? for the tuning Gods

Jgruggs

Established Member
Having a stage 4 port done. Ran a base line dyno to see where my numbers are at before install so I can see exactly how much I gain from the port. The guy that ran the dyno checked my A/F and timing also just to see where they were. My timing came back at 22 to 23 degrees. This is what I was told was a "safe" tune back in 03 when I put the 2.8 pulley, Magnaflow catback with X pipe, K&N cold air kit and a SCT tune. My question is this: The guy at the dyno pull told me that wasn't a safe tune, more like a race tune. Asked if I run race gas...never have. Said he wouldn't have let me run that much timing. Now I'm getting conflicting ideas on this...the company doing the port says I should run around 23 degrees timing ...on pump gas. Where should my timing be for a 2.8 pulley...no race gas...not a D.D. and sees little track time...but I like to play on the street. What are most of you running as far as timing? Thanks in advance.

Jgruggs

Established Member
Thanks for the reply Sambandit. Just another quick ? Does it matter if you change the lower pulley, I'm thinkin it won't matter but don't really know that much. Just tryin to educate myself.

Jgruggs

Established Member
My A/F was 12. I had some spark blow-out at about 4500-4800 rpm ...if I remember right...gonna change plugs before I reinstall the ported blower. I'm thinkin right now of having him set my timing at 22 , with my A/F staying at 12 and I should have a safe, strong tune. What do you think? I'm also installing an Afco H/E at this time.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
Rick likes to have the AF in the mid 11s..if your timing is 23 then you should not have 12s AF..do you have data from the dyno runs for a tuner to look at?

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
you will need that aftermarket HE with a ported Eaton..if not the engine temp will cause the programing to pull timing and your performance will suffer

Jgruggs

Established Member
No, all I got a copy of is the hp and torque, but he did save all the info. for us to go back and tune after the blower install. At least I did good by going ahead and getting the H/E. I'll be sure and remember this and question the tuner on the A/F numbers. I'll also get copys of everything that he does so I can ask more informed questions and provide better feedback. Thanks

Jgruggs

Established Member
Close enough that if you can get me some dates, I'll plan a road trip. Never hurt to have an expert look her over. Plus , Austin in March = great time! Thanks for replying. Johnny

Users who are viewing this thread