Ford GT in Speed World

SoftBatch

Keep Firing Assholes
Established Member
FRPP Catalog said:
Here is a quote from the new FRPP Catalog on page 41

The new Ford GT head is a derivative of the 2000 Cobra R head. Those same heads have been used on the Rough Rider off-road racing program to make nearly 700hp out of 6 liters naturally aspirated!

I think the 5.4L production version should be fine for this competition.

Here is an article I found on the engine

Off-Road.com said:
When Toyota unleashed it's 4 valve Lexus / Tundra engine on the Trophy Truck world in 1997, a new sound was heard across the desert. It was apparently heard all the way back to Dearborn as well, because Ford wasted little time designing a 4 valve head for the 5.4 Triton engine based on the DOHC 4.6 Cobra.

"What" , you say? "Factory involvement as in F-A-C-T-O-R-Y?

While the off road community believed the days of the factory sponsored racer over, The reality is that they merely lowered their profile. Unless the politically correct climate in the US changes, we won't be seeing "Rough Riders 2" any time soon, but the fact remains - There's nothing like a desert race to torture test your equipment.

Committing a reported $180,000 to the Ford's head program alone, Ford continues it's R&D work with Enduro in several areas. As in the E4OD days, Ford Powertrain is testing and developing the electronically shifted 6 speed automatic in the desert, and the results of the lessons learned there will soon be finding their way into your dealers showroom.

Specs on the 4 valve 5.4 are suspiciously hard to come by, but here's what we know. The mighty mill is rumored to develop close to 700 hp, with power coming in hard over 5500 RPM. Grinned Dave Ashley "You gotta' drive it like a 125 dirt bike".

That free breathing high RPM power comes in part from the 4 valve heads, fed through a monstrous cast plenum - F1 style intake, twin SVO throttle bodies, and a grille inducted "Ram Air" system. With all the plumbing kept underhood, the F-150 retains a remarkably "stock" looking appearance. (Well, compared to other Trophy Trucks anyway)

Spent gasses are fed through a unique 8 into 1 collector and a high mounted canister style muffler. Combined with a 6 inch outlet, the 5.4 DOHC engine sounds much more like that of a a Formula 1 car than of a 5000 pound desert truck. Regardless of what it "really" sounds like, the noise will soon be making it's way across the ocean to Toyota headquarters. It's doubtful that they'll find anything "musical" about it.

Rounding out the drivetrain is a Chrisman 10.25 rear axle set up for the coilover / 4 Link rear suspension. 4 wheel disc brakes fitted with 4 piston calipers provide plenty of stopping force for the 37x12.5x17 BF Goodrich Baja "Project" T/A's Nothing fancy, nothing "cutting edge", just tried and proven technology.

http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/features/1999/02/

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
How about a de-stroked 4.6 Twin screw Cobra motor???.. de-stroke by .6 litre... and crank the boost... It would make CRAZY power from 4 to 8K easily!!!... Maybe even higher!

Factories de-stroke street versions for racing all the freaking time!!!

bluestreak89

Established Member
Is there a race that has all the GT types. I know there is Lemans and 24hrs of Daytona but minus to prototypes, pure GT versions of the street cars. I would love to see this car race the c6r, viper acr, porsche, ferrari, lambo, etc etc etc

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
Is there a race that has all the GT types. I know there is Lemans and 24hrs of Daytona but minus to prototypes, pure GT versions of the street cars. I would love to see this car race the c6r, viper acr, porsche, ferrari, lambo, etc etc etc

Speed GT series has all production based cars. Not the C6R (much higher level than these cars), but C6's, Viper comp coupes (the big dogs ;-) ), Porsche, GTOR's, CTS-VR's.

Not the highest level of road racing, but very entertaining.

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
Don't they run restrictors on the inlets for these cars? There are a lot of rules and regulations involved, so its not as simple as just sticking a new motor in there.

Formula51

Established Member
I find it interesting that they are going to enter the GT in a class where it will compete against C6's, C5Z's, and big GTO's and CTSV's. Is this due to a lack of financial backing to compete in the ALMS?

To me it seems....well wrong to enter Ford's supercar in a class with "regular" Vettes. Now I know these are race cars, but they are production based and I would think it would be very bad to the image and prestige of the GT if it competes with the lowly Corvette. Especially if it looses to it. A supercar should be competing with other supercars. It will be nice to see the GT race, but I am not sure this is a very wise move for the prestige of the car. Let hope like hell it wins because it would be one hell of an embarassment if it did not.

SoftBatch

Keep Firing Assholes
Established Member
Formula51 said:
I find it interesting that they are going to enter the GT in a class where it will compete against C6's, C5Z's, and big GTO's and CTSV's. Is this due to a lack of financial backing to compete in the ALMS?

To me it seems....well wrong to enter Ford's supercar in a class with "regular" Vettes. Now I know these are race cars, but they are production based and I would think it would be very bad to the image and prestige of the GT if it competes with the lowly Corvette. Especially if it looses to it. A supercar should be competing with other supercars. It will be nice to see the GT race, but I am not sure this is a very wise move for the prestige of the car. Let hope like hell it wins because it would be one hell of an embarassment if it did not.

Which is obviously why they would not have Ford's backing.

TRXboy

Established Member
And also Ovb. How the C5R and C6R have pretty much stomped at lemans the last couple of years.

Formula51

Established Member
I did not know this race entry did not have Ford's backing, that is interesting.

TRXboy: I don't see your point about the C5R and C6R, this GT would not be competing against those cars although I think it should and is plenty capable with the right funding, research, and design.

TRXboy

Established Member
Because you called the Corvette "Lowly" and said that the GT should not be raced against it due to embaressment. Well if thats the case how do you think the Viper and Vette teams feel when they get spanked by a 4 door sedan in the same class.

In term's of on track performance the Viper/Vette/ and GT are all in the same playing feild, the only thing that made the production GT more desierable (and expensive) was it's limited numbers and signicantly done up insides (marginaly better performance for considering the extra 70 evtra RWHP)

So if this car does lose to a vette in an all out track race it has no shame in doing so, i think that it would be the perfect series to get this car into, not to mention get Fords name a little more out in the race scene.

fordification

Established Member
Ford has been out of the international racing scene for too long. This car has absolutely no racing development. And the fact that it's a mid-engine car makes it all that more difficult and expensive. He11 even Ferrari is still having a difficult time even with all of their experience.

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
The lack of development time is going to be a killer, but its where it should be. It should be raced against other production cars not tube chasis cars.

I would rather see the Ford GT raced than not raced at all. Even if it loses it will be fun as hell just to see it out there.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
it wouldnt be able to run in ALMS no matter how much they did to it since you have to run the production engine(to a certain point) and an engine cannot have FI unless its 4.4l or under(pretty sure thats it). i might be thinking of the wrong series but im pretty sure its ALMS, someone correct me if im wrong. either way i cant wait to see this car in action.

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
fordification said:
He11 even Ferrari is still having a difficult time even with all of their experience.

Excluding F1, Ferrari hasn't fielded a works team since 1973...

There's a snowballs chance in hell a privateer team with Ford GT's will win anything.

SoftBatch

Keep Firing Assholes
Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
it wouldnt be able to run in ALMS no matter how much they did to it since you have to run the production engine(to a certain point) and an engine cannot have FI unless its 4.4l or under(pretty sure thats it). i might be thinking of the wrong series but im pretty sure its ALMS, someone correct me if im wrong. either way i cant wait to see this car in action.

Drop the FI and add revs, there won't be as much torque but the HP should be comparable.

Users who are viewing this thread