For those of us who live in California......why don't we leave?

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
I've been trying to move out of CA for the last two years. Actually turned down the last job offer because I just got a promotion and a substantial raise at my current job. Had an interview in TX last month, and it won't be too much of a pay cut so hopefully it works out and I can move. If not it's back to the drawing board.
As much as I hate CA I love the city I live in (also right next to downtown bars), have a cool house with an awesome roommate, hit the lotto on rent (paying way under market), and with my current salary I can save a lot more than if I moved back east which is where my last job offer was.
I know I'll get out someday, but I don't want my quality of life to drop a ton just to not live in CA, where for at least the next two years I'll have it made.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I wont let politics decide where I live my life. Unless it gets to the point where I cannot live reasonably or there is not opportunity. But even then, sure, most home prices are cheaper in other places but there's other expenses. My buddy in TX pays twice in property taxes than my most baller Californian buddy does for a house 3x the value. Then he pays for toll roads to get to and from work. That shit adds up.

There's some people that just tolerate where they live because its cheap or that's all they know, and that's fine. I wont be one of those people. I LOVE where I live, its made me a better person and happier person living here in SD honestly. Sure, its expensive and we dont have much, I have slow cars and a smaller place, but im happier now than I was when I had fast cars and a big place, and I blame that all on being in a better/nicer place. I see gorgeous mountains every day, great vistas and scenery, nice flowing roads (no straight lines!) and nice/newer/modern architecture everywhere, and the ****ing food options, holy shit. Legit Korean BBQ, Thai, Indian, insane sushi, etc. all within minutes drive. My latest love is a Hawaiian place that serves bomb ass tuna poke and spam musubi. If I moved, it would be to like TX thats farther from the urban areas, but I doubt I would be as happy as I am now for lack of the above. I've been to alot of places, and none of them give me the feeling of when I land in SD and take that first breath and feel nice 74* temps with a slight breeze and seagulls squaking.

The only con for CA is cost of living (derived from poor politics). We make decent money, so that's not necessarily a con for us. The cons of living anywhere else, are more substantial than the pro's. Lack of scenery, lack of good weather, lack of nice places/food in close proximity, etc. Being able to afford a $200k 2k-sf house easily doesnt sound as enticing knowing that we would need to drive 30+min to do anything "fun" for those parts of the country, and even then, its nothing compared to stuff we do here. Yeah, it better be a nice ass place, cause we would be there ALOT, and right now, thats not what we are looking for in life.

Plus knowing my luck, id move and all of a sudden CA would turn Red like the 70's-80's, wages would jump, values become reasonable. There's a really big anti-liberal movement starting here, especially with Brown's recent legislation, worthless bullet-train plans and stagnant wages.

We do pay more in property tax but it is way more than offset by no state income tax, property values, gas prices, and general cost of living expenses. We do not have a moderate climate though. Winters are glorious though it's not always hot.

Stanger00

Established Member
Family, weather, location and it's where I wanted to live, again.

I lived in a few states while in the Air Force and I was pretty close to rooting myself in AZ but ended up moving back home to the Bay Area in 2011 and have been here since.

The politics don't align with my beliefs and my wife and I are discussing using our wages to boost our retirement accounts and use that money to live in a cheaper state that has more conservative views when it's time to stop working.

I like that Brown is ruining his legacy son from catching a victory at becoming his successor due to his poor judgment with allocating so much money for a bullet train instead of key infrastructure repairs and upgrades.

I wish the Republican Party had a better candidate to carry the torch but whoever it ends up being will get my vote regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
We do pay more in property tax but it is way more than offset by no state income tax, property values, gas prices, and general cost of living expenses. We do not have a moderate climate though. Winters are glorious though it's not always hot.

Yeah I cant do the heat anymore. Its 85* right now where im at for work (Escondido, north of SD and inland a bit more) and I went to lunch and im ****ing dying. My buddy in Fate was showing me it was like 103 last week. Nope. Cant do it. Got too accustomed to SD weather now, even when I go visit family up in norcal its ****ing death.

Actually recently now its been really humid in SD. Were like "if it gets hotter/more humid its time to move to wherever was like this climate decades ago!"

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member

I do love being back in Arizona, Ive got a great job at a great dealership and have been able to kind of get my shit together. The weather is hot, but its monsoon season and I love the rain and lightning! Girls are pretty, gas is cheap and the gun and car laws are simply awesome.

Though, the idea of a move to Texas in the future, possibly the San Antonia area, really has been on my mind. Hmm... sounds like a road trip is in order.. :D

nxhappy

Established Member
Yeah I cant do the heat anymore. Its 85* right now where im at for work (Escondido, north of SD and inland a bit more) and I went to lunch and im ****ing dying. My buddy in Fate was showing me it was like 103 last week. Nope. Cant do it. Got too accustomed to SD weather now, even when I go visit family up in norcal its ****ing death.

Actually recently now its been really humid in SD. Were like "if it gets hotter/more humid its time to move to wherever was like this climate decades ago!"
dude where the flying **** did u run off to ?

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
The ONLY reason I'm in Cali is because my job is based there. That's it. And I prefer deploying to the sandbox and getting shot at rather than actually stay in Cali for the entire time. Once I quit this job, I'm out of California like a fat kid in dodgeball.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like a version of "Battered Wife Syndrome"

Users who are viewing this thread