Ford GT Disappointing Finish at 12 Hours of Sebring

chao5.0

Established Member
Back in 2014, team SRT racing came in 2nd, with probably a fraction of the budget of the Ford GT racing team. The Ford GT's racing efforts isn't impressive so far

that was a factory backed team as well and I doubt it was at a fraction of the current FGT team, no factory backed teams operate anywhere near what a privateer team does as far as budgets go. factory teams have money thrown at them constantly to get them to perform.

I wouldn't expect ford to have any major success the first year or 2 with this new car, even if they get everything sorted before the years end they still need to find a rhythm much like team corvette has as well as the Porsche teams. as I said before Ferrari has been at this longer than anyone and even they struggle when new things are introduced, just the nature of the sport.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
that was a factory backed team as well and I doubt it was at a fraction of the current FGT team, no factory backed teams operate anywhere near what a privateer team does as far as budgets go. factory teams have money thrown at them constantly to get them to perform.

I wouldn't expect ford to have any major success the first year or 2 with this new car, even if they get everything sorted before the years end they still need to find a rhythm much like team corvette has as well as the Porsche teams. as I said before Ferrari has been at this longer than anyone and even they struggle when new things are introduced, just the nature of the sport.
"Viper didn’t go to the 24 Hours of Le Mans this year because they weren’t able to come up with enough sponsorship to cover the expenses, so the Italians at parent company Fiat stamped “cancelled” on the Viper’s passport. "
http://www.motorsport.com/imsa/news/why-dodge-killed-the-srt-viper-racing-program/

"When Tim Kuniskis, head of Dodge, took over SRT and Viper, he saw a surcharge of $15,000 per car on the production Viper to fund the racing program. Reducing the price of the Viper by $15,000 would help sales of the vehicle, while keeping it profitable. The Dodge team then proposed that SRT Motorsports find sponsors to pay for the racing operation.

Assuming $15,000 per car times 1,000 cars sold, one gets $15 million, and that kind of money can go a long way in a racing program. The pricing of other SRT vehicles may have been similarly adjusted. Telling the SRT Motorsports marketing team to bridge the gap to fund the racing program makes sense.

Tim Kuniskis then lowered the price of the cars so that the customer was no longer paying for the racing operation, spurring sales. Dodge then waited to see what SRT Motorsports would come up with in terms of sponsorship before making any other decisions."
http://www.allpar.com/racing/LeMans/vipers.html

But team Viper has a lot of money, right?
Fact is, the Viper was far more successful than the Ford GT.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Exactly. Chevy has been a serious force in road racing for quite awhile. Kudos to them, frankly. The Corvette is firmly established as THE American Euro-Supercar killer, to date. Funny, if you think about it, the Corvette DP is closer to the original Ford GT40 than the new FGT. Big ass pushrod V8...and a relatively basic chassis. Sounds really good compared to the Fart Box Ecoboost. Kind of wish the FGT still had a V8.

That being said, I am looking forward to the FGT ultimately kicking ass this year (and hopefully being on the podium at Le Mans). It's just painful waiting for that to happen. Staying tuned.

I will see the vette dp and the fgt at the salens 6hr race at the glen...lookin forward to it.

Those vette dp cars are filthy...and they sound awesome

Last edited:

chao5.0

Established Member
"Viper didn’t go to the 24 Hours of Le Mans this year because they weren’t able to come up with enough sponsorship to cover the expenses, so the Italians at parent company Fiat stamped “cancelled” on the Viper’s passport. "
http://www.motorsport.com/imsa/news/why-dodge-killed-the-srt-viper-racing-program/

"When Tim Kuniskis, head of Dodge, took over SRT and Viper, he saw a surcharge of $15,000 per car on the production Viper to fund the racing program. Reducing the price of the Viper by $15,000 would help sales of the vehicle, while keeping it profitable. The Dodge team then proposed that SRT Motorsports find sponsors to pay for the racing operation.

Assuming $15,000 per car times 1,000 cars sold, one gets $15 million, and that kind of money can go a long way in a racing program. The pricing of other SRT vehicles may have been similarly adjusted. Telling the SRT Motorsports marketing team to bridge the gap to fund the racing program makes sense.

Tim Kuniskis then lowered the price of the cars so that the customer was no longer paying for the racing operation, spurring sales. Dodge then waited to see what SRT Motorsports would come up with in terms of sponsorship before making any other decisions."
http://www.allpar.com/racing/LeMans/vipers.html

But team Viper has a lot of money, right?

Fact is, the Viper was far more successful than the Ford GT.

I wasn't referring to this year, I went and looked it up, dodge backed team viper in their return in 2014 when they had their success and then pulled the plug after the end of 2014 because lack of sales of the new viper. the 2015 and current teams are either strictly SRT or private teams not factory backed anymore, so yes they were heavily backed in their return otherwise their success would not have been possible so quickly. so yes a big factory team is currently not dominating a sport they just returned to after years being on hiatus, omg the what is wrong with the ford. try competing in or at least understanding a motorsport like this before you go running your mouth about it. I remember when team corvette return in the late 90's, that car did horrible its first year out, even had to retire a few times. what viper did was with a factory backed team in 2014.

SirShaun

Established Member
Good to see this investment working out for Ford haha.

Just imagine how great the Mustang or an affordable Corvette competitor could have been, had they pumped the money into those programs instead.

Not a bad way to waste millions, I guess.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
who cares about winning races? Ecoboost is more fuel efficient and better for the environment. They also don't make loud "rumble, rumble" noises that scare women and small children. :( These violent polluting large displacement v8 engines should be banned from all automobiles, racing and road going alike. Ecoboost FTW :rockon:

Truly progressive.

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Some day I hope the big three stars align and we get Ford GTs, Corvette C_Rs and Dodge Vipers all driven in anger against each other in GTLM. I know I'll be cheering on the #91 and #93 Vipers. Atleast Riley is still campaigning the #33 in GTD. They've had nothing but shitty luck, I hope they are due for a W.

For anyone here that was surprised that the GT didn't do good at Daytona Id say you're not near as surprised as Ford was!!! They had the presses rolling big time about the debut of the new GT, and Daytona greeted them with a humbling welcome back to reality in short order. They learned a lot from it, and did better at Sebring.

The two European teams campaigning the ford GTLMs should make for a good chance that the GT will get back on the top step of the podium at Le Mans this year because that's the ultimate goal of this new factory backed GT effort.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Lotta race experts in here!

1. It's impossible to dominate in modern racing. Corvette won the first two races last year, then with the balance of performance adjustments did absolutely nothing for the remainder of the IMSA season. The 911 RSR and their little 6 cylinder laid waste to everyone. Initial BoP in WEC has GT with 10kg more and less boost throughout the range over the IMSA cars.

2. Second race. GT was within 15-20 seconds of the winner with 10 minutes to go.

3. Everything until May is a reliability test to work out any kinks until June.

4. It's a bummer some of you guys are gonna have to bail on buying GTs given what's happened the last 90 days.

Skrapmetal

Established Member

1. It's impossible to dominate in modern racing. Corvette won the first two races last year, then with the balance of performance adjustments did absolutely nothing for the remainder of the IMSA season. The 911 RSR and their little 6 cylinder laid waste to everyone. Initial BoP in WEC has GT with 10kg more and less boost throughout the range over the IMSA cars.

2. Second race. GT was within 15-20 seconds of the winner with 10 minutes to go.

4. It's a bummer some of you guys are gonna have to bail on buying GTs given what's happened the last 90 days.

5. The legendary GT40 didn't come out of the garage and immediately start winning races either.

blk02edge

Established Member

The biggest bummer is how a few certain members relentlessly blame the ecoboost for not having the balls, even though the gtlm is highly detuned from the street version.. Oh well, they are clearly trolls

mrlrd1

Established Member

Most here are aware of who you are (informally) and the information you provide. That said, all you posted here was a list of excuses.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Most here are aware of who you are (informally) and the information you provide. That said, all you posted here was a list of excuses.

Not at all. Obviously the race at Daytona was a mess, but it was the first time the car was ever on a track competitively, so I can't get too bent out of shape over it.

I'm pointing out that you don't just show up and blow people away, whether your car is superior or inferior. GT manufacturers spend a lot of money to race in these series, and the Balance of Performance is designed to equalize things so everybody gets a turn at or near the top of the table, regardless of the superiority of the road car you're race car is based on. For people that think you just show up with a sweet car and win, reliability or not, that's just not how it works.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
GT manufacturers spend a lot of money to race in these series, and the Balance of Performance is designed to equalize things so everybody gets a turn at or near the top of the table, regardless of the superiority of the road car you're race car is based on.

The way I interpret what you just summed up here DBK, is basically saying that GT racing is a bunch of B.S. The governing bodies basically chose which car they want to win.

I'm surprised that these manufacturers fork out the money they do. The success/failure of their programs rests with a handful of people.

DBK knows whats up, last year Corvette was 3rd and 8th place in GTLM, a field of 10 cars https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_United_SportsCar_Championship
The Corvette program has been running since the C5R days!!!!

They did win the Le Mans though. That one race basically guaranteed a successful season for them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread