Ford GT replacement for 2007?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I saw an article in the latest issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines magazine that reports that the new Ford Shelby GR-1 is meant to be the replacement for the Ford GT in 2007. Seems that the current Ford GT's rear bumper will not make the new Federal rear impact standards. So rather than modify the GT they're going to go with a completely new car. This one will be a front-engined 10-cylinder reportedly making 605hp and 501 ft lbs. of torque.

Most have probably already seen this picture of it. I wonder, though, how many know it is supposed to actually replace the Ford GT.

ford-gr1.jpg

Warren S

Originally posted by CobraBob
I saw an article in the latest issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines magazine that reports that the new Ford Shelby GR-1 is meant to be the replacement for the Ford GT in 2007. Seems that the current Ford GT's rear bumper will not make the new Federal rear impact standards. So rather than modify the GT they're going to go with a completely new car. This one will be a front-engined 10-cylinder reportedly making 605hp and 501 ft lbs. of torque.

Not to take anything away from the Shelby GR-1, but I'm actually hoping that the GR-1 doesn't "replace" the GT and wish that the GT will continue more than just a few years. I like the design of the GT better. Besides, why change things now since Ford has spent a lot of time, effort and $$$ to develop and now produce the GT. I remember a few years back when the GT (then GT-40 concept) was just a concept and many over on the other camps said "no way could Ford ever produce it". Well, look now, they're wrong. If enough fans express their concerns, Ford will listen. Perhaps the GT could use that V10 from the GR-1 and Cobra concept "daisy". My idea of a *perfect* Ford GT would be one with that V10 motor. Now that would absolutely kick-ass!

fordification

Established Member
Re: Re: Ford GT replacement for 2007?

Originally posted by Warren GT
Not to take anything away from the Shelby GR-1, but I'm actually hoping that the GR-1 doesn't "replace" the GT and wish that the GT will continue more than just a few years. I like the design of the GT better. Besides, why change things now since Ford has spent a lot of time, effort and $$$ to develop and now produce the GT. I remember a few years back when the GT (then GT-40 concept) was just a concept and many over on the other camps said "no way could Ford ever produce it". Well, look now, they're wrong. If enough fans express their concerns, Ford will listen. Perhaps the GT could use that V10 from the GR-1 and Cobra concept "daisy". My idea of a *perfect* Ford GT would be one with that V10 motor. Now that would absolutely kick-ass!

I totally agree. Wasn't the plan to take the development from the GT and apply it to another model? 90% of the design is the space frame for a mid-engine design. You take that away and there isn't much left. Plus the mid-engine design creates a better balance over front engine. And it also creates an edge over Chev and Dodge. Notice how Dodge came out with their mid-engine concept right after the GT was introduced?

fordification

Established Member
Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to see Ford produce the GR-1. It would fill that 60-80g price range that the Viper still holds. And it's just a matter of time before the Mustang Cobra catches up to the Vette..

Koolaid_Guy

Since the rear bumper won't make safety standards that means they will probably have to re engineer the rear of the car which they don't wanna do and the gr-1 is going to be based off the GT platform so :??: Just it will be a front engine car not a rear

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
i hope ford builds the new gr-1. i like the looks of it better than the GT. also it should be less exspensive than the GT and produced in more volume which should eliminate dealer markup in which case i will be buying one.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I would hope they continue the gt maybe with a v-10 to keep shelby happy. Put the s/c 5.4 dohc in a cobra mustang and lightning. The gr-1 to me looks a lot like aston martin. I would be interested if it came down to like 60 to 75k though. I just have always liked the orginal looks of that gt 40.

Warren S

Originally posted by 69gt4speed
I would hope they continue the gt maybe with a v-10 to keep shelby happy. Put the s/c 5.4 dohc in a cobra mustang and lightning. The gr-1 to me looks a lot like aston martin. I would be interested if it came down to like 60 to 75k though. I just have always liked the orginal looks of that gt 40.

You've nailed my thoughts exactly. Not to take anything away from the s/c 5.4 that can be easily modded for another 50-100hp with just a pulley change and ECM programming, but I prefer big cubes, normally aspirated for the GT. Then I will have the freedom to add a blower or twin-turbo if 600hp isn't enough for me.
:eek:

Actually, I wouldn't mind at all if Ford switched motors between the GT and GR-1. I'd prefer the GT with a V10 and the GR-1 with a s/c 5.4

The GR-1 does look like an Aston Martin in the front though the styling cues were primarily to mimic the Cobra Daytona Coupe. Coincidence that Ford happends to own Aston Martin? Now the GR-1 priced in the upper $70K range would fill that niche that the Vipers have been enjoying for a number of years. Competition improves the breed.

Also, keep in mind that rumurs abound about Bob Lutz introducing a Super Vette "Blue Devil" or "Viper Killer" or at least a 500hp version Z06. GM may be late in the game, but don't count them out this time. If it was just Dave Hill making decisions, then I would be skeptical as many times before with GM. But now, Lutz is at the helm and may want to shake things up a bit by creating something "substantial" while at GM. Meanwhile, we will have to wait until the NAIAS in January '05.

RAWSN8K

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc
Established Member
To clarify things a bit, the GR-1 is not based on the Ford GT platform. The prototype was built on a spare Shelby Cobra Concept chassis. It's intent is to file the void between the Mustang Cobra and the Ford GT, not replace the Ford GT. The plans are to produce the GR-1 in the $65K-$85k range. It has been designed to compete with the Viper market. My sorce, in case you're wondering, was the special on the Discovery Channel that explained the entire project.

RAWSN8K

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Thanks for the info, prices and so on. We can all hope Ford sells thousands of the new mustang that way these other cars could be built as we all know the gt, or gr-1 will not be built in large amounts and at the same time unless some serious dollars come in from other vehicle sales. At least that is how it has always worked before. I was surprised though the 03 cobra came out with a s/c and a 6 speed. I don't know the original sales prediction figures however if the 03/04 met predictions things are easier to justify bigger grander ideas. Any good company can make and sell expensive products but it better be justified or underwritten someway. Or heads will roll and people laid off.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
sorry to disagree here, but I like the bodystyle of the GT MUCH better, and I'd rather hear the growl of a V8 engine because there's nothing that has the sound of macho machine power like a V8 engine does. I don't like the way V10's or V12's sound. Furthermore a mid-engine car like the GT will get better traction off the line as well as handle better around the twisties than a front engine car will because of the better weight distribution.

Paul Vincent

Established Member
B.G., I too prefer the GT. On another note, after reading how Ford is killing the 2006 Lightning, I have to wonder if we can count on Ford for much of anything performance wise anymore (and it isn't that I am a truck guy; I am a car guy and always have been It's just that Ford's decision to drop the Lightning is hardly what I would have expected).

Warren S

Originally posted by RAWSN8K
To clarify things a bit, the GR-1 is not based on the Ford GT platform. The prototype was built on a spare Shelby Cobra Concept chassis. It's intent is to file the void between the Mustang Cobra and the Ford GT, not replace the Ford GT. The plans are to produce the GR-1 in the $65K-$85k range. It has been designed to compete with the Viper market. My sorce, in case you're wondering, was the special on the Discovery Channel that explained the entire project.

RAWSN8K

Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad to hear that it won't "replace" the GT but fill in the void.

I remember watching that program a few weeks ago featuring J. Mays, a new designer (can't recall his name), and the project team. The best part was at the end where they introduced the GR-1 to Carroll Shelby. He was very satisfied and pleased with it.

Does anyone remember the episode title that was played on the Discovery Channel? Looking for that DVD at the Discovery Channel store.

Warren S

Originally posted by BillyGman
sorry to disagree here, but I like the bodystyle of the GT MUCH better, and I'd rather hear the growl of a V8 engine because there's nothing that has the sound of macho machine power like a V8 engine does. I don't like the way V10's or V12's sound. Furthermore a mid-engine car like the GT will get better traction off the line as well as handle better around the twisties than a front engine car will because of the better weight distribution.

Not to worry BillyG. The Ford V10 does not sound like any other V10. I think the Ford V10 has the best exhaust sound, the best of both worlds. It sounds like a high-revving V8, like an Indy V8, but also with a low rpm rumble. I heard it when they introduced the concept Cobra “daisy” and a short clip of a program called Rides with a Mustang prototype V10 a few months back. On the other hand, the Viper V10 sounds like a UPS truck from idle to low rpms then sounds like a Hoover vacuum cleaner from then on. The Lambo Gallardo V10 sounds like most Italian exotics, free revving and high octave overtones without no low rpm rumble, just like Italian V12’s. Then there are the V10's of F1, and you know how they screem at 18K rpms.

Lawman85

Banned
So if Ford adds the GR-1 to their line-up they would have, Mustang V6, Mustang GT, SVT Mustang, GR-1, and the GT. Not to mention the Saleen and Roush cars running around. Any other manufacturer, other than Ferrari, have a line-up like that?

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Re: Re: Ford GT replacement for 2007?

My idea of a *perfect* Ford GT would be one with that V10 motor. Now that would absolutely kick-ass!

The perfect Ford GT motor would be a 427 cid V8.

If this GR-1 thing becomes reality...the people buying GT's right now will look even dumber than they currently do.

And how is Ferrari's line up even close to Ford's?

The only thing they are curretly producing is the Modena, Scagletti and (possibly) the 575M.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Not to worry BillyG. The Ford V10 does not sound like any other V10. I think the Ford V10 has the best exhaust sound, the best of both worlds. It sounds like a high-revving V8, like an Indy V8, but also with a low rpm rumble. I heard it when they introduced the concept Cobra “daisy” and a short clip of a program called Rides with a Mustang prototype V10 a few months back. On the other hand, the Viper V10 sounds like a UPS truck from idle to low rpms then sounds like a Hoover vacuum cleaner from then on. The Lambo Gallardo V10 sounds like most Italian exotics, free revving and high octave overtones without no low rpm rumble, just like Italian V12’s. Then there are the V10's of F1, and you know how they screem at 18K rpms.

Yes Warren, I can see that you know what I'm talking about. I've never heard the Ford V-10 engine, but although I'm skeptical, I'll have to take your word on that.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
i notice that 50 BMG and BillyGman all make reference to .50 caliber guns in their user id names and user id descriptions. that has got to be more than just a coincidence but then i own three .50 calibers myself and i replied to this post here before either one of them did. so with that said the three of us sure do have alot in common. here is some pics of me shootin my .50 calibers. the first pic is of me shootin my .50 caliber browning machinegun and the 2nd pic is of me shootin my .50 caliber clip fed semi-auto barrett M82A1. the last pic is of me shootin my .50 caliber desert eagle handgun.

2162scan0011-med.jpg

2162scan_6_resized.jpg

2162scan3_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread