For the AED nightowls

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I was gonna message shaun but I don't expect him to answer until tomorrow so thought I'd throw this out here. I got two tunes from him post data logging.

A Drag tune and a Performance tune.

I have only run the performance tune, but what is the big difference between the two in how they drive?

Local shop I have done dyno runs on before is doing cheaper dyno pulls in funding a kid to go overseas to compete in some sport, I don't 100% remember the details, but I heard cheaper dyno pulls and helping some kid make his dreams, sure good time to get a run done on the new AED tune post the terrible run I had on the Bama tune.

Would I find the car to run better in 5th from 2K-7600rpm on the drag tune I would assume? Or the performance?

I generally drive a lot of windy roads when I am not stuck on the highway so I just made the assumption the performance tune was better for me for a DD.

If no one is 100% i'll just wait until I can talk with shaun tomorrow. They just might get me in tomorrow for the dyno run and I was hoping to have an answer before that happens.

clean92lx

Established Member
both tunes are the same. The only difference is the drag tune turns all the nannies off automatically

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
both tunes are the same. The only difference is the drag tune turns all the nannies off automatically

ahhhh nice. Ok that is good to hear. I'll definitely not run that one as we get a lot of rain here :D.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was confused cause I thought I only got one tune haha.

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
I asked Shaun same question about differences and he said they are same tune just RACE tune turns off all traction controls and other aids.

burke985

Established Member
Drag tune is exactly the same as the performance tune with these exceptions:
1. Traction control and Advance trac are disabled (expect a christmas tree of warning lights as well as ABS, however ABS is fully functional)
2. Torque managment changes that hold RPM's for 1 second between gears allowing 'crisper' gear changes when speed shifting

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I asked Shaun same question about differences and he said they are same tune just RACE tune turns off all traction controls and other aids.

Thanks!

Drag tune is exactly the same as the performance tune with these exceptions:
1. Traction control and Advance trac are disabled (expect a christmas tree of warning lights as well as ABS, however ABS is fully functional)
2. Torque managment changes that hold RPM's for 1 second between gears allowing 'crisper' gear changes when speed shifting

Ahh that would be the real benefit. I definitly don't need that on the road. That makes it worth running at the track. Turning off the nannies is one thing since I can do that manually, but holding the rpms for a second is awesome!

I am loving this tune. Shaun is a tuning God. I really never thought the car could ever drive this smooth and without the major surging and other issues I have had. I just cannot recommend Bama tunes again after how amazing these tunes are.

:beer: to Shaun and everyone for answering me so prompt :D

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
While the AED nightowls are in, I have a question as well. I'm having a local shop install all my parts (headers, h-pipe, catback and intake) to get a stock baseline and an after dyno pull. They will also be doing the data logs for Shaun, for me. After the parts are on and the tune from AED is on can I take the car home with no issues. Or do I have to wait for Shaun to reply from the data logs and give me the green light to drive my car home?

Long story short: After I install the tune and email the data logs to Shaun, can I drive home with the car or do I need a follow up email from Shaun saying everything is normal?

Thanks guys! I'm in the final stages of getting all my parts and booking an appointment at the end of the month. Cant wait to see how the car runs!

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
While the AED nightowls are in, I have a question as well. I'm having a local shop install all my parts (headers, h-pipe, catback and intake) to get a stock baseline and an after dyno pull. They will also be doing the data logs for Shaun, for me. After the parts are on and the tune from AED is on can I take the car home with no issues. Or do I have to wait for Shaun to reply from the data logs and give me the green light to drive my car home?

Long story short: After I install the tune and email the data logs to Shaun, can I drive home with the car or do I need a follow up email from Shaun saying everything is normal?

Thanks guys! I'm in the final stages of getting all my parts and booking an appointment at the end of the month. Cant wait to see how the car runs!

Well sounds like you'd have a base map tune from shaun to do the data logging with, obviously? So you should be able to drive home on that without an issue. I drove a little over a day on the base map, which he says is real conservative before getting a chance to datalog. I then got those off to him and he had the revised tunes the next day which are far more powerful.

I also just realized I need to change my sig!

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Well sounds like you'd have a base map tune from shaun to do the data logging with, obviously? So you should be able to drive home on that without an issue. I drove a little over a day on the base map, which he says is real conservative before getting a chance to datalog. I then got those off to him and he had the revised tunes the next day which are far more powerful.

I also just realized I need to change my sig!

Yeah I got a base tune for all my mods. How did you receive the revised tune from him after sending the data logs. The other main reason why I'm having a shop data log is because I dont have a working laptop at the moment. Also is it safe to do WOT pulls with the base tune? Looks like I'll have 3 dyno sheets ater everything is squared away. Baseline, bolt-ons and bolt-ons with tune :rockon:

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Yeah I got a base tune for all my mods. How did you receive the revised tune from him after sending the data logs. The other main reason why I'm having a shop data log is because I dont have a working laptop at the moment. Also is it safe to do WOT pulls with the base tune? Looks like I'll have 3 dyno sheets ater everything is squared away. Baseline, bolt-ons and bolt-ons with tune :rockon:

It just came the same way, in a .zip file that had the drag and performance tunes in it. Loaded it on the tuner done.

I did the 2K-7K pull in 3rd gear in the street, 5th if on a dyno and MT, 4th if auto. I did them on the base tune like he asked. Didn't hurt anything.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
It just came the same way, in a .zip file that had the drag and performance tunes in it. Loaded it on the tuner done.

I did the 2K-7K pull in 3rd gear in the street, 5th if on a dyno and MT, 4th if auto. I did them on the base tune like he asked. Didn't hurt anything.

Last question I promise lol

Since the revised tune will be emailed to me and downloaded onto the SCT/transferred to the car. Whats the point of the SCT livelink that is on SCT's website? Is there any point of having that software or laptop?

Thanks again man!

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Last question I promise lol

Since the revised tune will be emailed to me and downloaded onto the SCT/transferred to the car. Whats the point of the SCT livelink that is on SCT's website? Is there any point of having that software or laptop?

Thanks again man!

well the livelink is really just used for datalogging and needs to be run on a laptop obviously to run it while plugged into the car while driving on the road.

Assuming you don't need to datalog again after the ones on the basemap are completed you won't need to run this software.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Correct, when your tuner says the tune is done...no more revisions, you have no need for Livelink again until you change something that requires a new tune.

Users who are viewing this thread