For those thinking VMP TVS

Jinkx

Established Member
Hello first post.
I own a 2012 Ford Shelby and wanted to talk a bit about her and what I've done or had done.

As I'm sure we all do I was dreaming of upgrading my blower and after exstensuve studying on all brands and types. Reading reviews.
I purchased the VMP TVS Gen2-R plus there boost a pump and dual fan heat exchanger.

So Why the VMP---first off this is a true street car. I've raced cars and bikes for years and simply do not want to go that route anymore. I truly enjoy cruising around, with good music on and the occ playing from a light or a roll. Yes American Graffitt is my favorite movie lol.
I swear this car is a magnet for that crazy!
This fireman is having way to much fun at 47.
So for a true street car IMO the TVS simply can't be beat. I bought the 820hp kit. Got it all installed and of course the tune too. It was spot on!!!!
Took her to the dyno and with an outside temp of 97 degrees and 60% humidity she made 664 at 6800 rpm and 661 at 3400 rpm.
Here's the thing it made 661 ft lbs at 2400 rpm. To the tires.
Air/Fuel 11.2 totally safe!
The line went straight up then went horizontal straight accross until 5250 were it finally started to drop off very slowly.
Per my Dyno guy a twin turbo will never do that. Yes turbos are wicked not bad mouthing them one bit just explaining how the VMP TVS works.

The second reason is let's be honest we're is 90% of our driving done on the street from 2500 to 5000 and the VMP is perfect for this. Heck the car pulled to 7000 without issue or laying over.

The third reason I simply don't want to have to put a motor in this car anytime soon. I've read the stock long block is good for 750 to 800 horsepower and 7000 rpm. I fig I'm right at 800 with drivetrain loss so I simply don't want anymore. Well I do lol but my wallet doesn't!

The fourth and final reason is simply traction. I've learned from years of racing that weight and suspension means everything. Giving me a lighter car with less power then a heavier one with more power any day of the week. You will not break as many parts. If your car is lighter.
But yes traction-----my car is a handful as it sits now. Anymore power would require exspensive suspension upgrades and with that comes less streetability. Harsh suspension,rattles creeks groans and a rough ride. Simply not for me anymore.
I can take the wife for some ice cream, the A/C on and 38special jamming lol
But yet hang with 95% of the cars out there.
Just my opinion wich means nothing but I hope this helps with the people trying to decide what to buy.

How does it drive
It flat out pulls in any gear and rpm.
First and second you better have some game and good tires. Still a handful no matter what. Third u get sideways but she does smooth out and 4th flat out gets it but I'm usually getting out of it by then.

My mods
Steeds suspension front and back
Stock 3.73 gears SVT package
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires love them and for the price perfect
Kooks headers and O/R X pipe
GT500 mufflers yes it's very loud on the throttle
JLT intake 123
Twin 67 throttle body's
Basically VMPs complete kit
To be able to have a kit install so easy
Plug n Play connectors and a tune that is almost perfect from the mail is simply incredible
I use 93 octane

Thanks for letting me talk about my pride and joy. The wife only allows me to go half throttle lol but she loves it!!!!
The here Kitty Kitty from her mouth when she sees a Hellcat makes me smile. I'm like a little kid again.
What an amazing car and Blower!
Take care and be safe it's a crazy world out there but we can pack in Texas Sorry so long

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Great post man, I also love my '14 withGen 2R.
I run those Indy 500s on my spare Hellcat wheels, they are a great buy but to really enjoy that new power I'd recommend Nitto 555R DRs for the GT500 rear wheels.
Enjoy!
-J

Jinkx

Established Member
Ok great was looking at those
I appreciate the recommendation
Hellcat too oh wow beautiful car enjoy

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
305/35/20 Nitto NT555Rs
Keep rest of suspension stock.
Don't wait for other opinions, just throw them on and enjoy.
I run those full time on my Hellcat Charger.
-J

Jinkx

Established Member
Ok perfect that's what I needed thank u
Are you running those on the stock 9.5 inch rim?
I've read we're several have

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I have and trust me they fit the 9.5 fine, don't research it too much, just buy them and thank me later.
You haven't even started to enjoy the power with spinning the Firestones compared to the 555Rs.
Good luck.
-J

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
what exactly did ur Dyno guy tell you that the Turbo will never do? do what exactly?

it sounds as tho ur tuner was telling you the Turbo would not make power then flatten out which is true. the Turbo will continue to climb where the blower flattens out. Thats not an advantage.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
what exactly did ur Dyno guy tell you that the Turbo will never do? do what exactly?

it sounds as tho ur tuner was telling you the Turbo would not make power then flatten out which is true. the Turbo will continue to climb where the blower flattens out. Thats not an advantage.
He's probably speaking to the low end torque advantage of the TVS compared to the turbo.
In auto engineering speak the time to torque response of the TVS does have advantages for street fun.
I agree with you that turbo also has its advantages, but my GT500 and many guys here like jinkx want the TVS response for street fun.
It's amazing what you can order in a package anymore, the power is the 'easy' part.
-J

Jinkx

Established Member
Yes sir that's what I meant the low end torque at 2400 rpm 651 with 661 peak at 3400
My tuner was just saying the low end and flat torque curve is not seen very often.
For a true street car high RPM power or big rear ended gears Is not as fun to drive around on.
I was happy I made power to 7000. So for me that's perfect. It leveled at 6800 so I'm not leaving much on the table if that makes sense for how tge blower is pulled. Approx 18 lbs boost.

Again nothing bad to say about turbos at all just referencing the differant power adder options and how the come on. I have stock crank pulley and stock cams and not using E85 so there is power left but that coukd exceed what my stock motor can hold.
So for my setup this is perfect.
If I wanted the most power and had the motor to back it up then a 4.0 blower or turbo most definetly!!!!
Take care

11SVTPP

Established Member
Thanks for posting up. I'm researching blower upgrades and posts like your really help.

Do you have any trouble with heat soak? Any chance of posting up your dyno runs and include IAT2 with any cool down between runs?

Thanks BLX for the tip on the 555r's. My ride is a spinfest on F1's. 1/2 throttle at 60mph and the tires let go.

Jinkx

Established Member
Sorry I don't have my IATs but when I bought my blower I also bought VMP triple bypass heat exchanger. Added 700.00 to the price but it was highly recommended by Justin at VMP even before the blower upgrade. It's much larger then the stock one and had dual electric fans.
I can tell you from driving it on 100 degree days that I've never had any heat soak issues as the power has always been there when I push the loud pedal.
Tires oh my yes get tires. The Firestones we good but in 1st and Second it was getting scary. In there defense with 661 ft lbs of torque any tire is struggling. The nittos are better but one even better then those fir me atleast are the Toyo R555R
What an amazing tire. Feels like my car has another 200 hp due to better traction
Since this article I've added a 10% OD crank pulley and made 777 HP
And 725 ft lbs of torque. So the ATI crank pulley picked me up 103 hp.

Here is were VMP shines. I ordered the crank pulley from Justin and he checked my tune on file and said I was ok no change was needed. Shows how conservative he's Tune is and I she still made 664 hp initially before crank pulley. I use a 2.4 upper. I am maxed out on pump gas. I would need to run E85 or race gas going forward. Could I make more power with a bigger blower yes most definitely but remember I'm on a stock motor so to make 1000 hp with my set up would lead to motor failure and I simply cannot afford that.
My drivability is spot on. I through one check eng light for an 02 sensor but that's it no other issues. I could drive across country with this car.
The VMP TVS 2.3R will scare you if you don't have good tires. Breaking the tires loose in 3rd gear at 100 mph gets your attention!
So many great choices out there but u def can't go wrong with the VMP.
Remember the install is only the start. Who's going to help you after that if you have any problems or questions and that's we're VMP shines. Talk to Justin

Jinkx

Established Member
Wanted to add that the VMP TVS doesn't compress the air in the supercharger itself like a twin screw does. The air comes out of the blower and through the cooler (heat exchanger) that sits under the supercharger then into the intake were its pressurized. Again both types of blowers work great it's just how the air is pressurized that's different. My Dyno pulls we're back to back. 2 of them. Car was driven 30 min there in 97 degree heat. I'm in Texas. It was then strapoed down on the Dyno and fired back up. Took 10 min for that.
While on the dyno the Car was never shut off and no fan was used in front of the car. Made 633 at 6200 then 664 at 6800 rpm. Back to back pulls.
Air/fuel ratios were great so we stopped there.

Jinkx

Established Member
So it's not confusing to u. The heat exchanger I replaced sits in front of the radiator. What's under the blower I believe is considered the intercooler but it's all part of the same system. Coolant is cooled in heat exchanger then goes through the inter cooler witch looks like a small radiator that's under the blower cooling it. So when the air from the blower goes through that it is cooled. That's how I understand it works.
The VMP heat exchanger is beautiful. High quality part. The fans are not cycled they run whenever the motor runs and I like that it's that way.

11SVTPP

Established Member
Thanks for the replies! I'm in the same boat as you. I want to be able to drive my car anywhere. I don't mind spending the money, I just want to do it one time.

WOW, over 100hp by just adding the lower crank!! And 777 at the wheels and no heat soak. I am impressed!

I've read where the HE needs upgrading and its on the short list!

Any chance of looking at your IAT2 with one of the phone apps? I've been using Forscan ($6-$8 iirc) on a Tab4 with an ELM 327 MX blue tooth adapter. Its amazing how many sensors on these cars!

Heat is a concern because I am going to run on a road coarse a few times a year.

Interesting that your in Texas. I bought this car out of Lubbock, TX a few weeks ago. I've always wanted a Shelby and now I have it!!

Thanks again!

Jinkx

Established Member
I may look into something very similar
It's a new gauge that reads boost,IAT and air fuel. It's new this year. My tuner just told me about it.
Until then all I can say is I've had no heat soak issues
Of all the systems out there I can honestly say this one runs cool. I'm not going to say anything neg on other systems. I can tell you after a full Dyno pull I can put my hand on my blower without any issues. Old school yes but I have a friend who has a diff brand and when I did the same on his after a Dyno pull it was very hot.
We were all at a Dyno days shoot out.
They ran Shelby,hellcats,vets and a few Amaris that day. The Shelby did very very well. I recommend you call VMP and talk to them. There very straight forward as what to expect. Don't get caught up in the bigger blower wars. It will drive you crazy! The new Camaro ZL1 is rated at 650 hp. Thats with a 1.7 blower size lol yes crazy right.
I didn't have to cut the firewall to make it fit or change my hood. It truly was a true bolt on. I have zero belt align issues and zero slip.
It's those hidden things that can drive you crazy.
Trust me you don't want to hurt the motor on these Gt500s. Unless you have and extra 12000 to 17000 to rebuild one. Seriously look at what it costs when things go south. It's very exspensive. Good luck!

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
hard to beat a VMP supercharger. they just have their shit down with countless PROVEN cars to say so.....

if I was going blower hands down it would be VMP. nice to see their offering a heat exchanger that actually does something! nice TQ numbers to! sounds like a beast on the street!

Jinkx

Established Member
Just an oppinion
I was told and I believe with E85 I can make 900 hp to the wheels. Brother be honest with yourself. Yes bigger blowers make more power on top end but how much power do u need.
Remember we have street cars and if there not reliable,need special fuel or have zero traction then there no longer fun. Plus some of these cars today are making over 1000 hp. So that means new and heavy duty clutches, transmissions and suspension.
I totally respect cars making that kind of power but it's not as easy as it is right now by just swapping the supercharger and keeping the power to the wheels at 600 to 800. There is a point we're you cross that line I've been there.
Raced cars and bikes for years. I've had the most fun with this car keeping it streetable. My tires don't rub,my air is cold and I can actually hear my stereo when my foot is off the gas and I have no squeaks or rattles lol. I'm just speaking for me to each his own. But I'm happy and U sound a lot like me and what u want with your Shelby.

Users who are viewing this thread