Ford Extended Warranty: Yes or No?

Y2K AG GT

Established Member
I am in the process of buying a Cobra today and was debating on whether or not to get the $1400 extended warranty. Has anyone else done that add on? Is it even worth it?

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
Just my opinion, but if you plan on modding it at all it isn't worth it. Very glad I didn't do it.

IDAREU

Banned
I think its worth it. I do not know what you are getting for $1400; however , having a warranty is important to me.

I purchased a 7yr, 36,000 mile warranty with a $0 ded for $580 plus a surcharge of $150 because of the supercharger. My car is already in storage for the winter with 2200 miles on it this year.

This warranty would also be good for people will drive only a 1/4 mile at a time, then this warranty could be considered a 7yr., 144,000 quater mile warranty!!!!

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
I think I made a mistake here getting the extended warranty. I will be modifying the car in the future and its going to be voided anyway.

coleman

Established Member
i've heard that it's much easier to get warranty work done w/o drawing the attention of corporate *if* you have an extended warranty.

can someone validate this rumor?

when i took my car in recently, they said ... "i hope you have an extended warranty!". i thought that was odd because i only have ~19K on the clock -- well within the standard warranty.

POINTCOVER

Established Member
Depends on how much you plan to mod your Cobra. If you see a chip and pulley in your future, I'd say no. All my current mods are warranty safe (according to my dealer).

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Shop around if you decide to do it. There are places online where you can buy Ford ESP warranties. Your dealer may not be the best place to purchase a warranty.

Check out Ford Warranty Central for an on-line quote.

-Greg

71stang99

Established Member
I dont think its worth it, look at the fine print and there are so many clauses. Also if you absolutely must have the warrenty, shop around on line, it almost never pays to purchase anything at the dealer when you can get the same thing elsewhere for a lot less money

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
First, the vast majority of '03 Cobra owners will add mods of some type within the standard warrantee period. That's a given. That said, take the time to search this forum for issues a ton of us have had with our dealers concerning warrantee claims. I think you'll quickly see that you should save your money and just go with the standard warrantee. Heck, one of our folks has a STOCK '03 and Ford is not fixing his car because they say he used an octane booster (which is not true). You'd be better off taking your $1400. and gambling it at the track! LOL!
:lol1: :rolleyes: :lol1: :rolleyes: :lol1:

Steel City Pimp

Established Member
From a previous experience I would have to say no. It all depends on your servicing dealer though. If they are laid back and dont break your balls too much than it might benefit you. Other than that they will find ways to deny warranty work just like the do with the manufactures warranty. It happened to me!

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by Y2K AG GT
I am in the process of buying a Cobra today and was debating on whether or not to get the $1400 extended warranty. Has anyone else done that add on? Is it even worth it?

Oh man don't save and invest your money. seriously do that and use it if you have to on the car. I have bone stock show car thats why I bought it to show it. Thats my fun, I was going to do it glad I didnt.

Warranty was very important to me but its not good if they turn there head on you.

If you feel that you have to buy the ford ESP and I heard the best place to buy it is on the net, Didnt realise your can shop around for the Ford plans.

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY, I FELT GREAT ABOUT HOW I WAS GOING TO BE TREATED WITH WARRENTY WITH LOCAL DEALERS. Now I belive it was the dealer and tech line shafted me.

If I go threw this on the 3/36 on stock dont plan the extended will be better IMHO

Invest the money and take good care of your car. Its built good any intial problems should show up with in the first 3/36 unless you beat the cr-p out of it then who cares you play you pay and you had fun.

just my .02 for your 1,400 worth

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Step 1. Bought it. (don't have a clue what I was thinking ha ha)

Step 2. Cancelled it

Step 3. Got refund (minus a leetle haircut insurance co style)

Step 4. Put more money into mods.

Skip steps 1 thru 3
JW ;-)

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
First off - the dealer is screwing you on the amount. I got my extended warranty for $950. While most serious performance mods (pulley and chip) will void the powertrain warranty - it will not void your radiator, seats, radio, ignition... you get the point. In my opinion, it is worth the $1k, and I believe you can get away with a tad more with the dealer (and Ford) if you have it. That is just MY opinion.

The dealer will deal on the E W price.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
DD200GT has a point, BUT.....let's face it. Most repairs will be drivetrain related, and it is risky at best to hope that Ford will honor a warrantee claim on any engine component if you have added engine mods. That said, even $900. is a lot to pay to insure your radio, seats, etc. that probably won't need repairs. Don't forget that most/all of these extended warrantees have a deductible. That's another expense to add to the cost of the warrantee. Let's face it, these warrantee companies aren't selling us contracts to lose money. And I'll bet most of them are hoping that we WILL mod our cars. Lessens the odds they will have to pay out on a warrantee claim.

:rollseyes

UnprediKtable

Established Member
If you decide to buy one, be sure you buy it from Ford. 3rd party warantees are scary and the company may fold or be sold to another company before you get a chance to make a claim. Be careful and read the warantee carefully.

Users who are viewing this thread