Ford ESP Warranty

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
My wife and I are picking up a new 2013 Edge tonight. We are turning down all items they try to sell along with the car like the maintenance package, gap, ect. The only thing we do want to get is the extended warranty. Her Edge will have My Ford Touch so that alone is enough of a reason to want to extend the coverage with all of the issues that come along with MFT. The dealer price is around 1700 for a 7 yr/60k warranty. I have been looking into buying one online through one of these sites below who say they are offering the genuine Ford ESP. They are significantly cheaper than what the dealer is offering. Is it true you can buy a warranty from any dealer on a new vehicle? Has anybody bought one of these through any of these sites or a similar site? What has your experience been with it?

www.lombardfordwarrantys.com
www.floodfordesp.com/‎
www.troy-ford-extended-warranty.com

only a gt

Established Member
I work at a dealer, and IMO don't bother with an ESP. My boss is the owner, and he doesn't ever sell them even though we would make a good amount of money. When people ask about getting one he tells them to take the 1700 or however much you are planning on paying for it and put that money in a savings account. That way if by some remote chance you do have an issue you have money set aside for it, but if not then you still have your money.

jcthorne

Established Member
I disagree. The Ford ESP plan is well run and all dealers easily accept it. I recommend adding the first day rental coverage option. It does not cost much but any time the car needs service, they give you a rental. Right then.

Yes you can buy from any dealer but what I found works best is to print out the quote from the online site and take it with you. The finance guy will likely discount the plan to the same price rather than loose all profit potential by you buying it elsewhere. Has worked for me several times.

Lastly, DO NOT buy any aftermarket warranty package. Ford ESP ONLY.

Equalbracket

Established Member
Buy an extended when the factory warranty runs out, 7 years? You plan on keeping it that long? Edit: 7 years, 60k...hmm.

Last edited:

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
I disagree. The Ford ESP plan is well run and all dealers easily accept it. I recommend adding the first day rental coverage option. It does not cost much but any time the car needs service, they give you a rental. Right then.

Yes you can buy from any dealer but what I found works best is to print out the quote from the online site and take it with you. The finance guy will likely discount the plan to the same price rather than loose all profit potential by you buying it elsewhere. Has worked for me several times.

Lastly, DO NOT buy any aftermarket warranty package. Ford ESP ONLY.

This is what I was leaning towards doing. Does the warranty have to be purchased at time of delivery? We are getting 0 percent financing through Ford Credit so they want to factor the cost of the agreement into the loan which is fine. My issue is if I can't get them to price match tonight, I don't want to be handcuffed into their higher priced package before having an option to buy one online after we leave the dealer with paperwork finalized and the car in hand.

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
Buy an extended when the factory warranty runs out, 7 years? You plan on keeping it that long? Edit: 7 years, 60k...hmm.

It will be 7 total years from today. It will be my wife's primary car and she hardly racks up any miles. We will be keeping it for a long time, we don't just burn through cars every few years.

CAMMD97GT

Build in Progress
Established Member
Nice! Congrats on the new vehicle! My girl friend really wants an Edge, but we'll probably be getting an older used one. The Ford ESP seems like it would be worth it, considering how much can be covered by it. Hopefully you wont need it though, the Edge is a reliable vehicle!

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
Nice! Congrats on the new vehicle! My girl friend really wants an Edge, but we'll probably be getting an older used one. The Ford ESP seems like it would be worth it, considering how much can be covered by it. Hopefully you wont need it though, the Edge is a reliable vehicle!

Thanks! We are really looking forward to it. I liked it a lot after the test drive and getting a good look at it.

oldmodman

Established Member
Are you feeling lucky?

Well, are you buying a Ford?

Last vehicle I had the warranty on (my 2003 Cobra) it was never needed.

But the one before that (my 1992 Explorer) the warranty paid for itself over and over. Three new transmissions, center diff clutch, seat motor, water pump, radiator, master cylinder, and many more. But after the stuff was all replaced it has been trouble free up to today. 21 years.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
We bought my wife a a '13 Edge Limited 2.0EB in May last year. It's been a solid car so far, and I haven't needed to take it in. However, there is a TSB out for a brake diaphragm that can become ripped, and a recall is being issued for a leaky fuel line. So heads up on those, especially if you get the 2.0 ecoboost like we did.

I did not get the ESP warranty, but I'm considering it before the first year of ownership. We don't go through cars quickly and even though I'm handy and can do most things myself, piece of mind is worth something.

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
We bought my wife a a '13 Edge Limited 2.0EB in May last year. It's been a solid car so far, and I haven't needed to take it in. However, there is a TSB out for a brake diaphragm that can become ripped, and a recall is being issued for a leaky fuel line. So heads up on those, especially if you get the 2.0 ecoboost like we did.

I did not get the ESP warranty, but I'm considering it before the first year of ownership. We don't go through cars quickly and even though I'm handy and can do most things myself, piece of mind is worth something.

Thanks for the heads up on those items, I was not aware of them. Ours is an AWD SEL with the 3.5L V6. Hopefully we don't run into those issues.

Users who are viewing this thread