Ford EV Frustration

Do you like how Ford is forcing dealers to advertise EVs at MSRP?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • Ford should limit to advertising at or BELOW MSRP

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
Yeah, similar for sure.

You can sell it for as much or little as you want...just can't advertise that. Advertising has to be at MSRP sales price, period.

I remember whose product I'm selling...I also remember I've already paid for the product before it gets delivered to my store... so essentially I'm selling my product.

Also, you can factory order vehicles at whatever pricing the manufacturer is setting at that time. If you order on Jan 10th and the MSRP is $55,000 and there's a $5,000 rebate.... when it comes in on May 30th, you either pay the $50,000, or if the rebates are better when it shows up, you get the benefit of that.

I had Super Duty customers last year that were price protected by $10,000 or so from the beginning of the model year until the end when it showed up.

local dealer had 40 lightnings sold to a fleet account, Ford could not build them for that MY, they did NOT get the price protection and the cost went up significantly when they had to convert the order to the next MY.. maybe thats just an EV thing, i dunno.. I ordered my 23 transit last July and still hasn't been built.. $65k MSRP for a loaded work van.. every couple of months i get an email from Ford, "yea we're sorry, covid and supply chain issues, blah blah blah" It's literally a joke now when i get the emails.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
Ford tried to sell direct at three different points back in the late 90s, quickly folded all three stores and dipped out of retail. They were used to a MUCH higher profit margin than what dealerships live off of. The vast majority of states now have Franchise Laws in place that don't allow auto manufacturers to sell direct. In fact, Tesla has started lobbying WITH the state automobile associations in favor of this as well, stating that it is a better model for selling vehicles.

the internet has come a long way from the 90s.. most dealerships in my area don't have a body shop or a competent service department.. the two most profitable areas of a franchise, so what exactly would a manufacturer be losing now?

02reaper

Established Member
Just EVs.

I would wager a healthy amount that Farley won't be holding the reigns in the not so distant future.

He really seems to be pushing some limits at Ford. If you were in his position what would you do? How would you be preparing ford for the present and the future?

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Price advertised should be the selling price less taxes if applicable. If dealers own the cars on the lot, Doesn’t that effectively make them previously owned (used) vehicles?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
He really seems to be pushing some limits at Ford. If you were in his position what would you do? How would you be preparing ford for the present and the future?

He is trying to be a market disrupter, with a legacy company.

I would rely on the products that have made Ford the number one selling truck manufacturer in the world. I would push hybrid models. The Powerboost is a great platform. I keep hoping they release it in an Expedition, my wife will most definitely have one.

I wish he would've taken a stand like Toyota and stuck by company goals and principles, rather than selling out to EVs and the LGBTQRTFJKD+ community.

Nick do you get incentives for selling EV's?

Yes and no. There is no markup on EVs. Invoice = MSRP. Depending on specific metrics and certifications you can get any where from 0%, 1.5%, 3.22% or 4.77% of the MSRP back to the dealership.

Price advertised should be the selling price less taxes if applicable. If dealers own the cars on the lot, Doesn’t that effectively make them previously owned (used) vehicles?

Agreed.

No...a vehicle becomes 'used' when it's been titled for the first time. Dealers own the vehicles on MSOs, not titles.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Not in this made up Monopoly. Imagine Apple could only sell its products to 2500 people in the US and it was up to them to distribute iPhones to hundreds of millions of people. It’s not hard to imagine the shenanigans…. Just take one look at 100k+ mark ups on vettes and Escalades right now. How this monopoly still exists in 2023 is mind boggling.

02reaper

Established Member
I’d really love to see Ford be that one brand that’s just like, “**** your Feelings… we’re here to sell bad ass card and trucks. Don’t like it? Buy a Chevy.”
Well seeing a lot of hate for EV's in general from a lot of the population, you could say that is what they are doing.

02reaper

Established Member
He is trying to be a market disrupter, with a legacy company.

I would rely on the products that have made Ford the number one selling truck manufacturer in the world. I would push hybrid models. The Powerboost is a great platform. I keep hoping they release it in an Expedition, my wife will most definitely have one.

I wish he would've taken a stand like Toyota and stuck by company goals and principles, rather than selling out to EVs and the LGBTQRTFJKD+ community.

Yes and no. There is no markup on EVs. Invoice = MSRP. Depending on specific metrics and certifications you can get any where from 0%, 1.5%, 3.22% or 4.77% of the MSRP back to the dealership.

Agreed.

No...a vehicle becomes 'used' when it's been titled for the first time. Dealers own the vehicles on MSOs, not titles.
I was looking at giving my wife my ecoboost, but I didn't want to turn around with the mileage and worry about cam phasers and intake valve coking. Sure I could do the work myself, but then there's parts backorders for these currently. Then I thought about just going back to the 5.0, but aren't they having issues with the cylinder bores and oil burning still? Not only that, can you even get a remanufactured long or short block from Ford right now? All manufactures are plagued with issues. As far as Toyota, once I get rid of hers, Ill never buy another Toyota again.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Well seeing a lot of hate for EV's in general from a lot of the population, you could say that is what they are doing.
You dont get it.

I harbor no hatred towards EVs. Thats not at all logical.

The lightning, which I considered purchasing, Just is not remotely practical.

Maybe you feel like a "rebel" for having bought one... But seriously man... No one looks at it that way. Hopefully for your sake, you dont get raped on the resale value of these things.. I dont see them holding value.. Infact I think youll be hard pressed to get rid of it in 5 years.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
If EV car's got over 300 miles on a full charge and didnt need hours of charging with avg equipment, ton more people would be open to them.

In reality, it really doesnt bring any improvements vs an ICE vehicle outside of its acceleration.

02reaper

Established Member
You dont get it.

I harbor no hatred towards EVs. Thats not at all logical.

The lightning, which I considered purchasing, Just is not remotely practical.

Maybe you feel like a "rebel" for having bought one... But seriously man... No one looks at it that way. Hopefully for your sake, you dont get raped on the resale value of these things.. I dont see them holding value.. Infact I think youll be hard pressed to get rid of it in 5 years.
I don't feel like a rebel at all. As far as resale, I'm not looking at selling or trading in a long time. Especially not for profit. I live in the deep country. Nobody hardly even knows what it is, which is nice, because I don't care for the attention. If I've figured out a couple of things during my lifetime is that people generally don't like change. Especially in the sense that they think that the government is making them do it.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't feel like a rebel at all. As far as resale, I'm not looking at selling or trading in a long time. Especially not for profit. I live in the deep country. Nobody hardly even knows what it is, which is nice, because I don't care for the attention. If I've figured out a couple of things during my lifetime is that people generally don't like change. Especially in the sense that they think that the government is making them do it.

The big thing that scares me about EVs are the value 6ish years down the road or 80k miles.

With 8yr/100k battery warranties...when they reach the end of that or close...what's a vehicle worth that needs a $25-35k battery? Probably totaled.

02reaper

Established Member
If EV car's got over 300 miles on a full charge and didnt need hours of charging with avg equipment, ton more people would be open to them.

In reality, it really doesnt bring any improvements vs an ICE vehicle outside of its acceleration.
In time that will come. Then they will be onto the next gripe.

02reaper

Established Member
The big thing that scares me about EVs are the value 6ish years down the road or 80k miles.

With 8yr/100k battery warranties...when they reach the end of that or close...what's a vehicle worth that needs a $25-35k battery? Probably totaled.
25-35k is currently for the whole battery. They have arrays that can be replaced individually unlike tesla which would be the whole pack. I've seen some replaced already, but I don't recall seeing a whole pack having to be replaced yet. Sure there will be some degradation, but how often have you worried or had a cell phone battery completely quit?

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
25-35k is currently for the whole battery. They have arrays that can be replaced individually unlike tesla which would be the whole pack. I've seen some replaced already, but I don't recall seeing a whole pack having to be replaced yet. Sure there will be some degradation, but how often have you worried or had a cell phone battery completely quit?
If the technology is going to advance as you noted above, why would someone dick with replacing the battery of some old piece of shit technology. The cars will be worthless. Nobody is running around using and Iphone 1 with a new battery.

02reaper

Established Member
For the same reason people repair old vehicles and everything else. In the case of a whole battery going out, I'm sure the vehicle would be junkyard bound, but that's currently not an issue with the batteries Ford is using.

Users who are viewing this thread