Ford EV Frustration

Do you like how Ford is forcing dealers to advertise EVs at MSRP?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • Ford should limit to advertising at or BELOW MSRP

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I would opt out of Ford’s EV Program all together. Seems a shitty return on your investment, from a dealer standpoint, when you have to invest in certifications and infrastructure. Especially when you can’t recoup that investment by setting your own prices.

02reaper

Established Member
What was your reasoning to buy one?
It's powerful, its quiet, it does everything my gasoline vehicle did. In some ways better, In some ways worse. I was ready for something different and I just fell in love with the concept. I live out in the deep country, I charge mostly at home. It's not for everyone, but It works for me.

02reaper

Established Member
Did you seriously compare a 275 fuel tote to trailering a 4000lbs car on a 1000+lbs trailer??

Do the math on how long it would take you to tow a 2020 GT500 1900miles. How many stops, for a 1900 mile trip. You’ll be going over the mountains in this one. Good luck. See you in 2024.
It would definitely take me a long time. I wouldn't want to do it in a gasoline vehicle either. We travel about 425 miles one way on vacation twice a year and with a wife and kid, that 7 hour trip turns into a 10 hour trip with all the pit stops.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
This is one of the things that pisses me off to no end when trying to find a c8 z06... these dealers list them all at MSRP or some bullshit then come to find out they want 75k over or the damn car has already been sold and will try and sell you some shitty c8 they have sitting around.

I hate dealerships so much for pulling this shit, as well as the manufacturers for allowing it to happen.

02reaper

Established Member
Electric vehicles are limited to commuter cars. Some people make them work for road trips, but the vast majority of people don't want to wait 30 minutes to an hour to recharge. And then when they get to Grandma's house, how do they charge up for the trip home? Certainly not on a typical 110 home outlet.
You can charge on a 110 outlet if you have to. It's slow. With the right adapter you can charge anywhere there's a power outlet. It's nowhere near as fast as a dc fast charger but its better than nothing.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
You can charge on a 110 outlet if you have to. It's slow. With the right adapter you can charge anywhere there's a power outlet. It's nowhere near as fast as a dc fast charger but its better than nothing.

Guy at work charges his Tesla on a 110v outlet and it nets him like 8-10 miles in a 12hr period.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
It would definitely take me a long time. I wouldn't want to do it in a gasoline vehicle either. We travel about 425 miles one way on vacation twice a year and with a wife and kid, that 7 hour trip turns into a 10 hour trip with all the pit stops.

When I first got the truck I drove it from MO to CO. Would not have been able to make that trip if it were an EV.

A month after I bought it, I drove up to Riverton WY to pick up a whole cow. (Butchered. Not alive)

Would not have been able to make that trip in an EV.

I use my Truck for Truck stuff.

The Lightning is not compatible with my lifestyle.

02reaper

Established Member
When I first got the truck I drove it from MO to CO. Would not have been able to make that trip if it were an EV.

A month after I bought it, I drove up to Riverton WY to pick up a whole cow. (Butchered. Not alive)

Would not have been able to make that trip in an EV.

They're not for everyone. I get that. For some people, they will always find a way that something won't work. For some, they will find a way to make things work. I'm not for EV's and I'm not against any other alternative fuel source. I can tell you I don't miss the gas pump at all. It's not always a 10 minute fill up there either.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
We are taking a 5000+ mile trip this summer, driving from Texas to South Dakota, over to Montana, then Wyoming and back to Texas. That would be painful in an EV.

I'd wager there's not a lot of charging stations in SD, WY and MT.

02reaper

Established Member
We are taking a 5000+ mile trip this summer, driving from Texas to South Dakota, over to Montana, then Wyoming and back to Texas. That would be painful in an EV.

I'd wager there's not a lot of charging stations in SD, WY and MT.
How long are you planning for this trip to be?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would opt out of Ford’s EV Program all together. Seems a shitty return on your investment, from a dealer standpoint, when you have to invest in certifications and infrastructure. Especially when you can’t recoup that investment by setting your own prices.

I did opt out. You can set your own prices and charge what you want, but you have to advertise MSRP...at this point.

This is one of the things that pisses me off to no end when trying to find a c8 z06... these dealers list them all at MSRP or some bullshit then come to find out they want 75k over or the damn car has already been sold and will try and sell you some shitty c8 they have sitting around.

I hate dealerships so much for pulling this shit, as well as the manufacturers for allowing it to happen.

Sadly, that's not really the dealership's fault. On the Z06s there is no manufacturer mandate as far as advertised price. 99 times out of 100 the cars show up on the dealer's website before it's even produce at the plant. A lot of dealerships have automated pricing rules, but they won't be applied until the vehicle is in stock... so from the time it makes it through the plant, to hitting the lot....it's defaulting to MSRP.

That's about right. My brother drove a Mach E to my parent's lake house last summer. Got down to about 9% on the way down Friday afternoon...when he went to leave Sunday evening it was only at 42% which was going to net him 115 miles or something. So for a 144 mile trip, that's no bueno. Ended up staying Sunday night and coming home Monday.

BlueSnake01

Established Member

To be fair, a ton of people dont even use a truck for truck stuff. They just buy it because they like it, its big and they feel good driving it. I have seen videos of Ram's being useless at towing because of the oversized wheels and/or height change. Ton are also RWD so their towing capability goes down the drain in off-roading.

Im not a fan of EV "cars" regardless but buying a truck for truck stuff is not the norm for a lot of truck owners
My brother drove a Mach E to my parent's lake house last summer. Got down to about 9% on the way down Friday afternoon...when he went to leave Sunday evening it was only at 42% which was going to net him 115 miles or something. So for a 144 mile trip, that's no bueno. Ended up staying Sunday night and coming home Monday.
Happened to a friend of mine as well. Vegas trip takes about 4~ hours from here. Took him about 7-8 hours to get home since his sister needed to charge her Tesla 3. Just crap all around for drives longer than 200 miles

Last edited:

02reaper

Established Member
I did opt out. You can set your own prices and charge what you want, but you have to advertise MSRP...at this point.

Sadly, that's not really the dealership's fault. On the Z06s there is no manufacturer mandate as far as advertised price. 99 times out of 100 the cars show up on the dealer's website before it's even produce at the plant. A lot of dealerships have automated pricing rules, but they won't be applied until the vehicle is in stock... so from the time it makes it through the plant, to hitting the lot....it's defaulting to MSRP.

That's about right. My brother drove a Mach E to my parent's lake house last summer. Got down to about 9% on the way down Friday afternoon...when he went to leave Sunday evening it was only at 42% which was going to net him 115 miles or something. So for a 144 mile trip, that's no bueno. Ended up staying Sunday night and coming home Monday.
I haven't been in a situation like that yet. Drove mine 500 miles home in an afternoon and stopped twice to charge for a total of about 30 minutes. The Ford software wants you to stop several times for 10 minutes here, 15 minutes here, and that was my first time learning the EV thing. The next time we went on a long trip I just took the extra time to charge up to 80 percent so I wouldn't have to stop again for a while.

02reaper

Established Member
I think we have 11-12 days scheduled. 3 days we have 12+ hours of drive time, 4 more days we have 7+ hours of drive time.

Man that's a lot of seat time either way. Not something I would even entertain with a 4 year old. Hats off to you!

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
My son has a Mach-e. He has a 40-50 mile commute round trip. It works well for him. I had to put a circuit in for him for his charger because he would only get about 12 miles of charge overnight from a regular outlet.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Last year, a Friend of mine, his father bought a Tesla with the falcon doors while they were at their winter home in Florida.
Time to fly home for the summer ( Massachusetts) calls his son up says fly down and drive my new Tesla back for me.

He goes down, usually a 26 hour 2 day 1 night drive back.

He had to stop 16 times @ 45-60 minutes each time to charge it, took a total of 42 hours 3 days 2 nights to make it home.

He tossed his dad the keys and said never again. You want it back down in Florida next winter, have it shipped.

Father drove it all last summer and ended up selling it due to lack of charging stations and overall lack of usefulness.

Users who are viewing this thread