, he says that one distributor has 4 plug wires going to 4 sparkplugs to one side of the engine and the other distributor to 4 sparkplugs to the other side of the engine, so I guess it's a V4 engine:shrug:

so my question is if he is telling the truth and not some effects of a few too many, is this a ford production engine or maybe the previos owner swapped the engine for something else and if he swapped it what kind of a engine is that?, I have never seen a 4 cyl engine in V with 2 distributors and 8 sparkplugs

I have not seen it, he is going to bring the truck tomorrow and I'll snap a few pics

thanks for the help and sorry for the long post.:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Adam.L.

Established Member
If I recall correctly, the plugs on a 2.3L are situated at the edge of the chamber, nowhere near center. Placing 1 plug on each side of the chamber should result in a more complete burn.

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
I had that same engine in my 94 Ranger. The damn thing would NOT die!!
2.3L inline 4 cylinder.
2 plugs per cylinder.
2 coilpacks. (1 for eack set of plugs)
Distributorless Ignition System.

I think it was rated at 98 hp when brand new in 94.

When I had mine I was getting around 19 mpg in the city, and the truck had over 150K on the clock.

homer302

Banned
They used that engine up until and including 2000. It started out in the Pinto and was called the Lima 4. In 2001 they went to a Mazda mfgd. 2.3 with only 4 plugs. In 1999 and 2000 it was enlarged to a 2.5L but was a 2.3 before then. Everyone is right, 8 plugs, 2 coil packs no dizzi at all. the back 2 plugs rarely get changed. Usually you will find the others have been changed but the back 2 you really need to take the upper intake off to get at. I have done it without taking it off but very hard on the knuckles and time consuming. This engine was also in Fox body Mustangs at a whopping 88hp. They are practically indestructible. You can not tear one up.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
I know my Ranger had 8 spark plugs!!!! :banana:

Ranger1.jpg

Ranger2.jpg

AAG

Established Member
I always wanted to swap in a 5.0 in my ranger before I got rid of it. Would have made it much more fun to drive than the slow (but reliable) 3.0

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
I always wanted to swap in a 5.0 in my ranger before I got rid of it. Would have made it much more fun to drive than the slow (but reliable) 3.0

Yep! That is what came out of mine, 3.0. The 5.0 was a blast, T-5 with 355 gears. Great little courier truck, put 200,000 miles on a brand new crate motor workiing all around the Tampa Bay area from 1997-2000.

svtjackal

OMG look at Olivia
Established Member
soo, the 94's came with distributor or coil packs?

bacause this one has 2 distributors one down low and the other a bit higher than the other.

also what are the numbers on this Lil engine HP/TQ because the guy that sold it to him told him that this engine had more torque for easier towing. is that true?:??::shrug:

I drove it and it pulls hard, it only has 70000 miles

JasonSnake

Established Member
Yep! That is what came out of mine, 3.0. The 5.0 was a blast, T-5 with 355 gears. Great little courier truck, put 200,000 miles on a brand new crate motor workiing all around the Tampa Bay area from 1997-2000.

Why in the WORLD would you sell that?? I would have loved to ride in it! You're not too far either. My bro has a 04 (?) Edge and it needs a little umph. The V6 in it has no balls and the speed limiter kicks in at 90. I keep telling him to do the conversion sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread