Ford Fiesta ST: Ecoboost 177HP/TQ, 6 Speed!

Fuerza

Established Member
Ford Fiesta ST Concept breaks cover in Frankfurt!

fra-me-ford-fiesta-st-concept-02_1035.jpg

Not much data from that article. I'm not sure we will see this and the Focus ST. Too much competition for same ecobox market.

Looks pretty sharp, and those are some pretty beefy looking brakes too!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
lol twin turbo on a 1.6L? 177hp/tq?

what.the.****.ford.

Thats pathetic, even if its light. And Twin Turbo? Why?

Should at least be a single turbo 2.0 with at least 220hp/tq, pretty standard combo for every other turbo 4cyl at this point.

I dont see this doing to well. If it comes stateside itll be high high teens for the option, and at that point theres a few other cars that will perform better for that price. Hell my buddy almost got a base genesis coupe 2.0t off the lot for $22k before he opted for the track package one.

Last edited:

NateV8

Established Member

what.the.****.ford.

Should at least be a single turbo 2.0 with at least 220hp/tq, pretty standard combo for every other turbo 4cyl at this point.

+1 Dumb as hell.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member

what.the.****.ford.

I dont see this doing to well. If it comes stateside itll be high high teens for the option, and at that point theres a few other cars that will perform better for that price. Hell my buddy almost got a base genesis coupe 2.0t off the lot for $22k before he opted for the track package one.

im gonna take a wild guess and say they meant twin scroll turbo...?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Sounds like the same old negative arguments that everyone made for the Raptor... "no one will buy it for that price", and "it will never get used to its potential". Everything negative I ever hear anyone say about Ford's special products usually gets proven wrong. Don't you think they do a substantial amount of research to find out if there's a market for this stuff and of they'll be able to sell the amount they need in order to profit off of it? Why do you think they've been so hesitant to announce the arrival of the RS in the states?

177hp isn't a lot, but in a sub compact such as this, what other brand offers anything with this much tech in it and for the price which I guarantee is going to be cheap. Think of the Fieata's competition, Fit, Yaris, Fiat 500, Aveo or soon to be Sonic I think. None of those offer anything close to what this ST will.

There's a lot of people like my parents for example that have to do a lot of commuting and don't need a big car anymore, but need something that gets good mpgs. They could buy a nicer car but they want something more practical like a b segment car but they don't want the cheap interior or lifeless and gutless engine. With my dad being a big car enthusiast this would be perfect for him to commute to work in. It's already too late for that though cause they already bought a new Focus. These cars will sell though!

Badasp5.0

Established Member
If it had a 220hp 2.0 it would near the same as the Focus ST... I bet its still a fun ass car @ 177hp with that twin setup I bit it has a flat torque curve so power all the time!

mr2cam

Established Member
If it had a 220hp 2.0 it would near the same as the Focus ST... I bet its still a fun ass car @ 177hp with that twin setup I bit it has a flat torque curve so power all the time!

Actually on a small motor twin turbo's are actually worse then single turbos.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Actually on a small motor twin turbo's are actually worse then single turbos.

Well apparently not in this case as it makes 177ft lbs as well and traditionally from Ecoboost motors that torque comes in very early and has a very broad RPM range. The SVT was a fun car with 170hp and 145ft lbs but that lack of torque that peaked high in the RPMs made it suck in the low end and overall pretty slow. I can only imagine what this much torque coming in around 2k rpm is like in a closely sized car as the old SVTF. The ST Fiesta is what the old SVTF should have originally been at the time.

And just think what basic bolt on and a tune will do for this thing. 200+hp will be easily attainable I bet.

Last edited:

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
Honostly, if Ford can keep the price under $20K I might consider buying a new daily driver! But...that's probably not going to happen. :nonono:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Well apparently not in this case as it makes 177ft lbs as well and traditionally from Ecoboost motors that torque comes in very early and has a very broad RPM range. The SVT was a fun car with 170hp and 145ft lbs but that lack of torque that peaked high in the RPMs made it suck in the low end and overall pretty slow. I can only imagine what this much torque coming in around 2k rpm is like in a closely sized car as the old SVTF. The ST Fiesta is what the old SVTF should have originally been at the time.

And just think what basic bolt on and a tune will do for this thing. 200+hp will be easily attainable I bet.

1.7l is not enough motor to spool two turbochargers unless they are literally the size of a soda can, and at that point they will suck to ask anything more from them airflow wise so if you think youre a boost controller and tune away from 200-220fwhp you got other things coming.

The 1.8t in my girls jetta spools a tiny single turbo instantly but guess what, that turbo also runs out of breath at 5k at stock boost levels, and good luck trying to get anything else from it power wise.

My 2.0 in the gst spools a 14b turbo from a early 90's dsm slightly slower than the stock smaller t25, but it doesnt run out of breath up top until im pushing around 16psi.

Just something to think about.

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
1.7l is not enough motor to spool two turbochargers unless they are literally the size of a soda can, and at that point they will suck to ask anything more from them airflow wise so if you think youre a boost controller and tune away from 200-220fwhp you got other things coming.

The 1.8t in my girls jetta spools a tiny single turbo instantly but guess what, that turbo also runs out of breath at 5k at stock boost levels, and good luck trying to get anything else from it power wise.

My 2.0 in the gst spools a 14b turbo from a early 90's dsm slightly slower than the stock smaller t25, but it doesnt run out of breath up top until im pushing around 16psi.

Just something to think about.

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

I don't have the answer to address your statement, but lets just take a look at how Ford has historically built their performance minded cars. I don't think they are going to stray from their usual plan with this car and STs have traditionally been pretty popular tuning cars, even the Fiesta. It would be completely abnormal for Ford to build this car without the capability to work at least another 50hp out of it.

mr2cam

Established Member

That doesn't mean much, in 1991 with extremely old technology they were able to produce a turbo MR2 that made 200hp/200tq.. Trust me, twin turbos have been tested on a lot of different 4 cylinders, they are not efficient at all, they need a little more cubic inches, a little 1.7 will have a hard time pushing two turbos.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
That doesn't mean much, in 1991 with extremely old technology they were able to produce a turbo MR2 that made 200hp/200tq.. Trust me, twin turbos have been tested on a lot of different 4 cylinders, they are not efficient at all, they need a little more cubic inches, a little 1.7 will have a hard time pushing two turbos.

Has it stated whether it's a parallel twin turbo setup or a sequential twin turbo setup cause I'm betting it's a sequential setup.

Users who are viewing this thread