Ford Maverick Tremor - Full Review | Affordable Little Truck Gets a Bit Spendy

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Ford Maverick Tremor - Full Review | Affordable Little Truck Gets a Bit Spendy

Maverick_Tremor_031.jpg

It is an undisputed fact that since its initial release, the Maverick pickup has been a resounding sales success for Ford Motor Company. I know these little trucks are not held in the highest regard in some circles on SVTP, but we feel that the Maverick definitely has a place in the current Ford lineup. We recently had the opportunity to spend some time with the tippy-top Maverick model, The Tremor.

The Maverick Tremor follow the family formula Ford has laid out for the Tremor Nameplate across their various trucks; placing it as the most capable off-road package available on a given truck, without stepping up to a specialty Raptor model. In the case of the Mav, this meant adding a small suspension lift (around 1-inch of additional height), more aggressive 30-inch tall Falken Wildpeak tires, and raiding the Bronco Sport Badlands parts-bin for some drivetrain upgrades. Specifically, the Tremor gets a rear locker and the ability to lock the AWD system into 4WD (though without a low-range option). This video will give you a more complete overview of the package:

Underneath, the Tremor gains some steel skid plates and uniquely tuned shocks and springs. Power comes from the venerable 2.0L EcoBoost (250HP and 277 lb-ft of TQ), which responds very well to some custom tuning. Approach and departure angles are improved slightly over the standard AWD models as well. The Tremor package adds $2,995 to the base MSRP of a Lariat or XLT Maverick. Our tester was also equipped with the Tremor Appearance Package (an additional $1,495), which adds some vinyl graphics and a metallic gray-painted roof. This is in addition to the styling touches found in the standard Tremor package, such as; bedside graphics, smoked headlights & taillights (which look very nice) and orange body accents. Personally, I feel the smoked lamps are one of the best styling features of the Tremor package.

Maverick_Tremor_019.jpg

You get a 2-inch hitch and some Tremor decals in the package. Notice the smoked tail lights as well.

Maverick_Tremor_005.jpg

The blacked out headlights are a nice upgrade as well.

On the road, the Tremor drives and handles substantially similar to an FX4 Maverick. We’re talking a matter of degrees here, not the orders of magnitude like you’d expect moving from an FX4 to a Raptor in F-150s. If you haven’t driven one of these little trucks, you should give it a try. You’ll quickly learn what the hype is all about. It rides and handles very much like a car or small SUV. That makes if much more approachable to non-traditional truck buyers.

There is a small mileage penalty (~1 mpg) for selecting the most capable maverick off-roader model, but I consider that well worth the price of admission. The one qualm I can consistently levy against the Maverick Tremor is the fact that you’re saddled with the lower 2,000 pound tow rating. The optional 4,000 pound max tow package is not available on the Tremor, which is a major bummer. Power from the 2.0L EcoBoost is decent, but an SCT tune really wakes these little rigs up.

We did get a chance to take the Tremor Maverick out on a mild trail, and it performs well to the performance limits you should expect. This is not a hard-core rock crawler. It’s a competent AWD based mini-truck that has enough grip to confidently handle slippery winter roads and somewhat sloppy trails. The upgraded rear differential and A/T tires are major upgrades over an FX4 in the off-road department. The moderate lift helps as well. It’s well suited for exploring many parks and nature preserves in our area, but I’m not so sure the added ground clearance is enough to be comfortable cruising our heavily rutted soft-sand beaches. Momentum is key in sand, and that’s tough to maintain if the undercarriage is dragging. Best to step up to a Ranger if your off-roading goals are more ambitious.

Maverick_Tremor_034.jpg

You can see the minor suspension lift here, along with the orange highlighted wheels.

Maverick_Tremor_032.jpg

Notice the Tremor specific shocks. There's an upgraded rear diff in there as well.

Maverick_Tremor_042.jpg

The 2.0L EcoBoost moves the Maverick around pretty well.

The Maverick’s interior gets a handful of styling upgrades, including Tremor stitching on the vinyl seats. However, beyond a couple buttons (one of which toggles the locking rear differential) the Tremor’s cabin is largely the same as Mavericks of similar trim. It’s a comfortable place to ride, though very utilitarian design. I honestly prefer the comfort of the cloth trimmed XLT seats over the vinyl skins found in the Lariat, but that’s just one man’s opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Ultimately, I can see the Maverick Tremor package making a solid choice for single-vehicle households in the Northeast. It packs a nice styling and capability upgrade over an FX4, without breaking the back. However, when you add the Lariat trim level and Tremor Appearance Package to the bill things start to get a little expensive. I feel the Maverick is best when it comes in around $30,000, but this truck can be built out into the low $40,000 range. Luckily, in the near future I’ll be getting my hands on a base model Hybrid Maverick. I expect that will be very interesting.

Maverick_Tremor_007.jpg

The Tremor package stands out pretty well in a world of regular Mavericks.

Maverick_Tremor_009.jpg

The orange decals make the Tremor easy to spot.

Maverick_Tremor_023.jpg

You also get Tremor specific seats.

Maverick_Tremor_036.jpg

If you were wondering how a Maverick stacks up to the older Ford Ranger, here you go.
-SID297

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is a really good looking small truck. IMO, Ford did a very good job with the Maverick. Honestly, if I was looking to buy a truck for around town use, this Tremor model would be at the top of my list. I really like maybe 80% of what I'm seeing and hearing about. The dash could use a bit more work, but it would suffice. And I would love to see the 2.7L EB in the Tremor.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Not terrible. Wish my wife wanted a new vehicle. So, how's the Makai Brewing and butcher in that picture? Nice T I T fuel truck.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Do these have any offroad prowess whatsoever? If I had to guess, I'd say nothing besides dirt roads and flat trails, but it would be pretty cool to turn one into a cool little rally truck since it's based off a car platform.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Not bad at all. But my goodness, ford could put a little more effort into cleaning up that under hood mess

andymarkv

Established Member
I feel the Maverick is best when it comes in around $30,000, but this truck can be built out into the low $40,000 range.​
If you were wondering how a Maverick stacks up to the older Ford Ranger, here you go.
-SID297
I agree on the price point. I ran through the builder and a base XL with AWD and 4K tow package to get the 3.81 gear vs the normal 3.63(the Tremor also gets the 3.81 gear) and nothing else is almost $29K.
I was curious what just painting the stock XL steelies looked like and saw this... Black painted steelies with Crown Vic centers on H&R Escape springs.
Maverick.jpg

Maverick 2.jpg

I find these things neat(because I commute a lot) but not cool enough to drop real money on them. It will be interesting to see what the used market thinks of them in the future.
A low cost/high mile unit I could mod cheap and pound back & forth to work might be entertaining.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
That is a really good looking small truck. IMO, Ford did a very good job with the Maverick. Honestly, if I was looking to buy a truck for around town use, this Tremor model would be at the top of my list. I really like maybe 80% of what I'm seeing and hearing about. The dash could use a bit more work, but it would suffice. And I would love to see the 2.7L EB in the Tremor.

They must be doing something right, look how far out they are on orders.

Not terrible. Wish my wife wanted a new vehicle. So, how's the Makai Brewing and butcher in that picture? Nice T I T fuel truck.

That's Big TIT. I'll be posting more about it in the future.

Do these have any offroad prowess whatsoever? If I had to guess, I'd say nothing besides dirt roads and flat trails, but it would be pretty cool to turn one into a cool little rally truck since it's based off a car platform.

It would be fine for mild duty, but nothing too serious. Articulation is minimal.

Not bad at all. But my goodness, ford could put a little more effort into cleaning up that under hood mess

As a general rule, EcoBoost engines are not pretty. The Ford GT may be the lone exception.

I agree on the price point. I ran through the builder and a base XL with AWD and 4K tow package to get the 3.81 gear vs the normal 3.63(the Tremor also gets the 3.81 gear) and nothing else is almost $29K.
I was curious what just painting the stock XL steelies looked like and saw this... Black painted steelies with Crown Vic centers on H&R Escape springs.
View attachment 1813809
View attachment 1813810

I find these things neat(because I commute a lot) but not cool enough to drop real money on them. It will be interesting to see what the used market thinks of them in the future.
A low cost/high mile unit I could mod cheap and pound back & forth to work might be entertaining.

It looks pretty good like that.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I don’t get the hate on the Maverick. It’s a good starter truck and this is the best version I’ve seen.
I can’t do the F150 Raptor size but I’m considering the Ranger Raptor for my next truck.
What’s the price difference between a decent Ranger (FX4) and this Maverick Tremor?
That’s a great size comparison to the old Ranger. I’d bet many of us here had one. I had 2 over the years and a little truck is useful. That’s a good reason Ford is making the Maverick
-J

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I went and built one:
Maverick Lariat 2.0L AWD
Shadow Black
Black Appearance Package
4K Tow Package
Black Onyx Interior
Power Moonroof
$40,480 MSRP

The Maverick Tremor just doesnt fancy me. Id rather get an actual truck for offroad duties like the Ranger Tremor or the F150 Tremor.

If they made a Maverick ST or Maverick Sport that was on-road performance tuned id be a bit more interested.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Kevin, but if you build an "actual" (larger) truck, the price increases, correct? Trucks are not cheap overall. So isn't that the point of the Maverick? Smaller, fewer features, and cheaper. If I really don't need a larger truck and have a set budget of, say, $40K, then the Maverick might become a good choice for me. Now if I needed a larger bed and/or needed more rugged off-road usage, than the Maverick drops from my possible choices. Make sense?

mariusvt

Established Member
Would love to see an st with the hipo 2.3 from the mustang dropped in.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
It is tough to see what role this would serve me. If I lived in the city and could only have one vehicle it would probably be a Ranger/Colorado or an Outback. For a Nth vehicle microtruck toy, $40k is a lot. I would probably instead look for a super clean old ranger. You can find AMAZING specimens for <$25k.

Users who are viewing this thread