Ford GT Pumps Upgrade

Bostard

Established Member
I am in the process of upgrading the pumps in my Cobra to the Ford GT pumps. I bought the ones from RPM Outlet. I guess you have to strip them out of their fancy plastic case to get just the pump to mount in the factory Cobra bracket. They also come with that flex tubing already attached with a quick disconnect on one end. Well that ain't gonna work! I guess I will need to replace all the flex tubing to make it "done right". Anyone know where I can get just this tubing? Also, I'm sure several people have done this upgrade and I'd like to know what you did. Will regular rubber fuel hose work in place of that plastic flex tubing?

floridagt

Established Member
ijust did the upgrade i tried the rubber tubbing i didn't like the way the rubber looked so i pried the plastic off the cobra pumps and it waorks great just becareful

udlose03

Established Member
ive used marine grade fuel hose when swapping pumps in my camaro, should work fine, just make sure you get mini t-bolt clamps that can hold up to the insane fuel pressure.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
you'll want to use the Gates submersible fuel line if you switch the hose. However, the flex tubing will work just fine, just put the connector in a vice and carefully crack it and remove it from the hose then just clamp the hose to the y fitting. Also you can reuse your factory pump filters if you just trim the basket a little so they fit. One other thing you can do is remove the caps from the power and ground wires and they will plug right into the pumps with no wire splicing necessary. Then just give the connectors a good squeeze with a pliers to make sure they don't come off.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
+1 on the Gates submersible (make sure it's for fuel injection). It's not the cheapest stuff, but it works well. Also, make sure to use the fuel injection clamps, not the regular worm type clamps.

ogbatman

Established Member
Hope it works better than mine. I have a ford GT pump n my built and its crap switching to SVT focus pump.

ogbatman

Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
What was the issue you had?

The pump couldnt handle the boost I guess. When I was having it tuned it was pegging so now I have to order a focus pump. I'm only running around 10lbs of boost.

floridagt

Established Member
ogbatman said:
The pump couldnt handle the boost I guess. When I was having it tuned it was pegging so now I have to order a focus pump. I'm only running around 10lbs of boost.
that doesn't sound right I have a little 2valve and run 20lbs no BAP and it handles just fine...

Last edited:

Bostard

Established Member
Guess I shoulda gotten the input sooner. I wrestled that stupid plastic tubing until I got fed up and slit the ends with a razor to get them off....so I guess I'm going the Gates submersible route. Where can I get some along with clamps online?

Sharkster

Established Member
doing all of this now with many photos for a new writeup. Seems a lot of the old threads with photos have lost the links to the photos.
Ill be done by this evening.
Get rid of the kined crap and get the Gates good stuff and dont skimp on those clamps either

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
floridagt said:
ijust did the upgrade i tried the rubber tubbing i didn't like the way the rubber looked so i pried the plastic off the cobra pumps and it waorks great just becareful

ive heard some people that have reuesed the plastic line and the pressure of the GT pumps ended up blowing through the plastic line.

just keep an eye on your fuel pressure. incase that happens to you.

CobraO4

Tuned by HBH
Established Member
Do not use regular gas line... it must be submersible fuel line. On a side note I can see why you do the PPRV delete but why change the pumps. Buy a boost-a-pump and continue to use your stock cobra pumps. That setup is good for over 700 - 800 hp.

floridagt

Established Member
no_slow_svt said:
ive heard some people that have reuesed the plastic line and the pressure of the GT pumps ended up blowing through the plastic line.

just keep an eye on your fuel pressure. incase that happens to you.
Hmmm something to think about thanks for the heads up! :beer:

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
i have an extra foot of the gates submersable fuel line.
i only used one foot for my set up.
pm if someone wants it.
J

ogbatman

Established Member
floridagt said:
that doesn't sound right I have a little 2valve and run 20lbs no BAP and it handles just fine...

I have it on my bullitt wit no BAP and its throwing a lean code cuz the pump cant keep up.:??:

I'm going to switch it out and go wit what I know.

Bostard

Established Member
You weren't kidding about the gates hose being expensive. I think I ended up paying $7/ft. Oh well, cheap compared to everything else on this car. Those of you that have done the gates hose route......how did you get the hose installed without it kinking at the top of the pump? You only have about 2 inches to work with and that doesn't leave room for any tight bending. I did find a place online that would sell me new flex tubing for cheap.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
well like i said earlier you can use the flex hose that came with the new pumps for those two sections but if you don't have the new flex hose or just want to use the gates then put another clamp right on the bend and it will keep it from kinking.

ogbatman

Established Member
blownaltered said:
have you upgraded your fpdm yet, that could be the issue

I shouldnt have to wit the focus fuel pump. My buddy is running the focus pump wit no problems with a KB set up and no upgrade to the fpdm. I think the GT pump is just no set up for it.

Users who are viewing this thread